PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with NO m.o.t

Tidy Max
22-04-09, 08:24 AM
As above? what happens if your caught driving without it!

andrew1988
22-04-09, 08:30 AM
Penalties
The penalty system for illegal vehicles is intended to encourage drivers to obey the law and ensure that they have a full driving licence and that their vehicle is legal and roadworthy.

No Tax on Vehicle
A £60 fixed penalty notice and your vehicle will be seized by the Police.

The DVLA will also seek to recover the unpaid tax back from you.
No Insurance on Vehicle

A £200 fixed penalty notice, 6 penalty points on your licence and your vehicle will be seized by the Police.If the fine is unpaid, the case will go to court. This could ultimately end in disqualification.
No MOT on Vehicle

A £60 fixed penalty notice
No Driving Licence

A £60 fixed penalty notice, 3 penalty points on your licence and your vehicle will be seized by the Police.
In some cases, the matter will be referred directly to court.

Thats taken from a local constabulary website.

Looking at it now, doesnt seem too bad. I think theyre minimum figure tbh

I got caught by tax camera on way to mot and got a fine of £225

Tidy Max
22-04-09, 08:49 AM
fcuk me, thats well bad! anyone here ever managed to blag there way off??

Southie
22-04-09, 08:53 AM
Have you been caught with having no MOT then???

Tidy Max
22-04-09, 09:05 AM
nope! thank god!!

mowgli
22-04-09, 09:07 AM
the only way you can legally drive with no mot is if you are on your way to a pre-booked mot test.....

Tidy Max
22-04-09, 09:17 AM
if you got to a test and fail, then can you legally drive it back home to do the repairs on it?

andrew1988
22-04-09, 09:20 AM
yup

mikey14sr
22-04-09, 09:36 AM
if you got to a test and fail, then can you legally drive it back home to do the repairs on it?

No in my experience, as not having an mot is something that will invalidate your insurance. I've done it lots of times in the past myself but as the mot station is only 2 minutes away and the rozzers are rarely about I've got away with it, but nowadays tend to just leave the car there for them to fix it and take the hit on the bank balance.

Jack
22-04-09, 10:16 AM
No Driving Licence

A £60 fixed penalty notice, 3 penalty points on your licence and your vehicle will be seized by the Police.
Anyone else find that slightly ironic? No license, so we'll endorse your non-existant license with 3 points. LOL lol

I got caught by tax camera on way to mot and got a fine of £225
You should have contested that, as said you're allowed to drive the vehicle to a pre-booked MOT station with no MOT or VED, so long as you have valid insurance (although this is where the law munches itself, as some - not all - insurance policies say to be valid, you need to have MOT/VED).

I'm sure I read somewhere the DVLA said you're not allowed to drive the car home if it fails the MOT. Of course back in the day, most coppers would let you off for something like that, but nowadays its the ideal thing for the government to jump on and make a fast buck :roll:

andrew1988
22-04-09, 10:19 AM
I have contested it RJ, just waiting back to here from them. Thought the dvla would have more sense to check if there was an mot that day. I mean the "offence" was recorded nearly exactly an hour before it had an mot. ****ing morons lol

Jack
22-04-09, 10:22 AM
Good stuff. Let us know how you get on :)

Did the car pass btw? If so then I'd guess they'd have a log of the date/time of MOT on their records.

andrew1988
22-04-09, 10:26 AM
Yeah, it passed. Dodgy as ****. But its logged as a pass!!!

L33 LEG
22-04-09, 10:32 AM
fcuk me, thats well bad! anyone here ever managed to blag there way off??

id hardly call a £60 fine well bad :wtf:

L14MNP
22-04-09, 11:17 AM
Non endorsable FTW. Still don't do it though kiddies!

Adamw5433
22-04-09, 11:28 AM
Anyone else find that slightly ironic? No license, so we'll endorse your non-existant license with 3 points. LOL lol

The 3 points are suspended until you get a licence.
Say you get 3 points in 2006, then gain a licence in 2009.
The points will be effective from the 2009 date.

Its the same with being banned from driving without a licence.
You be automaticly banned from day 1 of having a legal licence.

Its all bolox really.

L14MNP
22-04-09, 11:37 AM
One that thing that really is bollocks is if sent down and banned from driving the ban is effective immediately as is the prison sentance, so if jailed for 10 years and banned for five it will be off your licence by the time you get out lol.

I'm 90% sure that's the way it is at present but there are plans to change it so the ban starts when the prison sentance has been served?

As for being endorsed with points before you have a licence that type of thing is a waste of time for 9/10 of the kind of driver to be in that situtation as I doubt they will ever apply for a licence anyway. lol

Tidy Max
22-04-09, 04:53 PM
id hardly call a £60 fine well bad :wtf:

you also have multiple cars one being an e30 cab!

im still on below minimum wage, so it is bad!

(i actually read it wrong and thought that it was 200 quid plus 6 points!) lol