PDA

View Full Version : cash for bangers...

Asa-James
22-04-09, 08:52 PM
so the government will give you £2,000 if you scrap your 10+ year old car (provided you have been the registered keeper for a year). that £2,000 has to be spent on a new car, so say you see a new shiny car for £10,000.
you can have it for £8,000! fantastic! if you have the money...
if not, you need to get finance, which means being accepted, and not everybody is lending money.
and if you do get finance, how much interest are you going to have to pay?
and doesnt finance mean you will be in more debt, which is where all this started?
oh, and you have to remember that when the car goes breasts skywards, you wont be able to fix it with a 10mm spanner and a lump hammer, so that means dealing with dealerships, which are not nice at the best of times.

so my question is, how many of you will be chopping your nova in for a new motor...?

Stuart
22-04-09, 08:57 PM
I would. nearly £2K profit lol.

But then factor in the dealers will probably up the price of new cars by £2K (or atleast a grand since thats what the govt are supplying). and also the uber loss in value over the first 3 years. Its basically a mouldy carrot infront of the horse lol

Pistol Pete
22-04-09, 09:15 PM
I think its a stupid idea. Take a look down your street and count the cars that are 9 years or older. Think back 2-3years ago when new cars were considered a disposable item, now there are few cars that will qualify for this scheme. And as already pointed out, yeah 2k off list price brings it down to 8k on a 10k car, BUT at the moment, who can afford to finance 8k on car repayments? I sure as hell cant!

nova_saloon
22-04-09, 09:17 PM
nobodies taking my Nova away! even if it would be about £1,998 profit

Stuart
22-04-09, 09:18 PM
Pete, YES :p

Jack
22-04-09, 09:19 PM
I posted about this a while go.

Remember, for the "economy" to be good, we all have to be poor and up to our eyeballs in debt. Fcuking idiots.

Andy
22-04-09, 09:20 PM
Fukkin government are sh1tehawks,another stupid,brainless idea on a whim.
They are totally off the plot.So we get 2 grand? has it occured to them that people with 10 year old cars have 10 year old cars for a reason?! Yes because they CANT AFFORD new ones!
When are they going to get in the real world?
Oh and the budget-another joke-Beer fags and petrol all gone up and "there is no quick fix" to the recession,but hey we will tax you to death and some more but your wages will still be the same.
Up yours you fukkin fat prick Brown!

Pistol Pete
22-04-09, 09:21 PM
Pete, YES :p

Yes what lol

General Baxter
22-04-09, 09:21 PM
my cars 11 years old, its worth over £4k what a bargin :)

Jack
22-04-09, 09:23 PM
"there is no quick fix"
Yes there is. Let some of the big manufacturers and bankers go down in flames. Offer incentives to Uk.biz to start manufacturing in house. Stop importing crap from China. Encourage people to save, not spend, and fcuk the banks who live on interest payments.

Andy
22-04-09, 09:27 PM
Razorjack for PM
Why cant they see things that we can?
People darent save because they dont trust banks anymore

bmw156
22-04-09, 09:27 PM
i think its a ****ing stupid idea, it pisses me off. if anything it will drive up the price of old cars up, for wanted ones, as i would rather sell my nova to you of you guys then scrap it.

and like said why would anyone want a new car when they are far to over engineered pieces of metal. and cost a bomb to repair, because they are over complicated.

General Baxter
22-04-09, 09:32 PM
who has the cars ?

is it like you scrap it get a receipt and take it to a dealer

or does the dealer take your car ?

Stuart
22-04-09, 09:37 PM
it will bathtub the value of cars.

ie high at the new end, dropping to feck all till 9.9years old then back up to just shy of £2K (for the more mundane 10year old cars that is)

AlexW
22-04-09, 09:42 PM
Thing is though, how long are they willing to keep it up?

If its only a couple of years its not going to make much differance, but if its for forseable future then its preety gay.

I guess it will mean my work will go up but meh.

They dont understand that its the ones with cars over 10years old (well maybe not some of us as were just homos) that cant afford a new car. Im sure everyone with a car over 10years would love a new car.

Meh

General Baxter
22-04-09, 09:43 PM
Im sure everyone with a car over 10years would love a new car.

bah new 4x4's are crap lol

mowgli
22-04-09, 09:47 PM
this idea was invented in germany.. and vw had to up the production of their small base model cars to cope. the problem in the uk is that we don't all want to buy ugly micras. so the money flows abroad anyway... and to be honest, apart from that tata tikes car, most of the dealers could afford to discount £2k on most cars anyway cos they aren't selling much stock now.

Spudly
22-04-09, 09:50 PM
Im sure everyone with a car over 10years would love a new car.

Speak for yourself i drive new cars all day long at work and own an 18 year old nova and a 15 year old cavvy and i prefer them all day long, its my worst nightmare to have to have a new car cos theyre all computer driven, all the "driver" does is push the buttons and thats shat imo!

large_steve182
22-04-09, 10:06 PM
say i buy 5 old crappy cars for a hundred each = $500
register them for a year. end of your i get 5 x $2000 = 10000 grand to buy a car?

Tidy Max
22-04-09, 10:24 PM
the main problem with this is...
SO you have a car, and its over 10 years, its worth 800quid, now the governemnt have decided to say wait don't sell it to someone who can't afford a more expensive car, let us sort you out 2K

now surely the amount of sub 2k cars is going to drop, WHY are people going to bother selling them for less, i realise this doesn't apply to all people selling a car older than 10 years, but still its seems like another daft initiative to bugger up average folks lifes!

joeSRI
23-04-09, 09:21 AM
now surely the amount of sub 2k cars is going to drop, WHY are people going to bother selling them for less, i realise this doesn't apply to all people selling a car older than 10 years, but still its seems like another daft initiative to bugger up average folks lifes!

I dont think they will decrease really because then those people who give their cars up for the 2k will have to buy a brand new car and like people are saying, who the fcuk can afford them? I hate politician scum lol

Tidy Max
23-04-09, 09:40 AM
well even if it only happens to 1% and say 300,000 over 10 year old cars get sold every year (completely made up figure, someone correct it if that statistic is actually floating around) then that STILL means that theres 3000 less available cars!

Either way its going to have a detrimental effect! they are just ****ers im telling you know, i cannot wait to get some coin and bugger off to france!

Jack
23-04-09, 10:20 AM
Speak for yourself i drive new cars all day long at work and own an 18 year old nova and a 15 year old cavvy and i prefer them all day long, its my worst nightmare to have to have a new car cos theyre all computer driven, all the "driver" does is push the buttons and thats shat imo!
AW06 was doing sarcasm, spud :p

so the money flows abroad anyway...
Good call. How many british cars are worth £2k?

First, what are the british (owned) car manufacturers? Here's a few according to Wikipedia:

AC, Ariel, Ascari, Aston, Bentley, Bristol, Caparo, Caterham, Daimler, Ginetta, McLaren, Morgan, Noble, Radical, Robin Hood, Ultima, Westfield.

So, unless the government are offering you £2k off a new Ariel Atom, where is the money going? Yep, out of the country.

Frankly, this is the stupidest idea ever to rebuild the economy. Our country is importing more than it exports, so what do we do? Encourage our citizens to buy MORE foreign goods and send more money out of the country.

I seriously cannot believe the government have been stupid enough to not realise the implications of this. The only reasoning I can think is that Labour have lost the government, they know it, so they're fcuking things up as best they can so when Cameron gets his seat in No. 10 he'll have such a massive economic mess to clean up he'll spend a few years having to pull the reigns on the economy, making him look bad.

Vote BNP lol

Lee
23-04-09, 12:13 PM
The only reasoning I can think is that Labour have lost the government, they know it, so they're fcuking things up as best they can so when Cameron gets his seat in No. 10 he'll have such a massive economic mess to clean up he'll spend a few years having to pull the reigns on the economy, making him look bad.

Nail. Head.

Cameron had the right idea from day one. Capitalism is boom and bust. There is no way to get away from it. But what Darling is doing is not letting the country properly bust, so he's just offsetting the disaster for when him and his useless boss are out of power, someone else has to deal with it.

mikey14sr
23-04-09, 02:13 PM
As per normal for every government tbh!

hmm, wonder if that means you can get 2k off the price of a kit on the proviso that you'll hand your daily driver over once it's built up and on the road?

craig green
23-04-09, 05:09 PM
Someone needs to ram raid 10 downing street with an old Granada.

rednova
23-04-09, 05:17 PM
Someone needs to ram raid 10 downing street with an old Granada. with an invoice attached for £2000:thumb:

joeSRI
23-04-09, 05:19 PM
with an invoice attached for £2000:thumb:

lol lol

Phoenixhairart
23-04-09, 05:22 PM
I would never sell my car for 2k because i like the shape of older cars even if i could afford a new car! some people are car collector and restorers!

Pistol Pete
23-04-09, 05:32 PM
AW06 was doing sarcasm, spud :p

Good call. How many british cars are worth £2k?

First, what are the british (owned) car manufacturers? Here's a few according to Wikipedia:

AC, Ariel, Ascari, Aston, Bentley, Bristol, Caparo, Caterham, Daimler, Ginetta, McLaren, Morgan, Noble, Radical, Robin Hood, Ultima, Westfield.

So, unless the government are offering you £2k off a new Ariel Atom, where is the money going? Yep, out of the country.

Frankly, this is the stupidest idea ever to rebuild the economy. Our country is importing more than it exports, so what do we do? Encourage our citizens to buy MORE foreign goods and send more money out of the country.

I seriously cannot believe the government have been stupid enough to not realise the implications of this. The only reasoning I can think is that Labour have lost the government, they know it, so they're fcuking things up as best they can so when Cameron gets his seat in No. 10 he'll have such a massive economic mess to clean up he'll spend a few years having to pull the reigns on the economy, making him look bad.

Vote BNP lol

IIRC the whole idea is to get the motor manufacturing industry going again. Honda, BMW, Ford, etc, etc....

Sloth
23-04-09, 08:28 PM
right. sloths 3 step plan for the uk.
1. stop all entry to foregin nationals. we're full. end of.
2. slap massive tax embargos on foreign imports. then peeps will buy u.k produce.
3 use said tax to restart u.k business and manufacture, i.e open a u.k government car manufacturer. owned by the u.k people. do the same for all other industries we'd otherwise rely on importing heavily for. this provides jobs, and goods.

its gonna take 10 years to sort this shiote out, but thats the one way i see to do ity quickly.

Lee
24-04-09, 12:07 AM
Great idea sloth apart from..

1. No foriegn nationals means no one to do the jobs the lazy ass british nationals cant be assed to do. (WHy be a cleaner when the state will pay for your beer and fags?)

2. What UK Produce? We are a consumer nation. Cut off the imports and we are royally fooked

3. Said tax will have to be used to pay back the 400 odd billion we now owe as a nation. Said tax would not be generated anyway because no fooker can afford to pay it.

dj_wudgey
24-04-09, 11:05 AM
as stated i think ill keep mine!! **** how ever much they want to give me for my nova's