PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge confusion!!

novaguy08
19-04-09, 04:51 PM
Hello all.

I did a search on this, but they all kinda tailed off before i got any answers. Basically i fitted a set of SR gauges (the 4 gauge one with the oil and bat light insted of gagues) and the fuel gauge is a bit funky, it doesn't read properly, now before anyone mentions the sender, thats not a problem, was 100% (weirdly for a nova!) when i had my old poverty spec ones in no soon as i put them in they were misreading, the fuel gauge was coming on and staying on and they were reading off the scale (to a small red dot about 2/3 around the gauge) i was well and truly confused, a couple of days later turn it on and its reading full great apart from a stuck 20l in about 3 days ago, so should be........ *car dies in a splutter and cough* about empty! so i been taking it in and out fiddling and trying to tweek them to work, thought i had it and whilst driving to drop some papers off it conked out again this time in the red light district! good thing i had a gerry can! still i put half tank in the next day and it went right up to full, done about 25 odd miles pulled it out again and fiddled and it now reads half tank......... about right i thinks, (i hopes!) now to fiddle with it i found 2 yellow boxes, one seems to controll the needle and one the fuel light, they in red rings :

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/P190409_1452-2.jpg

(well i hope they are!)

Anyone get to the bottom of this and get it sorted? i also tried 3 different gauges in there all with same results!

HEEEELPPP!!!!!:cry: :cry:

nova_saloon
19-04-09, 04:56 PM
sender unit perhaps? or wiring is a bit funny.
Did you change the fuel tank around? from carburettor to injection tank? if so the wire that attaches the loom to the sender unit on the tank might need loosening up or re-dueing

novaguy08
19-04-09, 04:57 PM
no, as i said the old one was 100% ans the tank always been inj one

nova_saloon
19-04-09, 05:00 PM
swap it back over to the poverty ones and does it still happen? if it still does it then check wiring and if that all good, kick it

novaguy08
19-04-09, 05:01 PM
done that already (both swapped it back and kicked it!)

Lee
19-04-09, 05:02 PM
Bad earth on the clocks? Any other faults on the dials, lights not working etc?

Check the connection on the multiplug on the back of the clocks, and follow the track to the fuel guage to check for dodgy breaks. Do the same on the earth track that runs around the clockset as well.

The dial reading max when its not usually means the sender is wired back to front, but if youve not touched the back end and just plugged in the new dials, that shouldnt be the case.

novaguy08
19-04-09, 05:04 PM
not touched any of the wiring there is a dodgy repair (guilty!) to the cicuit on the back but it only affecting the brake fluid light (little dim) and other then the fuel gauge absolutly nothing wrong with it! i never had trouble before and like i said i put the poverty spec ones back in and it was fine

Lee
19-04-09, 05:07 PM
Id say the guage is fubared then.

novaguy08
19-04-09, 05:14 PM
tried 3 other ones in there, 1 without fuel light & same results, no way i can have 3 smegged gauges or smegged wiring.......... so im thinking there something wrong with either the design or something is wrong with the cicuit!

Lee
19-04-09, 05:16 PM
It has to be the dial set itself then. Theres a broken track or a poor earth somewhere on it.

novaguy08
19-04-09, 05:19 PM
ok im gonna need a new circuit then......... good job i got a thread up already!

Dave.
19-04-09, 05:24 PM
my old set did exactly this, it was reading half a tank when it was empty, and full when it was half full

i just changed the clocks, worked spot on then :thumb:

AlexW
19-04-09, 05:59 PM
Same, fubard gauge (more inportanly the board on the back of the gauge) There is a resistor on the circuit and that controls the light only.

Swapping the wiring dosnt work iirc, and i doubt changing the circut on the back of the dials will help. stick to pov spec dials and get a rev gauge mounted in the middle of the dash.

novaguy08
19-04-09, 08:48 PM
AW06 im not doing a race car here, just a bloomin street car not going to mount the sodding rev counter on the dash!! thats for racers only in my books!!

novaguy08
19-04-09, 08:49 PM
which clocks did you change them for??

Dave.
19-04-09, 08:55 PM
digi, if you go into my digi dash article, you cans ee the difference in the clocks on the fuel gauge, bith ebfore and after pics were taken the same day

novaguy08
19-04-09, 08:56 PM
ah righto then, dont wanna use a digi dash tbh but i might concider it when i got some cash

novaguy08
19-04-09, 11:11 PM
erm just a thought, are the SR/SRi/GTE/GSI fuel tank senders different to the poverty spec ones?

vaughanmc
19-04-09, 11:13 PM
I had the same problem with SR 4 dial clocks and also a set of GSi 6 dial clocks

I found a set of diesel clocks with the rev counter etc with a working fuel gauge and popped it into my GSi 6 dial clocks and it works fine

If I was you I'd try another set of clocks or try and buy another gauge :)

novaguy08
19-04-09, 11:20 PM
ok before i do all this, whats the red dot on the face for?

vaughanmc
19-04-09, 11:22 PM
Nothing lol :)

novaguy08
20-04-09, 08:14 AM
how sure are you about that vaughan? cos if it is for something (like needle placement which is my theory) then im propably going to need to use it!!

vaughanmc
20-04-09, 10:33 AM
I've never noticed a red-dot on any of my clocks - Possibly when the clocks are fitted its hidden behind the plastic covering stuff...

I can't remember it being for anything...

novaguy08
20-04-09, 11:45 AM
ok if ya go back to the picture i posted up you can see it on there. tested it today to see if its for needle placement and it doesnt appear to be, i think that ill give vaux a call today and see what they can think of, i dont think i will have 3 buggered gauges so im going to find out if the tank senders for the higher spec ones are different to the poverty spec ones.

x.Becca.x
20-04-09, 02:07 PM
mine are like this my petrol gauge dose not work the tank can be empty and i put £5 petrol in and it will say i got over a full tank and my temp gauge dose not work properly any help

novaguy08
20-04-09, 02:12 PM
pop the gauge pod out and check the cicuit on the back becca, if thats fine then have a look about at the earths to see if there is anything wrong with them

x.Becca.x
20-04-09, 02:25 PM
i have had a look it looks all ok all the engine earths are ok i need to look at the one in the boot and if it is not that than i don't know but my speedo over reads i will be doing 20mph and it will says i am doing 50mph if i got new clocks will it be all ok

moffat
20-04-09, 02:33 PM
i have had a look it looks all ok all the engine earths are ok i need to look at the one in the boot and if it is not that than i don't know but my speedo over reads i will be doing 20mph and it will says i am doing 50mph if i got new clocks will it be all ok

should try new clocks props easier. my temp gauge doesnt work but my petrol one works awrite.

AlexW
20-04-09, 02:42 PM
AW06 im not doing a race car here, just a bloomin street car not going to mount the sodding rev counter on the dash!! thats for racers only in my books!!

Did i say it was a race car? Jeez......

I bought 4 sets of dials, only 1 gauge worked. Digi's can be bought for about £30 and if the blubs have gone you can get them from vauxhall for about a fiver.

novaguy08
20-04-09, 03:21 PM
Dont really wanna be spending 30 notes on something that i already got anywho im hoping that its sorted now
Becca, get yourself new clocks luv, which nova you got mk1 or 2? the speedo sounds like someone has taken the needle off and put it back on wrong (i dont this, quite ammusing when approching a speed camera!!! (:eek: how fast was i going?!) sounds like the full clockset is buggered tbh though, get yourself some new ones