PDA

View Full Version : getting a nova on a JIG

a2lt16v
21-04-09, 10:34 AM
is there still places that could put my nova on a JIG to check thats its still nova shaped. it pulls to the left still i thought it was doing this because the cross member had snapped and the tie bar fell off:roll: but even after new cross member and strengthening its still doing it

can tracking cause pulling to the left

Jay
21-04-09, 10:36 AM
can tracking cause pulling to the left

Yes

a2lt16v
21-04-09, 10:40 AM
next question then does anyone run coil overs on there nova and it actually handles well mine seems to have so much camber im running on the side walls (well not quite but its too much)

can anyone give me a measurement from the front arch to the middle of the wheel as a starter (3 door flat arch type)

my front arch is below my tire tread

Matt
21-04-09, 10:42 AM
Your running standard topmounts?

a2lt16v
21-04-09, 10:44 AM
yeah standard top mounts i havent got round to getting those adjustable ones yet

someone put me off saying that i have made the car stiff enough already with seam welding coil overs and poly bushes and if i put those top mounts in i will probably smash more than the cross member this time

Matt
21-04-09, 10:51 AM
How will topmounts make it stiffer?

And the seam welding allows the shell to take more stress not only make it stiffer.

I'd invest in a set of eccentric topmounts and have your wheel allingment properly checked out/ set-up.

a2lt16v
21-04-09, 10:53 AM
do the top mounts not have a bearing in or are they still rubber mounted

i thought that they were solid ali with a bearing in them where as the standard ones have a bush in there

do i want concentric or eccentric

Matt
21-04-09, 10:59 AM

i thought that they were solid ali with a bearing in them where as the standard ones have a bush in there

Hmm, that's the only thing I can think of that might make a difference.

Not an expert on topmounts but I'd say eccentric ones are more suited for sorting out your camber issues.

a2lt16v
21-04-09, 11:12 AM
maybe i should try some of them then

its just it doesnt feel right kind of heavy on the steering but only in one direction. think its just going to be a process of elimination

bmw156
21-04-09, 11:57 AM
sounds stupid but tyre pressures all ok, if one was low and one high. might effect the handling?

Welsh Dan
21-04-09, 12:06 PM

do i want concentric or eccentric

They have a bearing in, you need eccentric ones and a full geometry check :thumb: .

a2lt16v
21-04-09, 12:08 PM
i was just thinking that lol i will die if i find one of the tires is flat

i can never tell as they are really stiff side walled yokos

Southie
21-04-09, 12:13 PM
When having your nova on a jig...

... don't forget your shoes lol

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p379/SOUTHIE01/NOVAJIGSHOE.png

a2lt16v
21-04-09, 12:19 PM
that is funny i love it

Rich
21-04-09, 07:26 PM
For a start it sounds like your running the coilovers too low, will never handle well if the shocks have no travel in them. When you put them on you will need your tracking done as it will be out due to lowering the car. You have alot of camber because the cars so low, adjustable top mounts will be able to help with camber. The car will also sit lower with the alloy topmounts as they are smaller which means you can adjust your coilovers so you have more travel and still have it looking low.

a2lt16v
22-04-09, 09:52 AM
i still have around 60mm of thread left on my coil overs which would be rediculously low if i went down to the bottom of the threaded body

has anyone got a dimension from there arch lip to the wheel centre so i can get an idea of where you run yours

i have tried al sorts of suspension 40mm gmax, 60mm gmax, koni adjustables, avo coil overs, and now the spax RSX coil overs im on now

the 40mm GMAX was the best

Rich
22-04-09, 06:26 PM
If you have alot of camber its not going to handle well (on the road anyway)

Get that sorted and your tracking should be better