PDA

View Full Version : Car Judders Sometimes

lewisvalver
20-04-09, 11:22 PM
alrite new member here,own a 2.0 redtop nova.when i got the car it would sometimes judder when it got just under a quarter tank of petrol,now even if im in 3rd and floor it then the car judder a bit and ill lose a bit of power and acceleration!any ideas what this could be and how to fix it??thanks

novaguy08
21-04-09, 09:58 AM
check the plugs and leads, when these get a bit old they tend to do this...... checking the plugs are a good sence of whats going on in the engine EG black sooty ones means that its over fueliing, Crusty horrible ones means a valveguide is worn out (amonst other things) oily ones means that piston rings worn out and so forth.
when was the last time they were replaced?

jimbob-mcgrew
21-04-09, 03:39 PM
does it motor on up if your smooth on the pedal or just when u boot it ?

sounds like my nightmare yesterday and day before, only not as extreme as i couldnt go faster than 4/5 mph without it going into spasm, carb was getting starved of fuel somehow, might be clogged fuel filter, or fuel pump going slightly lame, or slightly clogged injectors, could be none of these mind, might be the timing, or timing advance. or spark plug gaps like novaguy said.

novaguy08
21-04-09, 03:44 PM
speaking of timing jimbob did you get that sorted??? i know you got it running in the end as it was a carb problem.
thats why i suggested to look at the plugs, you can tell pretty much how the engine is running by looking at them,
black sooty ones is overfueling
ones with split core noses are underfueling (or ign timing out)
over heatingones are glazed and look like they been cleaned and waxed!
glazed ones mean wrong mix or loadsa idling and then flooring it

jimbob-mcgrew
21-04-09, 04:00 PM
yeh its all sorted now ta.
it ran before, and revved well, but after pulling away wouldnt go any further.
changing the carb cured the prob, but all the hassle i had changing the dizzy before hand i think has helped a little extra too, as it now runs a tad better than it did before when it was ok. i think the majority of the hassle i had changing the dizzy was due to slightly corroded contacts on the coil pack, as the newer wiring connector from the dizzy was prob touching a part that was crusty, cleaned that up several times and jimbobbed a ht lead to the cam cover to check for a spark, which was then good, litterally fired up after a flick of the key once i connected it back together after that. then i warmed it up and messed about with carb and ignition timing settings. made it to work and back today :thumb:

lewisvalver
21-04-09, 06:01 PM
thanks for replies,doesnt matter if im smooth or booting it,could be takin it easy in 4th and all of a sudden it will judder,if i drop it to 3rd then the juddering will disapear,mate thinks there could be water in my fuel tank,ill change the plugs for a start.cheers

novaguy08
21-04-09, 10:19 PM
let us know what the plugs look like, water would knacker the injectors.... and several other things come to mention it as you cannot compress it. not only that but it wouldnt run properly all over the shot!
imo juddering is normally fuel related, however knowing what the plugs look like is a good start, as they can tell you quite a bit about the running about the car

lewisvalver
21-04-09, 10:43 PM
meant to say water in the fuel filter*sorry my bad,ill take a look at the plugs anyway and let u knw,cheers

nova_saloon
21-04-09, 11:01 PM
carb tank or injection tank, i had this problem, try doing the breather mod, thats helps alot! also make sure there isnt any air leaking in from after the Air mass meter

lewisvalver
24-04-09, 12:10 AM
nice 1 mate,ill look at it this weekend and see what i can find,cheers