PDA

View Full Version : changing a lock set

SKoob
26-04-09, 10:51 AM
My key has snapped and I have now got a new lock set, I'm unsure as to how to change the ignition barrel though :confused: Bloke at vauxhall said I needed to be able to move it to position 1 but as I don't have a key I can't do that, any other ideas as to how to get the old barrel out. I understand if you don't want to post up in the forum but a pm would be great :thumb:

let_nova
26-04-09, 10:54 AM
pmd

CoolTiger
26-04-09, 12:15 PM
hammer a old key in there

novaguy08
26-04-09, 01:46 PM
agreed with cool tiger, since i changed my locks not 3 months ago iirc you need to put the original barrel to II and then take it out, the new one is set to open at I, which is agreeably annoying, once you get the old barrel out take a hammer to the locking mech so that it doesnt lock into the colomn put it back in and move the lock back to I then it will all go back together swimmingly!
However as i have jsut realized that the key broke in a lock your going to need to destroy the lock with the key stuck in it to recover it.

SKoob
26-04-09, 11:29 PM
unfortunately the key has not snapped off in the barrell, I tried jamming an old key in there and no joy, then tried a screwdriver and still no joy :( think i'm gonna have to drill it out. One thing I can say is I'd make a **** car thief lol

novaguy08
26-04-09, 11:37 PM
get a screw driver and a hammer, ram the screwdriver into the barrel, will eventually get it going

mowgli
26-04-09, 11:39 PM
pm'd