PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on a new carb for my 1.2...

burgessovsalford
20-01-03, 03:03 PM
mines ready for going, so I fort i might aswell upgrade instead of replacing with a standard one.

twin 40's, etc.... performance carbs. can u get these fit onto my little 1.2 carb engine??

What gains will I get, ie. better petrol consumption, better acceleration, more power?

Also what prices am I looking at for one, & would it b worth it on a 1.2...

I know s**t about carbs, so I dont mean to sound thick...lol!

cheers
Burgess

ade
20-01-03, 03:18 PM
same as you m8, I now nuffin about engines but from advice sought in the past I think any carb changes you do you need a new manifold. Think you can fit webber one - dunno about twin 40's.

You prob wouldnt get that many gains - a couple of bhp - youd get more in the engine so beter fuel atomisation but you need to engine mods to make use of it - also a good exhaust system to get the gases out quick.

Look at upgrading trhe engine to a 1.4 - much bigger modding potential and I be;lieve all round bigger gains to be had.

Fuel consumption wise, it all depends on how you drive - I fitted a K&N filter to my standard carb and when set up right my mileage and acceleration improved - not massively but enough for me to notice. I think with the bigger carbbed systems (twin 40's etc) expect the fuel consumption to jump as they have more jets pushing more fuel into the engine (I think!)

Ade
:D

burgessovsalford
20-01-03, 03:31 PM
I've got a bolt on K&N filter at the mo, when I replaced the standard filter I noticed the noise which was great but didnt feel better acceleration etc...

I looked at the guide on this site, that said change the main jets otherwise you wont feel any gain, but I noticed in other posts people who change the jet sometimes fail there MOT's cos of emmisions... got my MOT at the end of the month so not plannin on changing it yet.

ADE- When you say setting up the K&N right, did you change the jets, or just get the carb tweeked/tuned?

rgv_stu
20-01-03, 04:42 PM
basically the 1200 carb head is roughly the same as the 1300 head.
any performance parts that fit the 1300 will fit the 1200.
so inlet manifold for 40's get the one for a 1300 as it will fit
get a 1300 carb inlet manifold + carb (post 85 twinchoke 2e3)
that will give an allround gain
or get the manifold then get a weber downdraft replacement.
40's is a bit of a novelty on a 1200 tbh - it aint gonna make much more power than a weber downdraft (32/34 dmtl or similar) and is gonna be costly on fuel.

ade
21-01-03, 01:53 PM
needed to adjust the mixture slightly as failed MOT for emmisions - more air going into engine meant I was losing power on fast journeys (60mph +) so I cranked fuel mix up a bit - bit too much - left jets as was (pieberg basic carb) - took it to a garage after MOT failed - said the emissions should be below 2% - mine were running at 8!

lol

Ade

burgessovsalford
21-01-03, 03:22 PM
:lol: cheers ade...