PDA

View Full Version : taxing on-line

draper
17-04-09, 01:32 PM
if i tax the nova today on-line do i still have to wait for the tax disc to arrive ? im sure its an offence to drive a vehicle on a public highway without showing a valid tax disc isnt it ??

Pistol Pete
17-04-09, 01:33 PM
Yes you have to wait. Failure to display is fineable...

draper
17-04-09, 01:34 PM
may aswell wait for my insurance docs then and tax the old fashioned way

cheers fella

L14MNP
17-04-09, 01:36 PM
It's outdated isn't it! Who cares if it aint on display these days, most coppers can check with their ANPR trickery. :S

Get a Del Boy 'Tax in post' note made up - you're dodgy enough to lol

draper
17-04-09, 01:37 PM
It's outdated isn't it! Who cares if it aint on display these days, most coppers can check with their ANPR trickery. :S

Get a Del Boy 'Tax in post' note made up - you're dodgy enough to lol

the cheek of it, im a changed man ;)

L14MNP
17-04-09, 01:38 PM
the cheek of it, im a changed man ;)
Clean clothes or not, you're still bent as a nine bob note when it involves the law lol

Tommy_nova
17-04-09, 02:21 PM
iv done it before just had the ref code they gave me if a coper stoped me id show that and they could check it up with the dvla sure i call the dvla and they said its fine for 5 days or suming silly..

auzzy-b
17-04-09, 02:34 PM
You should just be able to drive without it, all will be confirmed on the systems database as long as you have paid.

Jack
17-04-09, 02:37 PM
VE10, failure to display tax disc, is still a legit law. Even if you have purchased car tax, you can still be done for not displaying it.

The DVLA will argue that you have a 14 day window in which to renew your tax (if renewing) which is ample time for delivery, or to query a failure of delivery. Unfortunately those who are taxing new cars will just have to wait a few days - if you're returning a car to the road, the best course of action is to sort out the insurance, book the MOT for a couple days later, giving your insurance docs time to arrive. Take those to the MOT station, if it passes you can then get tax on the way home.

Personally I always prefer to get tax at the post office - not only do I guarantee the tax is sorted as I have it in my hand, but its another valuable service which helps keep local post offices open.

Pistol Pete
17-04-09, 02:41 PM
^ very good points.

Jack
17-04-09, 02:50 PM
I love reading Road Traffic Acts, there's loads of interesting laws in them. Anyway, the one that applies to us here is section 33 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994:

Not exhibiting licence
(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—
(a) he uses, or keeps, on a public road a vehicle in respect of which vehicle excise duty is chargeable, and
(b) there is not fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle in the manner prescribed by regulations made by the Secretary of State a licence for, or in respect of, the vehicle which is for the time being in force.

[edit] Hold the phone...

Road Vehicles (Regulations and Licensing) Act 2002:

Exhibition of vehicle and nil licences
6. - (1) When a vehicle licence or nil licence has been delivered to the Secretary of State with an application for a replacement licence, no licence need be fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle to which the licence relates until the replacement licence is obtained.

So, according to that, you CAN drive without a tax disc, so long as you have applied to the secretary of state (which the DVLA would do on your behalf, one assumes) for a replacement license.

Sounds similar to the old "you don't need car insurance if you give the secretary of state £150k" loophole lol

I will research this a bit more as it contradicts what the DVLA say on their website.

Asa-James
17-04-09, 08:00 PM
i was of the impression that failing to display a tax disc was a fineable offence, but i'm sure i read in the last one of these threads the rules have changed regarding taxing online, you have a certain number of days grace provided you have applied (i.e if you apply on the last day of the month, its not going to appear in the post for at least three days, so the police would be able to see it is taxed...)

scott.parker
17-04-09, 08:11 PM
i was of the impression that failing to display a tax disc was a fineable offence, but i'm sure i read in the last one of these threads the rules have changed regarding taxing online, you have a certain number of days grace provided you have applied (i.e if you apply on the last day of the month, its not going to appear in the post for at least three days, so the police would be able to see it is taxed...)

I'm sure your right on this too, as i rang them up once to query it, and thats what they said, but i don't trust any government body such as DVLA, one persons word on the phone dose not stand up against a police man who just had a crap coffee break! lol

General Baxter
17-04-09, 08:14 PM
wait for the disk

my sister boyfriend got a new car, went to fetch it, taxed it at the post office, got pulled on the way home, as its that slow to update the computers it showed no tax, but he had the disk in the window, just think of what would of happened if it wernt there :(

draper
17-04-09, 08:25 PM
im pissed now anyway, ill have my docs in the week anyway

taxed and ill be at coombe