PDA

View Full Version : urgent help needed : mass power loss

jimbob-mcgrew
19-04-09, 07:31 PM
got work tommora morn at 6 and need this sorting pronto, any help much appreciated and plus rep if it works.

coming home on the motorway earlier, doing standard speed, and i get a hefty judder and loss of power like im about to run outta fuel, but it kept going JUST. the more i put my foot down on the pedal, the more the car wants to die, i just managed to get back home with my hazards on, juddering all the way, i was lucky i didnt have to stop at any time as i probably wouldnt have been able to pick up any speed, i was slowing down the whole time.

its not empty, ive got a quarter tank, im stumped as to what it could be as it revs up fine, but upon taking up drive it holds back cronically and i didnt try it but im guessing if i dont dip the clutch it at that point it would most probably konk out.

help ! i MUST get it going for work

Southie
19-04-09, 07:35 PM
What engine are you running?

jimbob-mcgrew
19-04-09, 07:38 PM
doh !

1200 carb it is

mowgli
19-04-09, 07:41 PM
blocked fuel gauze?

slipped cambelt??

advance-retard mech has failed.

jimbob-mcgrew
19-04-09, 07:47 PM
it still revs fine tho ?
starts by a flick of the key. but no go whatsoever

fuel gauze on the inside of the carb throat ?
advance / retard mech ? whats that ? the gold saucer shaped thing ontop of the dizzy ?

jimbob-mcgrew
19-04-09, 07:51 PM
fcuking running outta light !! FCUKKKK!!!

mowgli
19-04-09, 07:52 PM
it still revs fine tho ?
starts by a flick of the key. but no go whatsoever

fuel gauze on the inside of the carb throat ?
advance / retard mech ? whats that ? the gold saucer shaped thing ontop of the dizzy ?

first off, an engine with no load needs very little fuel to make it rev....

so a fuel restriction is possible.
check the pump is pumping ok, as they can even seize.

the advance retard mech is inside the dizzy, but the saucer thin is part of it. it can be rectified in the short term by advancing the timing till it pulls ok. (turn the top of the dizzy towards the windscreen about a cm, while it is running, then try revving it.

another thought, the choke cable can slip causing poor running.

jimbob-mcgrew
19-04-09, 07:54 PM
brilliant, thanks mowgli, i hope your right, im gonna get in there and try sort her out :thumb: report back in half hour or so

jimbob-mcgrew
19-04-09, 08:41 PM
no luck, dammit, plenty fuel is coming outta pump, tried advancing the dizzy a cm, no luck. pulled the hose off the advance / retard dizzy thing, didnt make any difference to running, blocked the pipe too, didnt make any difference to running, prety much ran outta light now.. feck!

jimbob-mcgrew
19-04-09, 08:44 PM
which jets on the pierburg 1b are supposed to operate ?
theres a jet on the left that sprays out 2 fine jets, an over hanging one topside of the carb that wasnt doing anything, and what looks like a centrally mounted jet inside, that wasnt doing anything ?

^ this normal ?

jimbob-mcgrew
19-04-09, 10:46 PM
the things fcuked.......

....im fcuked

jimbob-mcgrew
19-04-09, 11:01 PM
wheres this fuel gauze thing ? inside the carb somewhere ?

surely the engine is under most load pulling away ?

it pulls away, but shortly after when u think its gonna motor, it doesnt, and stutters to its death.

wtf !?!??!

dougie_boi
19-04-09, 11:12 PM
check the jets on the top of the carb in case there blocked with crap that comes up from the breather etc and make sure breather pipe clear. just un screw the jets with a plian screw driver but dont get them mixed up when refitting also and make sure there clear. what air filter are you running it with if its a k&n or similar it could be carb freeze also check and make sure your choke aint sticking on mate

jimbob-mcgrew
20-04-09, 05:07 AM
chokes ok
not carb freeze, engine was at running temp at time of failure.
standard bin lid air housing.
the oil breather looks creamed up some, but can see light smoke puttering out of it on idle, so it cant be that badly blocked.
checked the plugs, from what i can tell, seem ok, none of them were damp in petrol or what have you.
jets on the carb, bloody hell, does that involve stripping the carb down ? will i need a gasket set ? whats the 2 other jets for i was talking about ?

mowgli
20-04-09, 06:47 AM
seriously did you check the cambelt hasn't slipped a tooth...

dougie_boi
20-04-09, 09:55 AM
chokes ok
not carb freeze, engine was at running temp at time of failure.
standard bin lid air housing.
the oil breather looks creamed up some, but can see light smoke puttering out of it on idle, so it cant be that badly blocked.
checked the plugs, from what i can tell, seem ok, none of them were damp in petrol or what have you.
jets on the carb, bloody hell, does that involve stripping the carb down ? will i need a gasket set ? whats the 2 other jets for i was talking about ?

no you dont need to strip it down. there at the top of the carb on like the the rim of it mate. they basicly restrict the air flow for fuel to air ratios. the jets inside the neck of the carb feed the engine but there working as you seem them squirting fuel out i should have a spare carb if your stuck mate

jimbob-mcgrew
20-04-09, 02:47 PM
well thank f0ok i managed to get to work ok via lifts from friends.

next on the list is pull the cam cover off and check the timing, dont really know what im doing tho. i guess line the crank up on the pin, then slacken the tensioner while i jimmy the cam round a tooth or 2 to get it back to ok... ? lol

jimbob-mcgrew
20-04-09, 03:23 PM
ok good news, timing marks are bang on.
change the dizzy ?

novaguy08
20-04-09, 03:25 PM
tensoiner should be on a spring!
there should be timing marks on cam & crank pullies (iirc anywho!) and they will line up with notches in the back cam cover)

HOWEVER if it was a timing fault then you would have the symptoms for the moment you turn the key...... daft question where abouts are you on this island? if your local to me i can come have a lookie :D
imho though it sounds like the spark advance/retard is knackered try pulling dizzy apart and checking that there is nothing wrong and that everything moving ok without any problems, however also making sure that its not too loose!

novaguy08
20-04-09, 03:26 PM
or new dizzy will work if you want lol

jimbob-mcgrew
20-04-09, 05:12 PM
changed the dizzy, wont fire AT ALL now...
realised in the haynes u cant just unbolt and bolt them in, they have to be timed up somehow, read it and read it, cant make sense of it, tried and tried different positions, no firing at all, getting seriously pissed off, im holding myself back from throwing my tv thru my bedroom door at the moment

so now ive fcuked myself even more, great !
anyone care to shed some light, tell me what im doing wrong

bmw156
20-04-09, 05:17 PM
tried the coil. ??

novaguy08
20-04-09, 05:18 PM
first off bud calm down!!
the more you get wound up the harder its going to be!
Right, let me get my haynes and see if i can make sence of it.... old carbi engine right?

jimbob-mcgrew
20-04-09, 05:23 PM
it was starting and idling last night, now it wont even fire.
dont have a spare coil
yeh, piece of **** 1.2st, ta

novaguy08
20-04-09, 05:24 PM
ok from what i can gather, you need to line the bottom timing marks up on the first cyl stroke (so roll the engine forwards till it hits the tdc on cyl 1 the keep going untill the bottom timing mark lines up. once you have done that line the rotor arm up with the notch in the dizzy
Just make sure that you line the notch up on the fanbelt pully to the pointer on the oil pump.
it should run then

novaguy08
20-04-09, 05:24 PM
its the dizzy timing out follow those instructions and go from there

jimbob-mcgrew
20-04-09, 05:43 PM
keep going as in a complete revolution ?
and i couldnt find any arrow marks on the dizzy

jimbob-mcgrew
20-04-09, 06:22 PM
i can only get the dizzy drive to click in with the rotor pointing in the opposite direction.

where the **** is TDC.. is that when both timing marks are lined or what, **** haynes cunts useless

jimbob-mcgrew
20-04-09, 06:27 PM
so u line both timing marks up yeh ? (is that tdc ? **** knows) then u do a complete revolution on the crank, so the crank comes back to timing, piston 1 is back to tdc and the cam is half rev ?? ( right so far ?), then thats when u put the dizzy in pointing to plug 1 ??? im so ****ing lost,. i cant find any answers

jimbob-mcgrew
20-04-09, 06:30 PM
stressed eric man, bout to have a coronery

mowgli
20-04-09, 06:48 PM
you make the bottom & top timing marks line up. yes the cam does run at 1/2 speed to the crank, then you get the distributor lined up so the 2 lugs that the clamp tightens onto are about the same height. then nip the clamp up.

jimbob-mcgrew
20-04-09, 07:05 PM
ok i just said bollox to what the haynes said and went with aw06, lined both timing marks up and set the dizzy to plug 1, fired up, let it warm up so i could re-tune the carb, revs nice, but still no luck.. so it wasnt the dizzy, i have a carb kicking abouyt somewhere im gonna try next

mowgli
20-04-09, 07:11 PM
have you tried swapping the plugs, as they need swapping at least once a year

jimbob-mcgrew
20-04-09, 08:34 PM
was the carb in the end, the motherfcuker !
altho i think all the dizzy antics helped a tad too.
been on this bitch since i got back from work at 2:30, can put my mind at ease now, and stop for 5 mins to get some much needed food down me.

novaguy08
20-04-09, 08:35 PM
what was wrong with the carb then?

jimbob-mcgrew
20-04-09, 08:39 PM
dunno, i replaced it for a spare, bloody lucky i had one kicking about.
prob that gauze thing mowgli was going on about, but fcuk knows where it is within the carb

novaguy08
20-04-09, 08:41 PM
take it apart an give it a refurb with plenty of carb cleaner that way you got another spare rather then a knackered one!

jimbob-mcgrew
20-04-09, 08:42 PM
sounds like a plan, stan

novaguy08
20-04-09, 08:43 PM
but my names Nathan lmao

jimbob-mcgrew
20-04-09, 08:45 PM
so glad its drivable again, means i wont loose my job. :thumb:
next mission is the mot end of the week :eek:

novaguy08
20-04-09, 08:49 PM
ooo in that case might wanna get it tuned before you do then

jimbob-mcgrew
20-04-09, 08:51 PM
be interesting to see how close to 1.0 lamda i got it - its either spot on or miles off lol