PDA

View Full Version : Door Knock!

whitey
22-01-03, 12:06 AM
Ive got a knocking noise coming from my passenger door i think!!
It only really happens when i accelerate quite quick or pop the accelerater whilst driving but sounds like say a lock barrel rattling! (Cant be coz i aint got any!!)

Im thinkin that it could be the winder mechanism!? But cant really tell coz i cant drive and look for it at same time!

Any Ideas! It aint serious, just annoyin!

Whites

locky
22-01-03, 12:12 AM
Sound a bit daft i no, but its a good possibility it could be ur door pins!
They are quite noisy when worn!

whitey
22-01-03, 12:25 AM
Im not too sure bout that! Got central locking, so that holds them quite still, it seems to come from the other end of the door! At one point i thought it was engine mount but it deffo in or around door! It is literally a knock knock noise, quite loud and when i chug along in wrong gear for example or pull away quick!

Ben (lurk75)
22-01-03, 12:44 AM
i had a simalr problem it was the black box that is lock's/unlock's the of the central locking unit. Just pop the door pnael off and open and shut the door and see what moves around :!:

whitey
22-01-03, 08:44 AM
Nope, the door cards are already off as im preparing it for a respray! The solenoids are in pretty well and like I said it sounds like the middle to other end of the door!!

Almost as if its the hinge, which it cant be! That far across. There nothin in the door that moves like that, its all fixed, i just cant wiggle everything in the same way that the car does to make the noise.

Whites :twisted:

ade
22-01-03, 10:00 AM
check the locking mechanism on the b pillar - mine slipped (screws came undone) and the door rattled - although it was locked it was loose.

Check youve got nothing in the door bottoms - like a bit of metal of summut (amazing what you find in the door bottoms - I found ?1 once!)

If the door is stripped ready for s[praying, jump up and down on the sill with the door open and see if that makes it rattle.

Ade

locky
22-01-03, 07:47 PM
Check the hinge, the sound travels, wen i had that prob i thought it was under the bonnet!

Chris LR
23-01-03, 01:03 AM
Honest to good, When I took my car in to have it's door sprayed the guy left a screwdriver in my driver's door. Drove me crazy for weeks.

All I'm saying is, don't over-look the obvious.

whitey
23-01-03, 10:53 AM
HA TRUST me there is NOTHING in the door.

I have painted them with hammerite and treated them, so there is definately nothing in them! Otherwise I would see it, I've checked!

I'm going out in a bit and i'm going to really give the door a good shake! Probably fall off knowing my luck or reveal more rust! LOL!

Let ya know what it was!

locky
23-01-03, 05:36 PM
[quote]Sound a bit daft i no, but its a good possibility it could be ur door pins!
They are quite noisy when worn!

Sorry m8, wasnt explained enuff, i was thinkin of this on the way home lol!
Rite, wot i meant by ur door pins was ur hinge pins! open up your door, and on the edge (door handle side) try and lift the door up, if ther is alot of travel in the door going up n down, its the hinge pins, try not 2 rip the door off tho lol

Pan@SW-CC
23-01-03, 05:53 PM
OMG!!! I have this exact same problem!

a rattly noise comming from the passenger door...middle to front!

I too have the door card off while waiting for respray and used to hear it when the card was on.

I originally thought it was the thin bar that connects the inner door handle to the lock, but I taped it up and wrapped it with sponge and went for a spin but the same noise was there!

I have brand spanking new door pins too and the noise was there b4 I replaced them :?

WTF is it :?:

shanehandley
23-01-03, 10:04 PM
if u got a side mount ariel it could be that. Thats what it was for me it just needed tighting up.

Pan@SW-CC
23-01-03, 10:17 PM
nah...nova arials are on the driver side wing :)

I've removed all wires from inside the door other than my window/locking loom, which is tied down

whitey
23-01-03, 11:41 PM
Still not sure! Havnt really had time to check the door over so I am going to spend some time tomorrow!

I shall defo let you lot know tomorrow coz if I don't find it I'll have the bloody door off!

ade
24-01-03, 10:14 AM
lol!

Get someone to sit in the passenger seat with the door panel off and listen to it/watch it - that should help you narrow the locaton of the knock right down - maybe even see it happen. I reckon its the window or winder mechanism. Mine knocks when I close the door quick

Ade

Aragorn
24-01-03, 10:24 AM
what about the door stay?

if uve stripped it down there is a chance uve removed the pin for it and its ratting about

have u checked glove box? ecu? both are over in that corner and could be loose

ive had a rattle i thaught was coming from the boot for months, then i emptied the shit outta the boot and thaught it was the exhuast hitting the rear baem or summat - turned out the rear anti-roll bar is loose so its rattling up and down when i go over bumps

need to fix that today infact if it ever stops raining

Pan@SW-CC
24-01-03, 04:19 PM
Yea...I had a feeling it could be the anti roll bar or something down there...gonna be stripping it all soon to put a GSi ARB on with my new front shocks/springs...will also be doing the bushes while I'm at it...if the rattle is still there after that I'll be pulling out what hair I have left on my head! :cry:

whitey
24-01-03, 04:35 PM
Spend 30 mins earlier playin with the door and still no joy!!

It is deffo the door, can't be any thing else trust me!

If you heard the sound you'd see what I mean! In answer to Ades theory bout winder mechanism then i don't think it is!

One way to check is if Pan has a MK1 or mk2? I got mk2, if he has mk1 then it can't be as they different!

I wiggled door and it doesn't travel very far! Nothing seems to have fallen out of place and nothin moves that much when the door is closed except the inner part of the hinge! GREASY POO!!! But this is the same on te drivers door and so I don't think it can be that!!

STRESS! :twisted:

Pan@SW-CC
24-01-03, 04:46 PM
I have a mk1 with mk2 front end...what was the question?

whitey
24-01-03, 08:20 PM
Well your window mechaism won't be the same then so if its the same prob, then it isn't the window mechansim!

nova dosed
24-01-03, 11:27 PM
Ive got a feeling it must be one of them things with novas lol. I have the exact same problem but mine is on the drivers door right by my seat and i cant find my clunk its doin my head in as well it when the car snaps when harsh accelerating or sometimes in traffic im running outa ideas to. If anyone finds out what it is please let me know.

thanks