PDA

View Full Version : Buying an engine thats been sat for 10 years....

Stanley
27-04-09, 07:22 PM
In my search for a new engine (E16SE), i have found one that is from a GSi that was sat for ten years in a garage.

It turns over, but wont fire due to not having the immobiliser fob.

All i need is the head and block.

Would you entertain such a predicament?

Obviously id fire a belt and fluids in, but can you reccomend any other parts it may need?

Cheers.

chimp007_uk
27-04-09, 07:24 PM
depends if water has got intot he bores and pitted them.

You'd need a water pump poss oil pump?!?

Check the compression to make sure the rings ok if you're going to reuse them.

paddy138
27-04-09, 07:28 PM
id whip the head off and inspect it and then you can look down into the bores then, sure a headgasket doesnt cost much and at least you know whats what

valvercorsa
27-04-09, 07:32 PM
an engine that has been stood for all that time is going to be abit dry, oil will be like glue, water with no antifreeze will rot block etc i would be wanting it really cheap. i would also think a good strip down and fresh bearing in her but thats me i like stripping an engine down to see what i have bought lol

Stanley
27-04-09, 07:34 PM
an engine that has been stood for all that time is going to be abit dry, oil will be like glue, water with no antifreeze will rot block etc i would be wanting it really cheap. i would also think a good strip down and fresh bearing in her but thats me i like stripping an engine down to see what i have bought lol

See, i personally cant be ****ed with all that lol.

New belt and fluids and whack it in IMO.

Sloth
27-04-09, 07:35 PM
ive fittted engines thats been sat 20 years with just new oil and water and theyre fine still.

Stanley
27-04-09, 07:36 PM
ive fittted engines thats been sat 20 years with just new oil and water and theyre fine still.

This is what i like to hear :thumb:

Its a reasonable price and its not tooo far from me (other side of the country, but thats better that usual!)

MK999
28-04-09, 01:47 AM
Didn't think any gsi engines had immob's?

craig green
28-04-09, 12:49 PM
If it turns over atleast the rings or pistons arent stuck to the bores. I was given a 1300 8v years ago by a mate & the pistons had stuck solid in the bores, we couldnt get them out atall.

Stanley
28-04-09, 12:51 PM
Didn't think any gsi engines had immob's?

I assume its an aftermarket affair.

valvercorsa
28-04-09, 06:39 PM
i bought a nova saloon that had done 33k been stood in a car port for 3yrs and within 1month of driving it popped head gasget and found out when i took head off to skim that block was cracked. had a astra gte that had been stood for around 5yrs and had a fair few miles on but that did the same popped head gasget within days. if its cheap enough mate go for it :) you maybe lucky :)