PDA

View Full Version : v6 starter problem??

Nobby
19-04-09, 04:46 PM
Hi guys ive just bought myself a mk3 astra v6, now the lad said the starter was no good, when you turn the key you get nothing, you can hear a clicking but it sounds like its coming from the abs module thing? like and abs ecu? So he gave me a second hand starter and i put that on but its made no difference! You turn the key and nothing? could this be an electrical problem?? Are the xe and v6 starters the same?? i have a spare xe 1 i know it good, i no my first point of call is to check wheather the new starter is any good! any help appreciated cheers!!:thumb:

Adam
19-04-09, 04:47 PM
Probably just wired up wrong....
Have a look at the wiring on the starter(if you can get to it with it being a v6 astra...)

Nobby
19-04-09, 04:51 PM
Probably just wired up wrong....
Have a look at the wiring on the starter(if you can get to it with it being a v6 astra...)

yeah its a right pain in the ****. Its so easy to remove but so hard to get to! What do you mean by check the wiring? its just got the 13mm nut and the 10mm nut? is one a ignition live and 1 a switched live?:confused: :tard:

Lee
19-04-09, 05:10 PM
One wire should be black with a red trace, and one should be a large red wire.

Get an offcut of cable and bridge the two together and see if the starter throws. If it does, and it starts, I would just run a new wire to the ignition module.

Nobby
19-04-09, 07:12 PM
One wire should be black with a red trace, and one should be a large red wire.

Get an offcut of cable and bridge the two together and see if the starter throws. If it does, and it starts, I would just run a new wire to the ignition module.

so the black and red 1 is the one with the 10mm nut and the other large red is the 13mm nut? how far back does the wire to the ignition module go?? is it and easy job im **** with electrics :(

Lee
19-04-09, 07:20 PM
On the normal loom the starter wire (black with red trace) runs from the starter motor to the ignition barrel. You just need to run a new one. Take the bottom of the steering shroud off and you will find the other end of it. Just run a new wire of a similar guage (width) from there to the starter motor IF the test i told you to do above works.

Nobby
19-04-09, 07:43 PM
sound mate ill have a bash!