PDA

View Full Version : far to noisey for to long!

nova_saloon
22-04-09, 08:41 PM
Started up my car this morning was fine little tappy as usual for about 20-30 seconds with the oil light on going to work and then half way through the day was fine when started for about a minute to move it, but then i started it as i was leaving work and the oil light came on as usual and was tapping away, but it went on for a good 5 minutes and did shut up until the engine was at operating tempreture when i was almost home. What could be the cause? thin oil.... blocked pipe (highly doubt) crappy pump...

Any help would be great! :thumb: btw C20xe Engine

Southie
22-04-09, 08:44 PM
How long has the oil light been coming on for and why have you not done anything sooner. It's there for a reason!!!

nova_saloon
22-04-09, 08:45 PM
well it comes on for about 10-30 seconds on startup but not for long usually!? the fact it lasted 5 mins happened today! and oil lights are usually on for a couple of seconds on startup anyways

Southie
22-04-09, 08:50 PM
Hydrolic tappets get worse over time and can tend to tappet then go once warm, but because you've had the oil light coming on it sounds like the oil pump may not be getting sufficiate oil to the oilways.
When did you last change the oil and if recently have you used the wrong sort or put too much in?

nova_saloon
22-04-09, 08:53 PM
it may of had to much for a wee bit aint really to sure, and im doing an oil change tomorrow and putting 10w40 semi synthetic. ive got an oil pressure sender unit that im going to fit when i do it tomorrow so i wanna see how that reads, probs faulty anyways but worth a shot! anything else you can think of? and whats changing the oil pump like never done it on a c20xe?

mowgli
22-04-09, 08:55 PM
you have to remove the exhaust, sump & crank pulleys, so its a bit of a job.
try new oil first.

Benn
22-04-09, 08:58 PM
Oil light should be on for that long!

Tappets only get noisy when they start to clog up with dirty oil and crap.

Southie
22-04-09, 08:59 PM
It's all I can really suggest but change the oil for a decent brand and not some krap. Oil pumps I've never changed but someone on here will have.
Good luck hope you get it sorted out:D

nova_saloon
22-04-09, 09:00 PM
thats abit pants isnt it now, and yeh will try new oil, really hope it works!

Benn
22-04-09, 09:03 PM
Change the oil and filter, make sure the light gos off and stays off, drive it and get it frigging hot, then when its still hot drop the oil out. Refill when cooled with new and get it hot again.

Good way to clean it out. I'd do the tappits first.

nova_saloon
22-04-09, 09:09 PM
what replace them all?

tom reid
22-04-09, 09:49 PM
Are you sure there was enough oil in the engine, when it was tapping/oil light on?

Benn
22-04-09, 10:02 PM
what replace them all?

No you take them out and you can open them and clean them out with clean oil,

See my project thread i've just done mine.

General Baxter
22-04-09, 10:10 PM
Are you sure there was enough oil in the engine, when it was tapping/oil light on?

at last, someone posted it lol

tom reid
22-04-09, 10:27 PM

You takin the piss Baxter:roll: , or were you thinkin the same;)

General Baxter
22-04-09, 10:28 PM
I'm sorry but if its low on oil, i want the engine to explode into a zillion bits

check your oil,water,wheelnuts every week :D

Spudly
22-04-09, 10:57 PM
Also it could be a snapped off, or bunged up oil pickup in the sump as mine snapped off and i was told the topend was goosed, no it wasnt lol

Rich
22-04-09, 11:29 PM
No one has mentioned it yet, but a common problem is the oil pressure relief valve. Its in the front of the oil pump, if u look under the bumper there will be a 22mm(i think?) bolt. Take this out and a spring will come out, then there should be a little cap in there. This should be moving freely, if its stuck pull it out, grease up the hole and refit it.

nova_saloon
22-04-09, 11:46 PM

im not sodding thick, i check it more often then every week cause there leaky little *******s :)

Will F
23-04-09, 08:45 AM
If you run/drive it with the oil light on AT ALL you deserve the engine to explode tbh.

lol

As soon as the engine fires (usually just before - when cranking) the oil light should go off! Its either the relief valve sticking, a shagged pump or you have some crap in teh pick up.

Whatever it is, it needs sorting asap!!

valvercorsa
23-04-09, 09:37 AM
i was always told that once that light is on expect bad things, cos it starves the bearing's of oil then they wear at a stupid rate. i no as i had to rebuild my bottom end from oil starvation. (powercoated rocker cover) sand blocked oil pump then drove ome about 2 miles with light on then had a slight like tappet noise and it was bottom end. so before anymore damage could be done it was stripped.