PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Top Mounts-fitting

doug_sri
21-04-09, 08:03 PM
Just received my adjustable top mounts from compbrake.

I havnt seen them yet but just wondering if there is anything I should know when it comes to fitting them. Running spax rsx coilovers.

When it comes to adjusting the camber what is the best way to do this? Will be fitting them while the car is up on a ramp, dont know if this makes it any easier

Any advice at all would be good as i really dont know much about them

Cheers

doug_sri
22-04-09, 11:27 PM
bttt

Will F
23-04-09, 08:46 AM
You cant just 'adjust the camber'!

You need to take it somewhere to get the geometry set up...

Are they concentric or eccentric?

mulletor
23-04-09, 09:00 AM
of course you can adjust the camber. you just need to find a good starting point before you get the geometry done..
i have recently fitted a set of these and i set them back a bit and out a little. to give you slightly less camber and more castor.

tom_beverley
23-04-09, 10:51 AM
I think what Will is trying to say is that you cannot accurately just set them up by eye. Theres no way you could accurately set both sides to the same setting.

Obviously you will need to adjust them to an acceptable setting to drive by eye but then the ideal solution would be to take them to a laser alignment place and nicely ask if either they or yourself can play around with the geometry.

I can't remember the settings advised in the rally build book but somewhere around 1.50 degrees negative camber is ideal IIRC

MK999
23-04-09, 11:46 AM
You can get relatively inexpensive camber guages from various places like demon tweeks etc. Clubman race teams etc don't all shoot down to kwik fit between rounds lol

doug_sri
23-04-09, 01:49 PM
You cant just 'adjust the camber'!

You need to take it somewhere to get the geometry set up...

Are they concentric or eccentric?

dont have a clue about the above question, didnt realise there was so many different types. My main reason for getting them was i needed to replace my standard top mounts so thought I may as well get these ones rather than standard.

I might ask vauxhall to set it up when i take it for its mot if i cant get hold of the equipment myself

tom_beverley
23-04-09, 02:06 PM
Theres concentric which have three IIRC holes and eccentric which have many holes around the edge. Concentric ones one often described as 'fixed' and more of direct replacent for standard topmounts whereas the eccentric ones are adjustable so very handy for fine tuning geometry.

Forgot about the camber gauges too, that would be a solution but if you're not constantly adjusting the camber then get the geometry laser aligned :thumb:

Will F
23-04-09, 04:31 PM
of course you can adjust the camber. you just need to find a good starting point before you get the geometry done..
i have recently fitted a set of these and i set them back a bit and out a little. to give you slightly less camber and more castor.

lol back a bit from where? even a few mm out makes a HUGE difference and makes the car undrivable!!!

Go for the fixed type - sounds like you dont need the adjustable type.

Southie
23-04-09, 04:34 PM
lol back a bit from where? even a few mm out makes a HUGE difference and makes the car undrivable!!!

Go for the fixed type - sounds like you dont need the adjustable type.
Like these as this is what I've fitted on mine. Cannot say what its like yet as the car is still in the garage since they've been put on. lol

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p379/SOUTHIE01/TMVNC.jpg

doug_sri
23-04-09, 07:41 PM
oh well ive got the eccentric ones, will see how it goes fitting them, for knockhill where i use the car most the corners are right handers so best to have a little more camber on the passenger side i suppose and the car will only be on the road for going to and from mot station really

Thanks for the info