PDA

View Full Version : anyone in the nw lend me a steering wheel puller?

Dave.
23-04-09, 06:40 PM
as title, can anyone in the north west lend me a wheel pulller?

or even anyone further away, ill pay postage when i send it back :thumb:

Leeboo
23-04-09, 06:55 PM
What methods have you tried for removing the wheel so far? I've came across seriously stubborn steering wheels before but know how to remove them.

Dave.
23-04-09, 06:56 PM
hammer and centre punch, wriggling it, hitting it with a hammer, boiling water to try and expand the alloy outer, striking it from the back

probabley all of them lol, wont budge, only want to fit an astra gsi wheel lol

Mike
23-04-09, 06:57 PM
ive got one for sale lol brand new aswell lol

Leeboo
23-04-09, 07:06 PM
Well I've had two that just wouldn't budge. I found that beating the centre shaft or pulling the steering wheel hard didn't work. I just remove the nut and little washer and then beat the two sides of the steering wheel violently with the palms of my hands, maybe even use a mallet. And use a mallet to beat it from the back. May take a long time but should pop off in your face lol

L14MNP
23-04-09, 07:18 PM
^ Leave the nut on a couple of turns then you won't get a broken nose lol

Spudly
23-04-09, 07:20 PM
May take a long time but should pop off in your face lol

Thats why you always leave the nut on a few turns, and you should never beat the centre of the column as iirc theyre designed to collapse in the event of a crash and you can cause them to collapse slightly in beating it!

Leeboo
23-04-09, 07:32 PM
I never bother leaving it on a few threads as I am always expecting it to pop off therefore it doesn't hit me but yeah good idea!

Leeboo
23-04-09, 07:35 PM
you should never beat the centre of the column as iirc theyre designed to collapse in the event of a crash and you can cause them to collapse slightly in beating it!

Yeah and it can damage the threads making it a pain to refit the nut if you beat it with the nut off.

I learnt that no amount of pulling power will remove a steering wheel. Me and a mate put serious pull on a steering wheel (more than human power lol), but it doesnt help. It needs to be shocked from various angles IMO.

brainsnova
23-04-09, 07:43 PM
i have never been beaten by a steering wheel by pushing the bottom up and out slightly with your knees then rock the top or side and ping. oh and leave the nut on a few turns to save a near miss.

twistysnovagte
23-04-09, 07:52 PM
you need a bit of weight behind it lad,you want me to have a go lol.it cant be as stuborn as the nova gsi one in malls!

Dave.
23-04-09, 10:52 PM
you need a bit of weight behind it lad,you want me to have a go lol.it cant be as stuborn as the nova gsi one in malls!

ayee, next time youve got a spare few horus lol, nip up dude, nice one :thumb:

in this weekend if you want? :thumb:

L33 LEG
23-04-09, 10:55 PM
iv taken loads of wheels off, all been a tw4t to do!

the worst time was me and a few mates spent ages bashing and whacking it, spent a few nights at it. still didnt budge. then one night i just sat down held the wheel and turned it slightly and it came off lol

dont give up and eventually itl pop off :)

Southie
23-04-09, 11:37 PM
As I'm small this worked. Take the drivers seat out then lie on your back with your head in the footwell and with the soles of your feet kick kick pop off she blows. :D

Dave.
23-04-09, 11:45 PM
As I'm small this worked. Take the drivers seat out then lie on your back with your head in the footwell and with the soles of your feet kick kick pop off she blows. :D

ive literally just fitted my drivers seat again lol, and im 6ft 2" haha

worth a go though :thumb:

Southie
24-04-09, 12:04 AM
ive literally just fitted my drivers seat again lol, and im 6ft 2" haha

worth a go though :thumb:
Borrow a friend. At least his/her teeth will still be intact lol

rubachuk
24-04-09, 07:25 AM
I have one you can borrow in Rochdale if it's close enough for you (a steering wheel puller - not a friend). You'll need to be quick, I'm working in China for a fortnight from Monday. More than welcome to pick up this weekend and keep for the fortnight.

PM'd you a contact number.

Dod
24-04-09, 09:31 AM
I've one I'm willing to lend and I'm also in the North West, just a pity its the North West of a Different Country.

Southie
24-04-09, 10:05 AM
I have one you can borrow in Rochdale if it's close enough for you (a steering wheel puller - not a friend). You'll need to be quick, I'm working in China for a fortnight from Monday. More than welcome to pick up this weekend and keep for the fortnight.

Bring a small person back for him lol

gaznovalet
24-04-09, 10:22 AM
ive got a steering wheel puller aswell pm me if you stuck and need to borow it.will need to sort sum posting options. hope you get it sorted.

Tidy Max
24-04-09, 02:21 PM
as brainsnova said! i think it was brains who helped me out with that tip, i had all my interior out and 3 of us pulling on the steering wheel and it wouldn't budge, tried that method and yeah i went flying into the back of the car, but the wheel was off!!!

twistysnovagte
24-04-09, 04:03 PM
ill nip up dave as i fancy a mooch in the scrapper's this weekend too(see if there's any interesting bits i can take!

TIDY MAX I GAVE YOU A PM???

Graeme
24-04-09, 04:08 PM
Dave mentioned going to me about going to Mallys this weekend Andy, I can go tomorrow morning but that is it really if either of you are up for it

twistysnovagte
24-04-09, 05:08 PM
Dave mentioned going to me about going to Mallys this weekend Andy, I can go tomorrow morning but that is it really if either of you are up for itPM'D:thumb:

Dave.
24-04-09, 09:07 PM
PM'D:thumb:

i can go whenever dude, just let me know :thumb:

could you bring a door back for me graeme? from mals to the garage? :D

TIDGE
24-04-09, 09:09 PM
came to mine with a one peice rear bench as a gift and you can lend it :P

dave.gsi
25-04-09, 12:57 PM
i have a wheel puller in the garage, but i really cant be bothred buying an envelope and going to the post office, so it will be staying in my garage :p