PDA

View Full Version : help advice needed

xe Dan
16-04-09, 09:03 PM
rite iv got a car that ive owned for 2 years and its up for sale at the moment the problem is that a person came round to have a look and hpi d it and it has come up as a stolen loss and owner ship rests with insurers so what does this mean to me the date of the theft was 03 2005 and its had 2 owners plus me since then so why hasnt it been pulled up yet i have been told that the insurers could have just not up dated there files is this possable help please

Sloth
16-04-09, 09:11 PM
id call the dvla mate, but dont expect anything good. it sounds like a ringer.....

xe Dan
16-04-09, 09:13 PM
thats wot worrys me just wanted wot people think

Spudly
16-04-09, 09:14 PM
Did they show you the official paperwork from the hpi?

Id do a check yourself as they may be trying to pull a fast one and get it from you for pennies bud, surely if ownership rests with the insurers after two years it would certianly have been declared as written off and they wouldve figured something wrong when a written off car keeps getting taxed?

John
16-04-09, 09:15 PM
If it's been stolen ,and paid out on through insurance, expect to lose it when they find out as it's still technically theirs. Hpi it yourself.

Dave.
17-04-09, 12:16 AM
whats the reg dude, ill do soem digging for you :thumb:

Welshy
17-04-09, 12:29 AM
not trying to be nasty but il put a £10er on it being a ringer, i know people that used to do it, thier all in prison now for it... what car is it???

Jack
17-04-09, 08:13 AM
surely if ownership rests with the insurers after two years it would certianly have been declared as written off and they wouldve figured something wrong when a written off car keeps getting taxed?
How very optimistic of you spud lol

Remember though that a HPI check is historical data, so its possible the car was stolen in the past, recovered and the insurance company considered it beyond economical repair (in the case of a Nova, the door lock was fudged or steering column broken). Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if the insurance company had written the car off, they would have taken the V5 from the owner and paid out. If the owner then decided to repair the car at their own cost, they would have it inspected by the DVLA, who would then re-issue a V5 and clear the scrap marker if the car was road safe. I would think that if you have a legit V5 for the car, the DVLA have ballsed up somewhere.

So... Just because the car has previously been marked as stolen/loss, doesn't necessarily mean its a bad car - as said, this is a Nova so nothing more than a broken steering lock would write it off (its not like a £30k Evo that would need to be burnt out to be considered a loss). The issue of insurers owning the car could just be an admin error on the part of the DVLA, but its odd that the car has lasted 4 or so years before anyone (insurance companies, or the DVLA themselves) has picked this up.

As John said though, do a HPI check yourself just to make sure. Its possible the buyer has made a mistake, or is trying to pull a fast one.

I guess the moral of the story is though do a HPI check on any car you buy.

novaxe235
17-04-09, 09:46 AM
Ive had this before on a car years ago the best thing to do is find out which insurer is supposed to own the car give them a call and simply ask if they have any interest in the car.they may let you buy the v5 etc,when it happened to me the car i bought was stolen/ringer i called the police who found the original id of the car and the insurance company who supposedly owned it sold me the v5 and id for next to nothing.which isn't ideal i know but at least you have a legit car and dont lose it and be left with nothing.

stupot89
17-04-09, 01:08 PM
it will more than likey be what razor jack said it was stolen, then recoverd buy the police, insursnce wrote it off, man gets paid out for car, man buys car back off insurance, he fixes it gets what is known as a VIC (vechicle identity check), isued him with a log book then hes sold it. so it should be fine but as the others have said do your own hpi check
hope this helps

xe Dan
17-04-09, 01:19 PM
rite been on phone and it turns out it was stolen then recovered then sold on but the insurance never up dated there file so on there files it was still missing so they have now up dated 5 years after theft and its sill mine thanks for your help