PDA

View Full Version : Did you know? Useless factoids

novaguy08
19-04-09, 10:59 AM
Hiya guys & gals :D

Though I would pop a thread up to see what people kinda know in useless factoids, the kinda thing that would just about come up in a pub quiz, or something that you think that people dont REALLY need to know about something in the world. Whether it be motoring, animals or anything if its pretty mucvh useless then its good to know :D

Right then ill start off:

Did you know that Formula 1 cars Average just 4.857mpg!!!:eek:

Please people post up what you want here so long as its a usless factoid its all good :D :thumb:

Rickardo
19-04-09, 11:05 AM
Billiards great, Henry Lewis once sank 46 balls in a row.
Golf-great Billy Casper turned golf pro during the Korean War while serving in the Navy. Casper was assigned to operate and build golf driving ranges for the Navy in the San Diego area.
Four men in the history of boxing have been knocked out in the first eleven seconds of the first round.
Mark McGwire's record-setting 70 home runs in the 1998 season traveled a total of 29,598 feet, enough to fly over Mount Everest.
Prior to 1900, prize fights lasted up to 100 rounds.
Not all Golf Balls have 360 dimples. There are some as high as 420. Thereare also all different kinds of dimple patterns.
Golf was banned in England in 1457 because it was considered a distraction from the serious pursuit of archery.
The Iditarod dog sled race - from Anchorage to Nome, Alaska - commemorates an emergency operation in 1925 to get medical supplies to Nome following a diphtheria epidemic.
In July 1934 Babe Ruth paid a fan $20 dollars for the return of the baseball he hit for his 700th career home run.
In 1969 a brief battle broke out between Honduras and El Salvador. Although tensions had been rough between the two countries, the reason for the war was El Salvador's victory over Honduras in the World Cup Soccer playoffs. Gunfire was exchanged for about 30 minutes before reason could prevail.
Horse racing is one of the most dangerous sports. Between 2 and 3 jockeys are killed each year. That's about how many baseball players have died in baseball's entire professional history.
Bulgaria was the only soccer team in the 1994 World Cup in which all 11 players' last names ended with the letters "OV."
Gene Sarazen, a golfer from several generations ago, set the record for the fastest golf drive: 120 mph.
Michael Sangster, who played in the 1960s, had tennis' fastest serve, once clocked at 154 mph.
In 1964 for the 10th time in his major-league baseball career, Mickey Mantle hit home runs from both the left and ride sides of the plate in the same game - setting a new baseball record.
Since 1896, the beginning of the modern Olympics, only Greece and Australia have participated in every Games.
Australian Rules football was originally designed to give cricketers something to play during the off season.
Baseball cards have been around since 1886. Modern cards, with high-resolution color photographs on the front and player statistics on the back, date from 1953. The photos are taken in the spring, with and without team caps, just in case the player is traded to another team.
Because of fears that the Japanese, who had attacked Pearl Harbor less than a month earlier, might attach California, the Rose Bowl game of 1942 between Oregon State and Duke University was moved east to Duke's hometown in Durham, North Carolina. It didn't, however, help the home team. Oregon won, 20-16.
Racehorses have been known to wear out new shoes in one race.
The home team must provide the referee with 36 footballs for each National Football League game.
Olympic Badminton rules say that the birdie has to have exactly fourteen feathers.
Many Japanese golfers carry "hole-in-one" insurance, because it is traditional in Japan to share one's good luck by sending gifts to all your friends when you get an "ace." The price for what the Japanese term an "albatross" can often reach $10,000.
Will Clark, professional baseball player, is a direct descendant of William Clark of Lewis and Clark.
The 1990 New York Yankee pitching staff set an all-time record with the fewest complete games, three.
Rick and Paul Reuschel of the 1975 Chicago Cubs combine to pitch a shutout, the first time brothers do this.
At 101, Larry Lewis ran the 100 yard dash in 17.8 seconds setting a new world record for runners 100 years old or older.
The silhouette on the Major League Baseball logo is Harmon Killebrew.
Superfly Jimmy Snuka was the first E.C.W. World Champ.
Honey is used as a center for golf balls and in antifreeze mixtures.

General Baxter
19-04-09, 11:06 AM
Did you know that Formula 1 cars Average just 4.857mpg!!!:eek:

light weights lol

Mazz
19-04-09, 11:11 AM
My useless fact is:

Did you know the pilot flying the chopper at the start of Predator (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093773/) is the bloke in the Predator suit - he wanted his face on screen too.

novaguy08
19-04-09, 11:14 AM
which site you copy all that from rickardo? lol

novaguy08
19-04-09, 11:15 AM
light weights lol

mind you hummer H2 can go as low as 1mpg!!

mowgli
19-04-09, 11:25 AM
A dog licks its own testicles simply because it can.

Musk, the ingredient in the most expensive perfumes comes from a deers foreskin.

Margaret Thatcher helped invent both soft scoop & Mr Whippy icecream.

the shiny side of tin foil is no better than the dull side.. remember this when your mum tells you which way round it should go. the difference is simply down to how its made.

Rickardo
19-04-09, 12:05 PM
which site you copy all that from rickardo? lol

just googled useless fact's and it came up.. :thumb:. there is shedloads of useless information on the tinternet.

mowgli
19-04-09, 12:09 PM
The first cars did not have steering wheels. Drivers steered with a lever.
The New York City Police Department used bicycles to pursue speeding motorists in 1898.
The first speeding ticket was issued in 1902.
In 1916, 55 percent of the cars in the world were Model T Fords, a record that has never been beaten.
The first gas gauge appeared in cars in 1922.
In 1923, 173 new inventions by women for cars had been reported. Among these inventions were a carburetor and an electric engine starter.
The first car radio was invented in 1929.
Buick introduced the first electric turn signals in 1938.
The Peanuts characters were first animated in 1957 for a Ford Fairlaine automobile commercial.
Most American car horns beep in the key of F.
The automobile is the most recycled consumer product in the world today.
The first person to be killed in an auto accident in the United States was Henry H. Bliss, a 68-year-old real estate broker. On September 14, 1899, in New York City, Mr. Bliss stepped from a streetcar, turned to assist a woman passenger, and was hit by a cab.

novaguy08
19-04-09, 05:13 PM
this is turning out to be quite entertaining, not even got past 1st page yet :D

NovaBoi92
19-04-09, 05:16 PM
did you know that 3 people die each year from 'trouser related' incidents

NovaBoi92
19-04-09, 05:17 PM
15 people died each year from choking on biro pens

mowgli
19-04-09, 05:20 PM
In Beijing every 19 seconds a man gets hit by a car... he is getting really pissed off & wants them to stop it

novaguy08
19-04-09, 05:21 PM
In Beijing every 19 seconds a man gets hit by a car... he is getting really pissed off & wants them to stop it

lmafo

Lee
19-04-09, 05:22 PM
Without googling like some obviously have lol

Old spiral staircases almost always spiral upwards clockwise, and this stems from the staircases that used to lead to a castles dungeon. If a prisoner escaped and tried to figh his way up the stairs, his sword hand would be hampered by the central column, whereas the retreating guard would have his right arm free to swing :)

Also the reason why we shake hands with the right hand is from when two people or groups of armies would meet on a road, they would offer their right hand to show they are not holding a sword. This is ALSO why we drive on the left in this country as well

novaguy08
19-04-09, 05:23 PM
Also the reason why we shake hands with the right hand is from when two people or groups of armies would meet on a road, they would offer their right hand to show they are not holding a sword. This is ALSO why we drive on the left in this country as well

Bugger i was saving this one for later!!

NovaBoi92
19-04-09, 05:23 PM
Every time you lick a stamp, you consume 1/10th of a calorie
A pigs orgasm last for 30 minutes.

ive rememberd loads of facts from when i got bored and searched random facts lol

mowgli
19-04-09, 05:25 PM
A pigs orgasm last for 30 minutes.

male or female pig ?????

NovaBoi92
19-04-09, 05:28 PM
not a clue.

mayhem
19-04-09, 05:29 PM
Without googling like some obviously have lol

Old spiral staircases almost always spiral upwards clockwise, and this stems from the staircases that used to lead to a castles dungeon. If a prisoner escaped and tried to figh his way up the stairs, his sword hand would be hampered by the central column, whereas the retreating guard would have his right arm free to swing :)

Also the reason why we shake hands with the right hand is from when two people or groups of armies would meet on a road, they would offer their right hand to show they are not holding a sword. This is ALSO why we drive on the left in this country as well~

i'm left handed... i would have been a great knight:D

mowgli
19-04-09, 05:32 PM
~

i'm left handed... i would have been a great knight:D

the trouble with that is that in european ruling houses, being left handed was seen as a sign of weakness, so from an early age, their children who appeared left handed had their left hand strapped to their side & they were made to do everything right handed.

Sloth
19-04-09, 06:09 PM
a fiat panda 900 front cv joint is a perfect puller for a cb100 honda clutch basket.

reliant robin rotor arms fit aston martin v8s.

the vauxhall slant 4 engine, was originally designed as a v8, to replace the small block chevy.

rover's v8 was originally designed by buick. they binned it because it was slow and underpowered and cost too much.

all the seats in an austin maxi fold flat perfectly, and make a double bed.

audis symbol of 4 rings stands for; audi, horch, wanderer, and DKW.

the Wannkel engine was originally designed by leonardo da vinci as a water pump.

bmw's v12 can "drop" one bank of cylinders, and run on 6.

nissans 1992 skyline r32 gtr has the fastest acting computer outside of the space shuttle* (*in 1992, at teh skylines launch)

fords rs200 had a fibre glass body made by reliant motors.

bugatti's type 35 engine was so well toleranced, and used roller bearings, it could be run using cooking oil to lubricate it.

there are more small block chevy engines than there are chevy cars for them.

when designing the mx-5, mazda had and e type jag, a mgb, and a lotus elan in the design studio.

NovaBoi92
19-04-09, 06:18 PM
some interesting ones there ^ :)

Jack
19-04-09, 06:55 PM
Coughs travel at 30mph, sneezes at 70mph.

kelbelle
19-04-09, 07:10 PM
lol is it bad that I skipped all the car ones

I am actually the queen of useless facts but now im being made to think of one off the top of my head im drawing a blank :S

General Baxter
19-04-09, 07:11 PM
sneezes at 70mph.

wrong, 'i can do science me' lol

kelbelle
19-04-09, 07:12 PM
Sirloin steak is called so because some king (maybe Henry III) thought loin tasted so good he knighted it

The guys who started Walls icecream both died from heart attack, one after a quadruple heart bypass and one after a quintuplet heart bypass (not sure how that works though!)

Jay
19-04-09, 07:22 PM
The first gas gauge appeared in cars in 1922.

80 years later and still Nova ones are ****!

novaguy08
19-04-09, 08:55 PM
reliant robin rotor arms fit aston martin v8s.

Thats gotta be bs?!! which is more expencive as if i need to ask!!

rover's v8 was originally designed by buick. they binned it because it was slow and underpowered and cost too much.

Every bugger knows that one lol but then every bugger knows that the guys who binned that engine must be kicking themselves now knowing how many been put in different things!!

Mike
19-04-09, 09:00 PM
My next door neighbour has 13 dogs. His wife could potentially be one of them....

novaguy08
19-04-09, 09:02 PM
mike thats not a factoid that just......... no words discribe it

mowgli
19-04-09, 09:48 PM
Every bugger knows that one lol but then every bugger knows that the guys who binned that engine must be kicking themselves now knowing how many been put in different things!!

buick were actually having reliability trouble with making the iron liners seat into the ally block and it was costing them money....

they 'gave' the design away to rover, before the whole muscle & pony car power thing in the late sixties. and to be honest, a 160 hp 3.5L engine was just unsaleable in the states at the time. even though they had even turboed it and stuck it into a sporty small oldsmobile.........the small block chevy lump was about the same size, not that much heavier & capable of 250hp all day.

just cos the rover v8 was stuck in loads of different cars does not mean it was a gigantic seller.

best rover v8 fact is that it actually won the f1 world championship
I borrowed this from wikipedia... the repco v8 used a 'rover' v8 block, and daimler v8 rods:-

The FIA doubled the Formula One engine capacity limit to 3 litres for the 1966 season (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_Formula_One_season) and suitable engines were scarce. Brabham used engines from Australian engineering firm Repco (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repco), which had never produced a Formula One engine before, based on aluminium V8 engine blocks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_block) from the defunct American Oldsmobile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile) F85 road car project, and other off the shelf parts.[14] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabham#cite_note-13) Consulting and design engineer Phil Irving (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Irving) (of Vincent Motorcycle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Motorcycle) fame) was the project engineer responsible for producing an outstanding engine in such a short space of time. However, few expected the Brabham-Repcos to be competitive,[15] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabham#cite_note-14) but the light and reliable cars ran at the front from the start of the season. At the French Grand Prix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_French_Grand_Prix) at Reims-Gueux (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reims-Gueux), Jack Brabham became the first man to win a Formula One world championship race in a car bearing his own name. Only his former team mate, Bruce McLaren (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_McLaren), has since matched the achievement. It was the first in a run of four straight wins for the Australian veteran. Jack Brabham won his third title in 1966, becoming the only driver (as of 2007) to win the Formula One World Championship in a car carrying his own name

Mike
19-04-09, 09:56 PM
mike thats not a factoid that just......... no words discribe it

What makes you king of the facts then ehh lol

Mike
19-04-09, 09:57 PM
Oh yea, the "everyone knows this" fact....

Red cars DONT go faster.

mowgli
19-04-09, 09:59 PM
Oh yea, the "everyone knows this" fact....

Red BULL cars go faster.!

Sloth
19-04-09, 10:01 PM
seems when they get wet they do. i did hear a rumour they were gonna pi$$ on em in future.....

novaguy08
19-04-09, 10:04 PM
mowglii you cut half that from wikipedia :(
still ya right there though, however judging by the amount of cars it was put into 8 different eveolutions and 21 different cars its been in!! still might not be the worlds biggest seller however its had a sweet run!!

Sloth
19-04-09, 10:07 PM
yer for a bag of crap it has.

mowgli
19-04-09, 10:11 PM
yer for a bag of crap it has.

I've got one in the shed for a future project. it is a 50 year old design, it is no better than 2 marina engines in one block in terms of performance, or economy, but it is light, and bulky.

to get any real gains from it, it needs boring out, then some proper head work & a huge carb. thus it will be an expensive thing to play with.

novaguy08
19-04-09, 10:13 PM
ok ok away from Rover V8's back to useless factoids lol

Sloth
19-04-09, 10:16 PM
indeed. my uncle is a proper hot rodder, and spent 20 years building a 33 ford tudor with a 3.9 v8. he had it on the road a year and yanked it out and stuffed a big block chevy in it. it cost him the same for a crate bbc rated to 500bhp as it did for a 290 bhp rover.

Bubba
19-04-09, 10:17 PM
lol is it bad that I skipped all the car ones

I am actually the queen of useless facts but now im being made to think of one off the top of my head im drawing a blank :S

Im the king, i send random facts most days to a set list on my phone haha

at 120mph an f1 car will stick to the roof of a tunnel

Squirrels cant catch or carry rabies

at last count there were about 226,000 trees in central park N.Y

Badgers have the strongest jaw in the animal kindom

Mosquitos are twice as attracted to the colour blue than any other colour

Spudly
19-04-09, 10:32 PM
The "flicking the V's" at someone originates from back in the times of archers fighting in wars, the french would cut the two fingers off the english archers right hands when/if they captured them, so the english took to taunting them by flicking the two fingers at them to show they still had their powerful/trained bow-string fingers:thumb:

novaguy08
20-04-09, 03:34 PM
nice factoids....... keep em coming

Stanley
20-04-09, 03:36 PM
Hitler invented the motorway, or 'Autobahn'.

He was also a bit of a c|_|nt.

novaguy08
20-04-09, 03:37 PM
yeah just a lil bit!

Tidy Max
20-04-09, 03:49 PM
the little paper circles you get from using a hole punch are called 'chads'!

erm

pirates wore eye patches was so they could see in the when they went down into the galley to fight other pirates! they could flip the patch up and there eye would already be accustomed to the dark!

The concrete in the middle of the hoover damn still won't be completely set for like another 30+ years (i forget the figure, someone research?), hmm i have a few more but im struggling to remember! bees don't die when they sting you! (unlike the b@stard wasp that stung me last night!!!) ill get thinking of some more!

joeSRI
20-04-09, 03:59 PM
[quote=Tidy Max]

pirates wore eye patches was so they could see in the when they went down into the galley to fight other pirates! they could flip the patch up and there eye would already be accustomed to the dark!

quote]

Like that one ^^ :thumb:

Tidy Max
20-04-09, 04:05 PM
yarggggh me too matey, yarghhhh lol

novaguy08
20-04-09, 10:09 PM
here we have some chemestry ones :D

A diamond is actually the same as coal, its Carbon just with a different molocule structure

The chemical composition of sugar is C6H12O6 which means its a hydrocarbon like petrol, diesel, alcahol :D

The longer a hydrocarbon chain is the more volotile it is so the diesel hydrocarbon chain is longer then the petrol hydrocarbon (i forget exact numbers feel free to let me know as i cba to google it :D)

Jack
20-04-09, 10:25 PM
On average, it takes a little over 8 minutes for the light from the Sun to reach the Earth. If the Sun was to suddenly die out and stop producing light, it would take 8 minutes for us to see it. The Sun we see when we look up into the sky is in fact how the Sun was, 8 minutes ago.

NovaBoi92
20-04-09, 10:26 PM
On average, it takes a little over 8 minutes for the light from the Sun to reach the Earth. If the Sun was to suddenly die out and stop producing light, it would take 8 minutes for us to see it. The Sun we see when we look up into the sky is in fact how the Sun was, 8 minutes ago.

things like this is why people think time travel is possible, if you go over the speed of light, or some sh!t like that.

djbrowney
20-04-09, 10:33 PM
concrete is actually green its only the surface that is grey an takes 15 years to cure (go of lol )

Jack
20-04-09, 10:36 PM
things like this is why people think time travel is possible, if you go over the speed of light, or some sh!t like that.
Well when you consider time is relative to movement (and to distance), then yes, time travel is possible in certain respects

Dar
20-04-09, 10:38 PM
My Nova uses the same size pistons as a Bugatti Veyron.
EDIT: So the C20XE has the same bore and stroke as a Veyron:thumb:

mowgli
20-04-09, 10:41 PM
concrete is actually green its only the surface that is grey an takes 15 years to cure (go of lol )

I beg to differ.

I've been laying concrete for about 20 years on and off. the description of green concrete is usually in the first 24-48 hrs or until it has reached its design strength and that has nothing to do with the colour, its more to do with it not being ready, ie. like an unripe fruit. I agree that concrete apparently takes 15 years to become inert, but it will be grey in under a week

djbrowney
20-04-09, 10:44 PM
I beg to differ.

I've been laying concrete for about 20 years on and off. the description of green concrete is usually in the first 24-48 hrs or until it has reached its design strength and that has nothing to do with the colour, its more to do with it not being ready, ie. like an unripe fruit. I agree that concrete apparently takes 15 years to become inert, but it will be grey in under a week

im not saying your wrong but after busting concrete up 18 months after it had been poured it was as green as the day it was poured, im not sure if you have ever gunned piles down on a footing, there still green 2 years down the line :tard:

mowgli
20-04-09, 10:52 PM
im not saying your wrong but after busting concrete up 18 months after it had been poured it was as green as the day it was poured, im not sure if you have ever gunned piles down on a footing, there still green 2 years down the line :tard:

I've never done anything other than break the tops down on a couple for footings on an apartment job a couple of years ago using c35 and they were grey, but maybe that cos we use granite in our concrete, but what I saw of the pilers, there must be a lot of shaky buildings about.....

djbrowney
20-04-09, 10:55 PM
but what I saw of the pilers, there must be a lot of shaky buildings about.....

probaly no differnt or better quality than was done 30 years ago, difference is we wernt there to moan or criticise :thumb:

mowgli
20-04-09, 11:00 PM
probaly no differnt or better quality than was done 30 years ago, difference is we wernt there to moan or criticise :thumb:

I did not have a very good opinion of how these lads did the piling, with soil falling back in & chopping rebars down then slinging them in willy nilly

djbrowney
21-04-09, 05:12 PM
I did not have a very good opinion of how these lads did the piling, with soil falling back in & chopping rebars down then slinging them in willy nilly

piling should always be done on a piling matt consiting of a layer of teram an 300mm of crushed hardcore an then rolled in after, not straight on top of soil. longest lenghts of re-bar as possible, so yes your proably right lol

George g
21-04-09, 05:27 PM
here we have some chemestry ones :D

A diamond is actually the same as coal, its Carbon just with a different molocule structure

The chemical composition of sugar is C6H12O6 which means its a hydrocarbon like petrol, diesel, alcahol :D

true, but i wouldnt want to drink the hydrocarbon alcohol(like meths)... its poisionous to us, organic alcohol is the good stuff (and the sugar is also an organic hydrocarbon)

The longer a hydrocarbon chain is the more volotile it is so the diesel hydrocarbon chain is longer then the petrol hydrocarbon (i forget exact numbers feel free to let me know as i cba to google it :D)

other way round chap, the shorther the chain, the more volotile :thumb:

EDIT => ME = :tard:

:cry:

my useless factoid

the speed of light is a constant and is seen as the maximum speed at which anything can travel at. :thumb:

MK999
21-04-09, 05:32 PM
true, but i wouldnt want to drink the hydrocarbon alcohol(like meths)... its poisionous to us, organic alcohol is the good stuff :tard: (and the sugar is also an organic hydrocarbon)

Um, alchohol is a hydrocarbon, it's ethanol, and yes it is indeed poisonous, hence the term "alchohol poisoning".

George g
21-04-09, 07:09 PM
Um, alchohol is a hydrocarbon, it's ethanol, and yes it is indeed poisonous, hence the term "alchohol poisoning".

sorry... me getting my chemistry the wrong way round... both sugar and alcohol are an organic hydrocarbon... :tard:

for some reason was thinking methane & ethane... :tard:

:thumb:

mowgli
21-04-09, 08:59 PM
factoid, yellow snow should not be eaten

novaguy08
21-04-09, 09:57 PM
the smell of your fart is actually tiny particles of poo...... so the worse it is the more you have just shat yourself
lmao

novaguy08
21-04-09, 10:01 PM
true, but i wouldnt want to drink the hydrocarbon alcohol(like meths)... its poisionous to us, organic alcohol is the good stuff (and the sugar is also an organic hydrocarbon)

I did say that sugar was a hydrocarbon & alcahol comes in many forms, my favorite is the old skool elthenol :)

other way round chap, the shorther the chain, the more volotile :thumb:

My bad :D if thats the case diesel is actually shorter then petrol, ill confirm that one and come back

Jack
21-04-09, 10:11 PM
The Lego Company is the world's largest manufacturer of tyres.

novaguy08
21-04-09, 10:13 PM
petrol = C8H18
Diesel = C12H23 (average)

*Figures taken from wikipedia so if they wrong & you know better then take it up with them

Therefore a longer hydrocarbon is more volotile.......... George :p

And before you say it diesel IS more volotile then petrol, as it dont need a spark to burn!!

General Baxter
21-04-09, 10:16 PM
my fact of the day

i like pie :p

novaguy08
21-04-09, 10:20 PM
:roll:
nice one baxter lol, currently trying to think of one!

Asa-James
21-04-09, 10:24 PM
The Lego Company is the world's largest manufacturer of tyres.

my favorite so far...

there are as many calories in a pint of guinness as there are in a full sunday roast...

it takes more muscles (therefore more effort) to frown than to smile, but far fewer muscles to raise your middle finger:D

The combination "ough" can be pronounced in nine different ways. The following sentence contains them all: "A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful plough man strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed."

If you went out into space, you would explode before you suffocated because there's no air pressure.

MK999
21-04-09, 10:28 PM
petrol = C8H18

*Figures taken from wikipedia so if they wrong & you know better then take it up with them

And before you say it diesel IS more volotile then petrol, as it dont need a spark to burn!!

Petrol is a mix of different hydrocarbons, which is why there are different octane numbers of petrol. Shorter hydrocarbon strains are more volatile and burn more cleanly than longer ones. Petrol will burn uncompressed, whereas diesel won't... which is why the retards that tried to burn down one of the temporary classrooms at my secondary school with diesel just caused a lot of smoke damage.

The chemical compositions you posted are probably the 'main' ingredient of both petrol and diesel. Pretty sure petrol is more volatile than diesel, as said it burns uncompressed, compression in diesel engines is very very high afaik, which is what gives the early diesel engines that horrid constant knocking noise.

andrew1988
22-04-09, 08:46 AM
If you went out into space, you would explode before you suffocated because there's no air pressure.

Not true. After 10-15 seconds you would past out and turn blue with a loss of oxygen but you'd remain in that state for a minute and a half before your body would begin to shut down. Within that nearly 2 minute threshold you can be resucitated with nearly no irreversable damage :thumb:

Jack
22-04-09, 10:08 AM
The radiation would probably do you some nasties though.

I didn't think space was a true vacuum anyway?

MK999
22-04-09, 12:50 PM
The radiation would probably do you some nasties though.

I didn't think space was a true vacuum anyway?

1 molecule of hydrogen per cm cubed roughly :thumb:

jord4n
22-04-09, 02:12 PM
on this day in 1943 Britain discontinued printing £1,000 notes

Jack
22-04-09, 03:30 PM
666 isn't the "number of the beast". In fact its 616, but due to errors in translation, misinterpretation, and corruption of holy scriptures over the centuries, it changed by 50.

mowgli
22-04-09, 08:11 PM
667 is the neighbour of the beast

novaguy08
26-04-09, 08:46 PM
the blue veins in cheese is actually mould put there in the manufacturing process

NovaBoi92
26-04-09, 08:48 PM
Did you know that china had a lookalike competition and Everybody won :D

Jack
27-04-09, 01:35 PM
Can anyone confirm this "fact"... I've heard it a few times but am a bit sceptical.

People say the harvester or daddy long legs, or one of those waifish spider type things, has the most poisonous spider venom but it doesn't know how to use it or something?

joeSRI
27-04-09, 01:38 PM
It has the most poisonous venom but cant use it cos they have no fangs or whatever?

NovaBoi92
27-04-09, 02:01 PM
it is true, but its fangs arent strong enough to bite us

Lee
27-04-09, 02:21 PM
Jack, its a common mistake, but that fact doesn't relate to OUR daddy long legs, which is a crane fly, it relates to a spider found in the US which they nicknamed the daddy long legs :)

kelbelle
27-04-09, 02:21 PM
no no no Its the most poisonous if it were in a large enough quantity for a human. The amount they secret in a bite is too small to kill a human.

Im sure many a student has scraped the fluff of cheese before and eaten it but you shouldnt. The bacteria is actually in the middle of the cheese and the fluffy stuff on the surface is just the spores they fire outwards to reproduce and grow

NovaBoi92
27-04-09, 02:27 PM
Jack, its a common mistake, but that fact doesn't relate to OUR daddy long legs, which is a crane fly, it relates to a spider found in the US which they nicknamed the daddy long legs :)
thats interesting.

Im sure many a student has scraped the fluff of cheese before and eaten it but you shouldnt. The bacteria is actually in the middle of the cheese and the fluffy stuff on the surface is just the spores they fire outwards to reproduce and grow

thats disgusting

kelbelle
27-04-09, 02:28 PM
What eating the cheese in the first place or the spore thing?

I personally have never eaten fluffy cheese

NovaBoi92
27-04-09, 02:34 PM
the spore thing. spores are disgusting :(

George g
27-04-09, 03:36 PM
petrol = C8H18

Petrol is a mix of different hydrocarbons, which is why there are different octane numbers of petrol. Shorter hydrocarbon strains are more volatile and burn more cleanly than longer ones. Petrol will burn uncompressed, whereas diesel won't... which is why the retards that tried to burn down one of the temporary classrooms at my secondary school with diesel just caused a lot of smoke damage.

The chemical compositions you posted are probably the 'main' ingredient of both petrol and diesel. Pretty sure petrol is more volatile than diesel, as said it burns uncompressed, compression in diesel engines is very very high afaik, which is what gives the early diesel engines that horrid constant knocking noise.

what he said!.

on another note, when has a chain of 8 carbon molecules been longer than a chain of 12? :tard:

Volatile - check definition here (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+volatile&meta=). Diesel takes an age to evaporate, petrol does it quicker, and methane (CH4 - the shortest of the hydrocarbons) is a gas/vapour at room temperature. Hence the shorter the chain, the more volatile.

Jack
27-04-09, 06:00 PM
I personally have never eaten fluffy cheese
lol lol lol