PDA

View Full Version : Buying Info

wayne_inman
21-01-03, 11:47 PM
ok peeps im fairly new to this forum so anyhelp would be appreciated. Im going to look at a 2.0 16v nova on saturday and was wondering if there is anything I should look for before buying. The guy who is selling it seems to know what he is talking about but I would like to make sure its all done properly.
Cheers, Wayne

Ben (lurk75)
21-01-03, 11:57 PM
My personal choice would be to buy a standard nova and then get the work done yourself so you know the quality etc, but some basic tips for buying a nova are...

Check for rust in the following places, the boot floor, the bottoms of the doors, the rear arches, the battery tray and around the engine bay.

Check the door locks and ignition as a lot have been stolen at some point in there lifes.

There will probably be some wear on the drivers seat bolster.

As its a 2.0l 16v that your looking at look for the quality of the seam welding of the engine bay (if done) Check to see if there has been any strengthining on the shell. Have a look at the soldering on the wiring to see if you can tell if its been professionally done.
Ask him what Engine mounts and drive shafts he has used in the car.

Apart from these just do the usual checks that you would looking at any cars eg: tyre wear, turn on full lock etc etc...

Good luck :!:

wayne_inman
22-01-03, 12:19 AM
cheers for the info mate. the guy who is selling it says he has seam welded the engine bay but i will check anyway. i did have a nova sr a couple of years ago that i was going to get a valver engine in but i just thought i would buy one already done when i could afford the insurance.

Ben (lurk75)
22-01-03, 12:31 AM
let us know how you get on.