PDA

View Full Version : Metallic Paint and Clearcoating

MK999
19-04-09, 01:47 PM
A metallic paint which is clearcoated, which most are I believe, as generally the metallic paint itself is matt? Will not fade in sunlight, correct? Obviously the clearcoat will still be effected and will yellow/eventually peel, but it should retains it's colour vibrance? Just looking into some paint stuff for a possible respray :)

andrew1988
19-04-09, 01:52 PM
Are you talking about painting the car in a metallic colour but not lacquering?

novaguy08
19-04-09, 01:54 PM
acrylic paints FTW! the body shoppe i used to work for used them, dont fade very easily and your right there metaclic paints are matte and laquer gives it the shine, it takes loads of abuse to make it yellow and peel however if you keep it polished and clean it will last for donkies!! ask the body shops you get some quotes from if they use 2 pack acrylic paints, if they say yes head down and get a quote......... my best guess for a bare shell re-spray you will be looking to spend about a grand at the most, unless you do all the prep work yourself. in all honesty the best way to go is strip it, head to a sand blaster get it blasted clean repair all pannels then and waxoyl the shell all over it get it straight to a body shop though it will need to be blasted waaxoyled and primered all in one day idealy!! otherwise it will start to rust

Benn
19-04-09, 01:55 PM
When you put it on you'll get a very light shine, but hardly any.
You need to lacquar it as you'll basicly rub the meatillic flecks out of the paint if you dont.

Not sure on fading but it wont keep its colour as the dirt and grim will stick and you wont be able to clean it.. And lacquar wont peel and fade is painted right and looked after.

Benn
19-04-09, 01:59 PM
acrylic paints FTW! the body shoppe i used to work for used them, dont fade very easily and your right there metaclic paints are matte and laquer gives it the shine, it takes loads of abuse to make it yellow and peel however if you keep it polished and clean it will last for donkies!! ask the body shops you get some quotes from if they use 2 pack acrylic paints, if they say yes head down and get a quote......... my best guess for a bare shell re-spray you will be looking to spend about a grand at the most, unless you do all the prep work yourself. in all honesty the best way to go is strip it, head to a sand blaster get it blasted clean repair all pannels then and waxoyl the shell all over it get it straight to a body shop though it will need to be blasted waaxoyled and primered all in one day idealy!! otherwise it will start to rust

A grand at most? With paint you pay for what you get.
500 notes gets you a out of the gun blast over. And it wont look good.
2k will get you a fantatic finish.

Bare shell... A grand? lol

So you have bare metal, you when want a full coat of etch primer.
Then primer, then wet sanding and cleaning then paint and lcquar and then flat and polishing.

You'll be looking easily over a 1.5k, i know i had most of one.

I would sand blast anything as it can do alot! most damage than you want.
Sanding is the best way.

MK999
19-04-09, 02:25 PM
Are you talking about painting the car in a metallic colour but not lacquering?
No, nothing revolutionary, just wondering if the metallic paint fades in colour at all or if it really is protected by the clearcoat

edit: just read through the other replies, painting would be done by a friend so will only cost for paint materials etc. But that wasn't the question lol

How critical is the finish on the metallic? As obviously after clearcoating it you can't get to it. Will you even notice a 'bad' finish on a metallic under clearcoat? Obviously the clearcoat can be flatted/polished after so that's not a worry at all.

novaguy08
19-04-09, 02:28 PM
sorry a grand was that cost at the last place i worked at........

MK999
19-04-09, 02:43 PM
As benn said you're paying for the finish, the 1.5k his would have cost definitely shows :thumb: But really, respray costs is a big can of worms and doesn't even come in to the equation here, so...

andrew1988
19-04-09, 02:50 PM
If you want to spray it again just stick to the same colour. Save the money and buy something better. E.G that ****ing manta you love lol

MK999
19-04-09, 02:56 PM
The red is ****e though, it's piss thin by now and it's already halfway back to when i got it colour wise despite being waxed regularly etc, plus the amount of painting it needs doing to smooth/tidy it up, it barely saves much money anyway lol I'm not definitely doing it or anything atm, just considering options :) Manta could be incoming beginning of next year, depending how my overdraft and petrol costs are lol

andrew1988
19-04-09, 03:16 PM
I just meant in a sense that you'll only really need to do outside of car rather than whole car. Oh and i think were getting a spray booth at yard soon hopefully

MK999
19-04-09, 03:22 PM
That'll be cool :D

I was gonna skimp on engine bay anyway, and rattle can that grey when i do the engine swap, since it's gonna get covered in crap anyway, and grey is a little bit of a motorsport influence too. Interior would be an extra cost I guess, I hadn't really thought about it tbh.

Fancy metallic orange, but like I said nothing is definite etc yet, louvred bonnet has always been at the back of my mind as a long term thing so I'd want to get that done before a respray probably, I won't know until I have the money in my hand and the desire to paint it really lol

Benn
19-04-09, 11:25 PM
Gwtting the finish on metillic is something i found hard at first.
I was being show to different ways so i wasnt sure which way was best.

I picked my own which was a mix of both.

Getting the base to start to shine is what i've found when watching and doing give the best finish.

But even it being put on badly, with good lacquaring over the top it can still look amazing.

Tbh, freashly paint flame red is stunning. And so easy to keep bright bright red.

But Flame red, then lacquared looks fantastic! The colour looks even deeper and the shine is unreal.

At my old work we have a louts cortina. I was painted in bright racing red. Then flatted off and lacquared. The finish was unbeileveable. The gloss was so deep and so red, it was beautiful.

MK999
19-04-09, 11:35 PM
I'd always thought about freshening up the red because as you say fresh it looks stunning, Simps/Nick J's (although a ferrari red) are good examples but I love the apache orange nova in the york pics thread, just looks awesome, and it's something a bit different :) Got plenty of time to think about it anyway

Benn
19-04-09, 11:44 PM
If somes one done it then its not different.

MK999
19-04-09, 11:59 PM
Depends which metallic orange I end up using :) I'd be hard pushed to find a colour group no ones done lol

Benn
20-04-09, 07:11 PM
No you wouldnt, and keep it red.