PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Excel

craig green
22-04-09, 11:08 AM
Anyone able to tell me how to use it or even link me to a good tutorial?

I might be able to score some employment at last if I can demonstrate I know how to use it.

Andy_L
22-04-09, 11:53 AM
Anyone able to tell me how to use it or even link me to a good tutorial?

I might be able to score some employment at last if I can demonstrate I know how to use it.

Craig,

what do you need to be able to do? Have you got a copy of Excel at home?

Youtube (yes really) has some good info on things to do with Excel.

Jack
22-04-09, 12:20 PM
Theres a whole host of online sites that have various tutorials.

If you really don't know where to begin and have zero knowledge, the Excel For Dummies books are good. Depends how far you want to take it though, it can be quite powerful when you get into the VBA stuff.

craig green
22-04-09, 12:40 PM
No idea what I need to do, no Excel on this PC.

Just been going through something I found & after 15 mins my eyes are killing. Odd how car forums don't do that even after posting & browsing all day.

Andy_L
22-04-09, 01:49 PM
RJ's idea is a good one.

Aren't there sites that you can use online where you can play about with spreadsheets. Ok not Excel but will be similar.

Southie
22-04-09, 01:53 PM
Craig sent you a link via PM :D

Jack
22-04-09, 03:19 PM
My advice would be to get ahold of Excel and have a play. Its one of those things where you need to learn hands on, else it will all be too easily forgotten or get confusing.

Its also worth having a real, working example to play with - so maybe take a lok at some online guides and mock up a few spreadsheets (personal banking/finance sheets for example) and once you've set them up, try to customize them and look for guides on how to make it do what YOU want it to do.

Stuart
22-04-09, 07:40 PM
got a googlemail account?

if so then google documents has a spreadsheet function, its pretty powerful in terms of doing the bread and butter work Excel does.

If you have a semi switched on brain, an hour playing about with Excel will see you pretty much at the same level most folks are

craig green
22-04-09, 07:43 PM
I've watched about an hours worth of tutorials on Youtoob. I feel a lot more savvy with it now tbh. My eyes killed though due to the poor focus.
It needs to be excel specifically though as that is what the employer has shown an interest in.

Tip... Don't lie on your CV!

MK999
22-04-09, 07:54 PM

Legendary lol

craig green
22-04-09, 07:55 PM
It's the only white lie on my CV, just to bolster up the sentance with my PC/computing skills.
Too bad forum posting isn't a recognised occupation.

Stuart
22-04-09, 08:00 PM
I've watched about an hours worth of tutorials on Youtoob. I feel a lot more savvy with it now tbh. My eyes killed though due to the poor focus.
It needs to be excel specifically though as that is what the employer has shown an interest in.

google docs/open office spreadsheet etc all behave about 97% the same as Excel so even to get a play about with "=A1+1" and all that toss its a start as opposed to going in having only watched a few vids lol