PDA

View Full Version : Rat look saloon

Steve
21-04-09, 12:31 AM
Never really liked the whole rat look concept. You have to make a big effort to make your car look even crapper lol

But for those that like it look at THIS (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1990-VAUXHALL-NOVA-SALOON-BLACK_W0QQitemZ220398412180QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAuto mobiles_UK?hash=item220398412180&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A7%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

burgo
21-04-09, 12:34 AM
dont and never have liked it

muzzy
21-04-09, 12:37 AM
Not a fan at all, i totally dont get the whole point of making your car look crap on purpose

burgo
21-04-09, 12:39 AM
Not a fan at all, i totally dont get the whole point of making your car look crap on purposeexactly. if you like a **** looking car buy one like mine lol

muzzy
21-04-09, 12:44 AM
lol

There was a Corsa kicking about up here that had the whole roof rack, beer keg thing going on, it looked absolutely pish! Clearly taken paint stripper to the wings etc :wtf:

Twistie
21-04-09, 12:48 AM
Omg

Mcgowan
21-04-09, 01:24 AM
I like it think its pretty different, anyway each to there own and all that- But it really makes me want a bench seat upfront its proper retro cool!! but wheres the handbrake and howz he change gear?????!!!!!!!!!lol

blue_peg_16v
21-04-09, 06:27 AM
poor loon what is the point

Count Vaux Alot
21-04-09, 07:00 AM
Erm NO.

NovaBoy1992
21-04-09, 07:33 AM
I like it think its pretty different, anyway each to there own and all that- But it really makes me want a bench seat upfront its proper retro cool!! but wheres the handbrake and howz he change gear?????!!!!!!!!!lol

you move the handbrake forward and the gears are in the same place you can see if you look at the pics

Asa-James
21-04-09, 08:14 AM
rat look is just lazy!

anyway, i quite like that, something different, and would definitely upset some of the dub boys, which is always a good thing...

novaguy08
21-04-09, 08:24 AM
erm :cuckoo: :tosser: Honestly wtf was he thinking, rat rods are yankie inventions and NEED to stay over the pond!

They just lazy! Pour some paint sripper here, drive through a hedge, slap some stickers there ect ect

ant_tay
21-04-09, 08:54 AM
im not a fan of the rat look

andrew1988
21-04-09, 09:43 AM
Am i the only one that thinks thats cool?

Even so, could be easily bought had all the bits everyon thinks is ****e and have a cool car.

Incedently (sp.) how did it past an mot with no mirrors and where the **** did he get a drivers side blank?

bowman
21-04-09, 09:50 AM
i would do it to my car, but you got to admit, it would be easy to maintain!

novaguy08
21-04-09, 10:00 AM
no it would make your life more difficult! think about it, that rust is gonna start eating THRU the pannels! you wil have to change them every 6 months or something!! or grind the rust off every so offten to stop it from going thru...... in years you will end up with paper thin pannels!!

sparkie1401
21-04-09, 10:01 AM
Not for me, different but not for me

novaguy08
21-04-09, 10:02 AM
Incedently (sp.) how did it past an mot with no mirrors and where the **** did he get a drivers side blank?

It has 2 outa 3 mirrors (the d/s one is stil there!) thats all you need to pass an MOT

At the last picture he would have been PRE MOT time (possibly) but its an MOT failure! need 2 mirrors at least! that blank looks like the inside blank used on the exteriour adjustable mirrors

dougie_boi
21-04-09, 10:54 AM
OMG poor loon

andrew1988
21-04-09, 11:11 AM
It has 2 outa 3 mirrors (the d/s one is stil there!) thats all you need to pass an MOT

At the last picture he would have been PRE MOT time (possibly) but its an MOT failure! need 2 mirrors at least! that blank looks like the inside blank used on the exteriour adjustable mirrors

Aah, didnt see it in the first view. Would look cool with both blanks and old style chrome mirrors

Southie
21-04-09, 11:41 AM
Rat look = Shat look IMO :roll:

mayhem
21-04-09, 02:25 PM
it looks better than that other uk rat wannabe nova.

but.. my nova? its rat inspired, and i dont hear any people in my thread that its sh!te....

wwmnw
21-04-09, 03:37 PM
That's rat ? Just looks like your average unloved Nova to me.

joeSRI
21-04-09, 04:47 PM
Hate the rat look. pi$$es me off!
would look cool with a new bonnet new steering wheel and stickers and the hippy blankets removed lol

Southie
21-04-09, 04:50 PM
it looks better than that other uk rat wannabe nova.

but.. my nova? its rat inspired, and i dont hear any people in my thread that its sh!te....

Inspired being the operative word, its not rusty enough to look that nasty :D

draper
21-04-09, 05:01 PM
i dont get the whole lets make a car rat look, however i do get the idea of preffering engine/suspension/brake mods and having fun hammering it over keeping it clean and tidy etc

mayhem
21-04-09, 05:10 PM
Inspired being the operative word, its not rusty enough to look that nasty :D

lol a rat doesnt need rust, if only the uk ratryders would understand that...

i have a spare bonnet... how would mine look with a rust bonnet?:D

Jack
21-04-09, 05:37 PM
There's a radioactive green saxo near me with a "rat" bonnet. Totally bog standard poverty spec Saxo, lowered, on steels with a rusty bonnet and roof rack. Looks sh!t.

i dont get the whole lets make a car rat look, however i do get the idea of preffering engine/suspension/brake mods and having fun hammering it over keeping it clean and tidy etc
IMO "rat" only looks good if you have an old car, pre-75, and it got a decent engine in it. Purposefully making something ratlook through adding rust etc is the dumbest thing ever. Its more fake than Paris Hilton

...and LOL @ the ebay ad

Item condition: --
Should that not say "crap" lol

mikec123
21-04-09, 05:58 PM
Never really understood why somebody would want their car to look like a rust bucket, but i suppose some V Dubs look quite good with the rat look.:D

Bubba
21-04-09, 06:06 PM
i like the rat look, but that is a massive fail

Spudly
21-04-09, 08:19 PM
Rat look = Shat look IMO :roll:

+Rep..............

Shat look FTL:cry:

stevie-p
21-04-09, 08:32 PM
is that not the saloon with...

****ALLTHEHATERZ on the back
anyhows i think it looks ok apart from the front numberplate
as even though it is rat enhanced its not OTT

sais it all really

stevie-p
21-04-09, 08:33 PM
http://www.wheel-whores.com/images/rotating-photos/12.jpg

Sloth
21-04-09, 08:56 PM
ive bid.....

John
21-04-09, 09:01 PM
Again I like! You lot are all to set it your ways! No speedlines or gsi kit, must be sh1te then.

stevie-p
21-04-09, 09:03 PM
does asnybody no if it comes with the moons?

Count Vaux Alot
21-04-09, 09:07 PM
Its not the rat look i dislike i'm just not feeling this one. Any style can look good if done well.....

mayhem
21-04-09, 09:07 PM
dont know, but there worth good money.

stevie-p
21-04-09, 09:08 PM
dont know, but there worth good money.

they most proberbly no but shhhhh lol

Southie
21-04-09, 09:16 PM
lol a rat doesnt need rust, if only the uk ratryders would understand that...

i have a spare bonnet... how would mine look with a rust bonnet?:D
Define the rat look for the uk residents lol every rattyshattybatty car I've seen usually makes there point of pointing out there "rust". Most of us uk nova folk try our bloody hardest to get shut of it, otherwise they would be rustdust everywhere lol

Southie
21-04-09, 09:19 PM
Again I like! You lot are all to set it your ways! No speedlines or gsi kit, must be sh1te then.
Not all John ;)

Hobbit
21-04-09, 09:20 PM
I like it, love the front bench seat

John
21-04-09, 09:21 PM
Not all John ;)

ok not all, then, i'll change it to "most" lol

Sloth
21-04-09, 09:27 PM
ive been campaining rat or hoodride for 2-3 years, as my uncle is into air kewled dubs. i did a semi rat 4dr 2.0 8v last year. yer its not everyones cuppa, but one mans pot of shiote is anothers pot of gold. hence why i bid, my fav style and my fav engine. simples

mayhem
21-04-09, 09:27 PM
Define the rat look for the uk residents lol every rattyshattybatty car I've seen usually makes there point of pointing out there "rust". Most of us uk nova folk try our bloody hardest to get shut of it, otherwise they would be rustdust everywhere lol

lol

imo my nova is a example of a rat without rust.

even with ratstyle you can go wrong, just like there are people who love halfords;)

Southie
21-04-09, 09:34 PM
lol

imo my nova is a example of a rat without rust.

even with ratstyle you can go wrong, just like there are people who love halfords;)
I like your style have some Dutch rep. God help me if that's something entirely different to you lol

dj_wudgey
21-04-09, 10:02 PM
rat look=poo

Simon 1867
21-04-09, 11:33 PM
shame about that grill.....

novaguy08
22-04-09, 03:27 AM
just like there are people who love halfords;)

Sorry there are what-now?!?

NASTYNOVA
22-04-09, 10:01 PM
saw a dub and an audi, think certain ones look pretty good TBH...
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm312/20156975/P1010017.jpg

novaguy08
22-04-09, 10:09 PM
mmmmm Audi 100 = nice. Owned one before only the base model 2.0e but had traction controll & a few other toys!!

John
26-04-09, 08:58 AM
so who bought this then? 1 bid, and sloth said he was bidding?

Spudly
26-04-09, 09:42 AM
sloth said he was bidding?

Roflomgdontbesosillyyoupuddinlmaocopterlol

John
26-04-09, 09:45 AM
Roflomgdontbesosillyyoupuddinlmaocopterlol

Lol yeah true.

nova-saloon
26-04-09, 11:25 AM
lol

There was a Corsa kicking about up here that had the whole roof rack, beer keg thing going on, it looked absolutely pish! Clearly taken paint stripper to the wings etc :wtf:

is this the corsa your on about mate

http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t359/Briggs-SR/Photo-0225.jpg

dj_wudgey
26-04-09, 01:04 PM
is this the corsa your on about mate

http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t359/Briggs-SR/Photo-0225.jpg

my god thats ****ing hilarious lol what a piece off sh*t!!

nova-saloon
28-04-09, 11:32 AM
i didn't think anyone could make a corsa look worse than it already did

Steve
28-04-09, 02:17 PM
Well it looks worse than most corsas anyway as it a 5dr! lol

Dod
28-04-09, 02:42 PM
Know what, I like that Nova, and I mean a lot. It needs sorted with 3 different wheels and a wheel trim but that aside, yeah, I'd drive that.

novaguy08
28-04-09, 03:13 PM
are you ok dod? had any sharp blows to the head recently??

Steve
28-04-09, 03:30 PM
I thought he was being sarcastic! lol

Dod
28-04-09, 04:04 PM
I'd like to say, I'm no sheep and am well known for liking things a little different. Yes, I'd own it, it looks ace IMO. So much so, I'm going RAT with one of My Corsa As, although it'll be more junk yard than Rat.

Dave.
28-04-09, 04:11 PM
who won this? 1 bid at £400 lol

TIDGE
28-04-09, 04:30 PM
needs to be lower tbh

dj_wudgey
28-04-09, 06:47 PM

and thats well too much lol

Spudly
28-04-09, 06:51 PM

And here was all of us mugs weighing in our old scrappers for about £40 per tonne and some genius has managed to weigh it in via ebay for ten times that amount.......

Epic win:thumb:

chimp007_uk
28-04-09, 07:12 PM
And here was all of us mugs weighing in our old scrappers for about £40 per tonne and some genius has managed to weigh it in via ebay for ten times that amount.......

Epic win:thumb:

That car isn't rotten... Its probably quite sound, to get it to rust you just paint strip it then brick cleaner over night outside then hey presto... £400 isn't bad for a 2door saloon with a seh in with mot and tax... lol

I'm wiht Dod on this one, it's proper cool! Not too ott, maybe needs slamming on its tits and some polished steels or something.

I like the rat look when done tastefully :D

Spudly
28-04-09, 07:14 PM
I know cos rat is about having a mint car underneath and making it look shat i just cant get my head round it, its a veedub thing and should stay there imo!

chimp007_uk
28-04-09, 07:18 PM
It's Known for VW because they're big in euro, there's plenty of other cars out there rat'd up and looking good.

There was an awesome kadett at pvs last year witha stunning c20let under the bonnet everything chromed and awesome.

Guess everyone thinks that's sh1te too... Nova is an Opel Corsa. Its just a name lol

Walshc had a matt black saloon at pvs last year, looked good :)

Spudly
28-04-09, 07:20 PM
Yeah i saw the kadett at pv last year and thought that could be sooo nice if they bothered to paint/finish/love it.

Rat look is not to my taste at all and i think it looks epic poo!

chimp007_uk
28-04-09, 07:22 PM
Yeah i saw the kadett at pv last year and thought that could be sooo nice if they bothered to paint/finish/love it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion... :roll: As said, they might think a nova with gsi bumpers skirts etc looks poo...

It's like marmite... :p

craig green
28-04-09, 07:25 PM
Auction ending price says it all..

Leeboo
28-04-09, 08:37 PM
Its not the worst attempt I've seen. Its cheap at that really, considering its been converted to run 2.0 130. I still wouldn't do it to a Nova.

Love the mk2 golf someone posted there, Audi not so much!!

John
28-04-09, 08:44 PM
I know cos rat is about having a mint car underneath and making it look shat i just cant get my head round it, its a veedub thing and should stay there imo!

Hmm, that's a very narrow minded view imho. The vauxhall scene would be shoite if no-one pushed the boundaries, and with so many people down on anything other than "speedline'd, gsi'd vxr'd etc etc", we're not gonna get very far. I think that's the reason why people with less than perfect cars, don't like to bring them to shows. and it's such a shame. Many a well executed/engineered car with less than perfect bodywork, will simply get overlooked. And it's the reason why the vee-dub scene leads the way imo.

John
28-04-09, 08:46 PM

Ok ok! We hear you!:thumb:

chimp007_uk
28-04-09, 08:56 PM
Rep for John :) My new marmite buddy lol

Spudly
28-04-09, 09:05 PM
Hmm, that's a very narrow minded view imho. The vauxhall scene would be shoite if no-one pushed the boundaries, and with so many people down on anything other than "speedline'd, gsi'd vxr'd etc etc", we're not gonna get very far. I think that's the reason why people with less than perfect cars, don't like to bring them to shows. and it's such a shame. Many a well executed/engineered car with less than perfect bodywork, will simply get overlooked. And it's the reason why the vee-dub scene leads the way imo.

I see what you mean but tbh making your car look rusty is not pushing the boundaries as it happens naturally if you dont love your car, as i say its my opinion but i just plain dont like it i mean why spend money making your car look bad, why not just buy a bad one and leave it that way if that floats your boat.

My nova has a rotten arch rusty doors and a rusty sill corner and will still be on the stand at PV but it pisses me off when people ask if im ratlooking it, no im funking well not ive just not had the arch replaced yet is all:cry:

And no im not part of the "speedline GSI kit" crewlol

Count Vaux Alot
28-04-09, 09:08 PM

Well said that man!

My brown nova 'pushed the boundaries' of the scene imo and opened a few peoples eyes even the narrow minded ones and My next car won't be a body work wonder neither will it be a popular colour but it will be as well executed/engineered as i cam make it so people should be open to new ideas.

P Whack
28-04-09, 09:16 PM
Rat look ftw its someone expressing their opinion/part of themselves that is why we build/modify cars not for someone on a forum to rip into them well in for someone for buying one and bothering thats what i think and being out of the norm

Count Vaux Alot
28-04-09, 09:17 PM
I see what you mean but tbh making your car look rusty is not pushing the boundaries as it happens naturally if you dont love your car, as i say its my opinion but i just plain dont like it i mean why spend money making your car look bad, why not just buy a bad one and leave it that way if that floats your boat.

My nova has a rotten arch rusty doors and a rusty sill corner and will still be on the stand at PV but it pisses me off when people ask if im ratlooking it, no im funking well not ive just not had the arch replaced yet is all:cry:

I think what john meant by pushing boundaries Spudly is, that this is a different approach/style to the usual, in that the rat look embraces the rust instead of seeing it as a negative (its questionable whether its a good idea but it is different).
If thats not in line with your way of thinking then you are like most others including myself that hate the rust, but i do 'get' the rat look idea where as most people including the ones that ask you about your cars rust implying you are ratting it clearly dont.

Spudly
28-04-09, 09:23 PM
Thats the whole bit i dont get, as rust is bad and means your car is falling to bits and it rotting and i cant understand why people want it all over their cars lol

As i say each to his own but i personally want rid of my rust cos it makes me :cry:

Saloon is re listed on the bay btw:p

John
28-04-09, 09:26 PM

My bad, that wasn't aimed directly at you;) .

Like you've said, it's you're opinion, and you're intitled to, like wise, me to mine. I'll be honest, the corsa posted is a poor attempt at rat, but the nova is cool. It's not completely rusty, and is well thought out and executed.
the original idea of rat is to take that junkyard dog, and breathe new life into it's underpinnings, and add a few tasteful touches. It seems many are trying to pre-age their cars (golf and audi posted case in point) and it's these cars that don't fit well imo. as i've siad it before, the more "euro-rat" cars look better.
The vauxhall scene won't move forward if no-one brings new ideas and cars to it, those brave enough to do it (James) are well opening peoples eyes. James' nova has opened the eyes of the retro modder to the nova. Exactly what was needed. (hopefully we'll see a few more members on here too)

John
28-04-09, 09:34 PM
I think what john meant by pushing boundaries Spudly is, that this is a different approach/style to the usual, in that the rat look embraces the rust instead of seeing it as a negative (its questionable whether its a good idea but it is different).
If thats not in line with your way of thinking then you are like most others including myself that hate the rust, but i do 'get' the rat look idea where as most people including the ones that ask you about your cars rust implying you are ratting it clearly dont.

:thumb: :thumb:

Count Vaux Alot
28-04-09, 09:38 PM
Again John i agree rat originated from the rod scene were people wouldn't have the monies to 'do up' the whole car into a hot rod so they would focus on the underpinnings and engine and leave the outside as they found it - unintentionally creating a style in its self known as rat rod so there is a point to this style were as the pre-ageing of new cars doesn't really fit imo.

MK999
28-04-09, 09:51 PM
I think a newer car would actually look cooler as a rat attempt, as it's obviously made to look that way, rather than just being a rusty heap. I see modifying cars as taking something standard and making it better, or into something you cannot otherwise get, whereas old rusty cars with random crap on them can be found in most scrapyards, usually with the added attraction of large dents!

P Whack
29-04-09, 02:13 AM
Just seen it on the bay may have to bid on this seems a little cheap for me then turn it into something else gotta love satin black tho lol

SGA33
29-04-09, 10:15 PM
isnt this the car owned/was owned by the bloke who had the issac hunt drag car?