PDA

View Full Version : BIG WHEELS AND ARCHES

LewisJC
23-01-03, 01:29 PM
I've got the opertunity to now get some 16" rims with 205 tyres, and i've seen novas with wheels bigger than this. What needs doind to the rear arches to get this size wheel in there? I ask because I'm currently running 185-55-14's and they rub with people in the back, so how do I get away with 16's?

Lewis

mikeoxford
23-01-03, 01:40 PM
you see different novas get away with different things as the manufacturing tolerance for the nova was quite high back in them days

basically that means whats good for one mite not be another.......

for instance if the wheel arch has a say a 5mm manufacturing tolerance it means it can be 5mm wider or narrower and it would get through Quality Control.

so in all it could be 10mm say, which is a centimtere difrence!

thats just explaining the basics anyway - i dont know the actual tolerance.

as for wheels, the width of tyre there may be a problem. even if you get upto 17 inch wheels ur supposed to use nothing more than 200 wide tyres or you may have problems

in this game, especially with novas, its the offset thats the problem, you need to get under them quatro style arches!

rgv_stu
23-01-03, 02:06 PM
in this game, especially with novas, its the offset thats the problem, you need to get under them quatro style arches!

u mean quattro turbo ;) - standard quattro's had round arches - hehe

mike is right about the fact that what fits one car might not fit another

im running 195 - 50 - 15 on my calibra wheels and they only fit now i have hammered the arches round.

Nova-Boy
23-01-03, 02:50 PM
I am running 195 width on 15" rims with the 49mm offset and they fit ok. I had to cut the arche lips off (due to rust) and they dont rub with 5 peeps in it. With 205's you may have to flair the arches slightly (can be done with a 3"x4" plank between the tyre and arche) or cut them back up a little and re-weld etc.

LewisJC
23-01-03, 03:03 PM
So just lever the arch out a bit (after grinding the lip away) with a soft(ish) bit of wood to give more clearance. mmmm.

Aragorn
23-01-03, 05:15 PM
depends on lowering too standard will be able to fit larger wheels than -40mm and -40 larger than -60 before the mods begin

ive got 15" ET38's on mine with 195/45 and -40 drop no arch mods and no rubbing - but then it is a saloon so that'll be why :D

Pan@SW-CC
23-01-03, 05:59 PM
some 16" alloys are made with the correct 49mm ofset like the compomotives and most 4-stud irmscher/vauxhall alloys...it would be a good idea to get some stiff shocks if your slamming the car...40mm is ok as a mate has a stiff setup with -40mm and 16" compos

...although saying that, your getting 205 width tyres which will probably cause you the problems :| try and go for a maximum of 195