PDA

View Full Version : brakes??

crash_ndie
15-04-09, 05:49 PM
am running throttel boddies on my car so i've only 1 vacume draw on the engine, on running gte servo golf rear disk an 2.0l front end disk, but my brakes are crap. peddal is fine an not spongy but under hard braking the engine wants to stall. any ideas?????

also why are corsa brakes so much better than novas any way they can be made to fit the nova inc servo? am trying to get her up an running for santa pod....

Jay
15-04-09, 05:51 PM
Corsa setup can be done. Use the search or look in projects, its been done many times.

chimp007_uk
15-04-09, 05:58 PM
Are you taking the vacuum feed off one port or all 4?

crash_ndie
15-04-09, 06:07 PM
just number 4 cylinder, i thought off taping in a draw off on all 4 cylinders but them boddies are a pain 2 get off an back on found it easyer in past to drop the engine out takes less time lol

mowgli
15-04-09, 07:01 PM
am running throttel boddies on my car so i've only 1 vacume draw on the engine, on running gte servo golf rear disk an 2.0l front end disk, but my brakes are crap. peddal is fine an not spongy but under hard braking the engine wants to stall. any ideas?????

maybe the brakes are quite good, but the mapping is not giving much engine braking effect

a rear disk conversion on a nova usually gives way too much rear braking, so the fronts won't get enough pressure, thus they will feel crap. fitting a 2 cylinder pedal box & binning the servo would enable you to get perfectly balanced braking. but it will cost.

AlexW
15-04-09, 07:06 PM
Corsa master cylinder has a larger inside dia. Its somthing im planning on doing should i keep my nova.

It could be done using just the master cylinder but it means making up new lines and putting in spliters and a rear brake reducer. Lots of pissing around.

But like already said. I was just pointing this out.

crash_ndie
15-04-09, 10:41 PM
maybe the brakes are quite good, but the mapping is not giving much engine braking effect

a rear disk conversion on a nova usually gives way too much rear braking, so the fronts won't get enough pressure, thus they will feel crap. fitting a 2 cylinder pedal box & binning the servo would enable you to get perfectly balanced braking. but it will cost.

thats the thing the rear of the car has no bias valve on it and never locked up at all! am lost with it would like a new set up on it not too fussed about putting new lines in just dont no whats the best opiton is. any info how to make corsa bits fit will be helpful!!!!:confused:

novaguy08
16-04-09, 07:45 AM
there is something in articles about it iirc
your back end might not lock up but the nova MC was never designed to work 4 discs, the wheel cylinders on the OE drums are much smaller and require less fluid, now that you have put the rear discs they require more fluid meaning that there is more pedal travel and less feel. imo sticking with rear drums are better just upgrading to the GSI ones as theyre bigger. Maybe using Corsa C drums, not sure if they will fit but they look bigger and of a much better design

AlexW
16-04-09, 11:59 AM
Gsi drums are no different.

I presume you have discs for show etc.

With a corsa master cylinder it would give better pedal due to the larger ID of the MC, and it would also mean you could put in a bias valve much easyer as its 1 line split into 2 (usualy split at the rear)

If you just changed the MC and keept all the nova servo etc to make it easyer (rather than relocating the battery, welding and cutting to make the whole corsa setup fit).

Hope this helps.

crash_ndie
16-04-09, 01:09 PM
Gsi drums are no different.

I presume you have discs for show etc.

With a corsa master cylinder it would give better pedal due to the larger ID of the MC, and it would also mean you could put in a bias valve much easyer as its 1 line split into 2 (usualy split at the rear)

If you just changed the MC and keept all the nova servo etc to make it easyer (rather than relocating the battery, welding and cutting to make the whole corsa setup fit).

Hope this helps.

this sounds good is there any size diff between the nova servos witch one is the biggest i can fit with out cutting and welding ???

craig green
16-04-09, 01:24 PM
Is the servo OK & has it been plumbed in with a non-return valve?

Symptoms sound as though the servo diaphragm has split which will in effect create a massive air leak for the induction.

crash_ndie
16-04-09, 01:55 PM
valve fitted an defo no leak. theres suction still in the line after the non return valve wen the engines off.

sparkie1401
16-04-09, 02:10 PM
GSI / GTe servos are an inch bigger than a 1200cc for example! 8" diameter as appoesed to 7"

cant the corsa set up be mounted in the same way as the nova?

novaguy08
16-04-09, 02:34 PM
GSI rear drums are bigger....... i know my lil brother works in a motor factors and he asked me if i put the GSI ones on as they are bigger (not 100% on dimentions however i belive GSI's are 224mm and poverty specs are 201mm)