PDA

View Full Version : which head gasket?

mikeoxford
19-01-03, 08:09 PM
hi guys

i had my heart set on what i thought was the right one and now i got mixed opinions and im confused

1.4 engine, with 1.3 head

SO

1.3 wont fit as bores arent big enough?
i THOUGHT IT WAS the 1.4 i needed
then someone else said 1.2 as they are the same but reduces cost

im confused

ne ideaS?

cheers all

need to buy me bits up now so i can get engine done this month :D

Chris LR
19-01-03, 09:16 PM
Why not buy a selection and take back the one(s) you don't use, or sell them on!

Dicko
20-01-03, 12:21 AM
id say get the 1.4 and make sure its a genuine part!!

neiloakley
20-01-03, 08:19 AM
you cas use 1.3 or 1.4. The pistons never come above the top of the block so if the bores are too small it wont matter. The piston wont hit it. But it may reduce gas flow. I'd say 1.4 to be safe.

mikeoxford
20-01-03, 08:48 AM
:lol: well the 1.4 is on order so im glad u said that guys!!

i guess actually 1.4 or 1.3 would be fine for me since im using the 1.3 head the gasket would match that, but ill get the 1.4 just to be on the safe side.

thanks for your help all

hopefully my engine will be on the road to completion soon :(

neiloakley
20-01-03, 08:51 AM
keep us posted!

mikeoxford
20-01-03, 08:58 AM
fingers crossed :roll:

rgv_stu
20-01-03, 11:45 AM
a 1.2 or 1.4

the difference is the thickness

the 1400 is almost twice as thick as a 1.2 one (i have them in front of me now)

i would fit the 1400 myself but if you want to increase compression in the future a 1.2 one will help

neiloakley
20-01-03, 11:48 AM
do you collect gaskets?

mikeoxford
20-01-03, 11:48 AM
are the sizes etc the same though? its JUST the thickness that differs?

mikeoxford
20-01-03, 11:50 AM
cos obviously if itll raise compression a tiny bit itll help.

dont wanna fit it if itll brake in the future or leak though

whats your reason for saying fit the 1.4?

rgv_stu
20-01-03, 12:01 PM
1400 one is safest as you may not want too much compression on a standard engine - pinking etc but as you are running twin fortys it dont really matter.
i have not worked out what difference it will make to compression thats why im saying stick to the 1400 as its safest. u need to know volumes of heads and pistons and stuff to work it out.

from what i can see they are both the same just thickness. the 1.2 might be very slightly larger bore hole (as they are wider bore-only just)

and yes i collect gaskets ;)

mikeoxford
20-01-03, 12:06 PM
:? i can just as easy buy the 1.2 as he 1.4 as they have said they havent ordered either yet.

i dont know what to get

1.2 or 1.4 !?!?!?!?!?

i wanna raise compression i guess, as i got a kent ast2 cam to go in and 4-1 manifold so ill be loosing a bit of torque and compression i assume?

dunno which to get :oops: :roll:

rgv_stu
20-01-03, 12:15 PM
how do you know you arnt raising compression annyway by fitting the 1300 head?
have you measured the volumes of both heads?
also the pistons are different so u have volume changes there aswell

its not just a case of guessing - you have to do it properly to get the most out of it.

i will be fitting my 1200 head on my 1400 at some stage after i have run the bottom end in. so i would be interested if you do measure the head/piston volumes.

they probably aint that much different, but as i have not took any measurements i cant be sure - thats why i say fit the 1400 one

what level do you want to raise compression to?

mikeoxford
20-01-03, 12:47 PM
:? this is where i look :oops: as i have no idea.

i have been advised on several mods that work well with each other, all of which i have bought and paid for, going down routes i have chosen to go rather than other options, and am now in the process of gettin it all together.

the 1.3 will slightly raise compression over the 1.4 head

is compression a good thing? :oops: im guessing it is because it will provide more of an explosion and make the piston shoot of back down faster?

i THINK i would go the 1.2 route, but im scared of going on the first rolling road or 0-60 sprint and having the head gasket go - wouldnt be fun to do it all again.

just go with the 1.4 then unless anyone thinks its safe bet to go 1.2?

rgv_stu
20-01-03, 01:07 PM
cant see you blowing the headgasket by fitting the 1200 gassket

it will raise compresion but by how much i dont know.

dont worry about it.

just dont fit the 1300 gasket as im guessing it will sit inside the chamber - this wont last long.

mikeoxford
20-01-03, 01:10 PM
ill try the 1.2 then see what happens :?

thansk for your help

Aragorn
20-01-03, 06:22 PM
if the compression is too high u could end up buggering the engine

tbh i'd just stick the 1400 gasket on there and be done with it

u dont want summat inside to go after 6 months because teh compression is too high

courtenaynova
21-01-03, 12:22 AM
Mike.....I rekon you should try all the gaskets...Cuz im the on building the engine....and doin all the work so as long as you keep chuckin money my way......I dont mind! :twisted:

Joke.

STAY WITH PROPER PARTS FOR THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikeoxford
21-01-03, 12:34 AM
:| im swayed back down the 1.4 route

think im gonna stick to that now!

mikeoxford
21-01-03, 12:34 AM
just sorting out a date with velos, its coming round to quick and i need to get it done! so unless anyone has any strong arguments, thatll be the one!