PDA

View Full Version : uh oh help! accelarator problems!

Phoenixhairart
19-04-09, 05:49 PM
got into my car this morning to leave for work and the accelarator peddle isnt working anymore its become really loose you know like the same feeling as when a clutch goes. like that! what could the problem be what should i look for. want to get it fixed quick so i can go to castle combe spring action day.

MK999
19-04-09, 05:50 PM
throttle cable loose or snapped.

Phoenixhairart
19-04-09, 05:53 PM
throttle cable loose or snapped.

it still seems to be intact and working..not snapped..

mowgli
19-04-09, 05:58 PM
the retaining clip could have dropped off the carb end of the cable or the pedal end could have slipped out of its hole.

Rich
19-04-09, 06:00 PM
if boths ends are still connected then it must have snapped.

Lee
19-04-09, 06:00 PM
got into my car this morning to leave for work and the accelarator peddle isnt working anymore .

it still seems to be intact and working.
Make your mind up. Is the throttle working or not??

MK999
19-04-09, 06:06 PM
If fault doesn't lie with the cable (which imo it probably does) something on the throttle body end or pedal end has come off, but the cable would almost definitely fail first.

Phoenixhairart
19-04-09, 07:37 PM
lol well i dont know much about cars im just telling you what my boyfriend said he said that the cable hasnt snapped. which it probably has then i guess. But he dosnt know anything about novas so thought i would ask here. when i said the cable was working i meant it was still revving the engine when pulled manualy from inside.

Phoenixhairart
19-04-09, 07:48 PM
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv348/phoenixhairartipmorgan/DSCF1340.jpg
is this the problem. this rubber? the whole holding it in is rusted... hmmm made a video also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu1e4poPfCM

let_nova
19-04-09, 09:42 PM
i see rottage... check under your battery

Phoenixhairart
19-04-09, 09:52 PM
i see rottage... check under your battery
uh oh. will do it in the daylight!

mowgli
19-04-09, 09:55 PM
quick fix is pull the cable off the pedal, pull the whole thing out into the engine bay, slip a mudguard washer over the end & refit it.

http://www.skevi.com/images/0457688.jpg

Phoenixhairart
19-04-09, 09:56 PM
quick fix is pull the cable off the pedal, pull the whole thing out into the engine bay, slip a mudguard washer over the end & refit it.

http://www.skevi.com/images/0457688.jpg
thanks will give this a go

Lee
19-04-09, 10:57 PM
That will probably make it idle high so you will have to adjust the cable at the carb end to bring the revs down again.

dougie_boi
19-04-09, 11:29 PM
looks like the end of the throttle cable sleeve has popped through into the car. should that not be clipped to the firewall and just the bare cable that enters the car? i could be wrong lol. as the full cable and sleeve will move in when you press the excellerator and would feel like its not doing much

Lee
19-04-09, 11:51 PM
Yeah, thats exactly whats happened, hense it needs a repair washer or welding.

Phoenixhairart
20-04-09, 08:32 AM
so bewfore i do this.is it easy to take the cable off the peddle. instructions anyone? i really need a haynes manual!

novaguy08
20-04-09, 08:46 AM
right according to haynes it is an easy job, here is how it explains to do it so please excuse me if it sounds over simplified (as i said its from the actuall manual)
1. Remove the air cleaner (you wont need to do this if its an SRI, but you will if its an SR)
2. For greater access to the cable fitting at the acceperator remove the parcel self
3. Working inside the car release the cable from the acceperator pedal by easing back the spring on the end fitting and prising out the cable retainer from the pedal slot
4. Release the grommet from the bulkhead and pull the cable through into the engine bay.
5. Extract the small retailing clip and disconnetct the ball end fitting from the throttle linkage
6. slide the cable bushing out of the supposrt bracket on the intake and remove the cable from the car
7. refitting is reverse of removal

I removed some of the usless gumph so its not exactly the same but you got all the instructions there........ hope this helps Phoenix :D

Lee
20-04-09, 02:54 PM
You wont need to remove the cable on the carb, just on the pedal, so ignore steps 1,5 and 6. Slip a repair washer over the cable after you have pulled it into the engine bay and refit. As I said, this will probably make your idle speed increase, so you will have adjust it back.

If you are coming to combe, one of us will be able to sort that for you easily.

Phoenixhairart
20-04-09, 03:13 PM
You wont need to remove the cable on the carb, just on the pedal, so ignore steps 1,5 and 6. Slip a repair washer over the cable after you have pulled it into the engine bay and refit. As I said, this will probably make your idle speed increase, so you will have adjust it back.

If you are coming to combe, one of us will be able to sort that for you easily.
excellent ok well if it makes it to castle combe haah nah it should make it fine.