PDA

View Full Version : Building a web page/site on the cheap.

Stanley
22-04-09, 12:48 PM
Im looking to build a simple / easy web page for me and a mate, for our DJing/events.

I have webspace, and a domain, but want two, maybe three pages for pictures and downloads etc etc.

They are all live recordings, so i suppose i own the copyrights.

Is there any easy to use methods?

Cheers.

Jack
22-04-09, 12:52 PM
Notepad comes free on Windows. Get learning HTML :D

Bear in mind if you want to host the music online, you're better off using a dedicated filedump such as Rapidshare or whatever, as music will no doubt eat your site bandwidth.

Stanley
22-04-09, 12:53 PM
Notepad comes free on Windows. Get learning HTML :D

Bear in mind if you want to host the music online, you're better off using a dedicated filedump such as Rapidshare or whatever, as music will no doubt eat your site bandwidth.

Yeah ive got a seperate account with lots of space, somewhere....:wtf:

MyNovaSr
22-04-09, 01:05 PM
Yeah ive got a seperate account with lots of space, somewhere....:wtf:

Just get MS frontpage, anyone can use that, does all the hard work for you :tard: .

Prey
22-04-09, 01:38 PM
Just get MS frontpage, anyone can use that, does all the hard work for you :tard: .

Nooooooooooooooooooo.

Prey
22-04-09, 01:40 PM
If youre prepared to put a few hours in then learning the basics yourself is well doable. Of course the easiest way is to pay someone to do it but....

Jack
22-04-09, 03:39 PM
Seriously, avoid programs like Frontpage and Dreamweaver at all costs. They create tons of garbage in your code and if something breaks its a nightmare to fix.

I taught myself by starting out on the basics on www.htmlgoodies.com - have a nose on there to get to grips with the basics. Make a folder on your hard drive and just play about making pages to test things and get the basics down, then move onto more advanced stuff.

Look at some websites you like the layout of, then try to replicate their design (if you're feeling brave, look at the source code, but most sites are awful for code design).

Remember, you don't need bells and whistles to make a good site - a clean, basic layout will look good and be more likely to work cross-browser.