PDA

View Full Version : E16se help!

bola
17-04-09, 10:04 PM
My engine will tickover and runs fine, doesnt knock or anything. The issue is when its running quite a bit oil comes from the air filter (its a pipercross cone type so can see it quite clearly). I wondered if it could be because i have no baffle in the pipe that goes from the rocker cover to the inlet manifold? So i fitted a oil catch tank and it made no difference. What else could this be, anyone had any similar problems? thanks

mowgli
17-04-09, 10:06 PM
rings are probably worn, making it breathe really heavily.

bola
18-04-09, 09:13 PM
well its been fully rebuilt so that shouldnt be the case! I thought maybe a blocked oil gallery but just wondered what else it could be before i take the engine to bits again! :( Any chance i could just have pipes going to th inlet manifold wrong or something?

craig green
18-04-09, 09:17 PM
Pics of the piping?????

If it wasnt run in properly a new build could still suffer 'blow by' through the rings & breathe heavily as above....

chimp007_uk
18-04-09, 09:31 PM
try blocking off the breather on the TB and running a hose from the breather in the rocker to a bottle or catch tank and see how much oil is being forced out.

Do a compression test would be the first thing.

bola
18-04-09, 09:33 PM
Its never really been ran tbh, just to the mot station and home which is less than a mile, other than that its just ticked over to have timing set up etc.. How could i stop it breathing heavily then craig?
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k163/bolabola/Photo-0525-1.jpg

Its the pipe with the big arrow to it which is just normal piping with no baffle in it etc. I have sorted the other pipes hanging off in that pic and now have the correct rocker cover on!

EDIT - chimp 007 i added a catcher tank and seemed to make no difference and the compression test came out at 13bar for each cylinder

chimp007_uk
18-04-09, 09:34 PM
Thats the rocker breather, its plumbed into the TB to help emissions and burn the oil vapours.

Try as above. Then go from there.

bola
18-04-09, 09:38 PM
edited it as you were writing that chimp007!

craig green
18-04-09, 09:40 PM
If the new rings didnt score into the hone marks in the cylinder walls & bed in properly, a decent enough seal between the oil control rings wont have been established & oil on the bore walls under the piston will be forced up past the rings. This can be burnt off or even get up past the valves & into the inlet tract & upper cylinder head & rocker cover.

On your pic where does the pipe go to on the rocker cover, its not clear.
Not sure the pipe at the back, behind the inlet is piped into the inlet pipe properly.

chimp007_uk
18-04-09, 09:48 PM
Thats not a e16se rocker cover, there should be a breather take off on the top part and a larder one on the cam carrier

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/chimp007_uk/Photo0003-1.jpg

bola
18-04-09, 09:50 PM
yeah the pipe you can see the other end of is on properly now i just didnt know where it went when i took the pic. The pipe i have an arrow to just goes from a small connection on the sider of the rocker cover to the tb.

chimp007_uk
18-04-09, 09:51 PM
thats ok

bola
18-04-09, 09:53 PM
i have this rocker cover on now chimp, similar to what youve just posted up -
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k163/bolabola/Photo-0538.jpg

bola
19-04-09, 07:12 PM
no more ideas then?