PDA

View Full Version : anyone do conversions?

Phoenixhairart
15-04-09, 10:54 AM
I want to put a faster engine into my car. Is there anyone who does the conversions. I would love to do it myself but dont have the space or ability! is there anyone i can pay to do it?

edited to add ooops was supossed to post this in the mechanical section!

Jack
15-04-09, 11:00 AM
Local forum members may be able to assist you.

Its also a good learning curve if someone helps you do it, I bullied Lee into helping* me do my XE. And again made him do my V6 :D

What were you thinking of by "faster"?

* by "helping", I mean he did all the work whilst I stood around and held spanners.

[edit] Moved.

burgo
15-04-09, 11:06 AM
there is plenty of us is the mids region who know our way around an engine bay. as long as there is tea and biscuits then im sure a mini meet could be arranged to lob a new engine

Phoenixhairart
15-04-09, 11:07 AM
well im not quite sure what engine i would like to put in..but maybe a red top? any advice or suggestions on what would be best and prices i would be looking at for the engines?

MK999
15-04-09, 11:07 AM
Finding someone to help is far the better option, a proper garage will charge a good 4 figures for an engine swap, and like rj says depends on which faster engine lol

1.4/1.6 8v is your easiest option since it goes in on standard mounts and I believe the loom is almost plug and play (still to do mine yet) 1.6 is 100bhp, not sure on 1.4, 80ish i think? £50-150 for engine with loom etc complete costs, mine currently stands me at around 300 when it's in i think

1.6 16v is probably next up, with decent tuning capability, goes on standard mounts but the looms and immobilisers where applicable can be a pain. 105ish as standard but can see 120-130 quite easily £150-250 for engine with loom etc

Then theres the 2.0 16v or turbo, can get mounts made up/bought to drop it in on, then sort the loom, but also need to mod the chassis leg etc, anything bigger/different to that is going to cause headaches. N/A is ~150bhp, turbo 200 but obviously possibility for massive power. around £150-300ish for engine loom etc, and £800-1200 for turbo, but theres the extra costs of mounts etc, plating kit for turbo probably, as well as the fact most XE's that are left around now are quite high mileage.

edit: added prices

Phoenixhairart
15-04-09, 11:11 AM
Finding someone to help is far the better option, a proper garage will charge a good 4 figures for an engine swap, and like rj says depends on which faster engine lol

1.4/1.6 8v is your easiest option since it goes in on standard mounts and I believe the loom is almost plug and play (still to do mine yet) 1.6 is 100bhp, not sure on 1.4, 80ish i think?

1.6 16v is probably next up, with decent tuning capability, goes on standard mounts but the looms and immobilisers where applicable can be a pain. 105ish as standard but can see 120-130 quite easily

Then theres the 2.0 16v or turbo, can get mounts made up/bought to drop it in on, then sort the loom, but also need to mod the chassis leg etc, anything bigger/different to that is going to cause headaches. N/A is ~150bhp, turbo 200 but obviously possibility for massive power
Ok well ive already got a 1.4 in there :-P well i think id like to go with the 2.0 16v non turbo

excuse my ignorance everyone im actually a mk1 mr2 driver normally but have allways loved novas and have a lot to learn!

MK999
15-04-09, 11:17 AM
Assumed 1.2 as they're common as mud and would most definitely leave you wanting a faster engine lol next choice is whether to get a donor car or just engine, guessing from lack of space and ability to do an engine conversion that a shell lying round and knowing which bits to sell is out of the question though.

If I was getting an XE I'd want to hear it running I think, both of mine have just been picked up but i'm going with the theory that a 1.6 8v will run no matter how screwed it is and if it is a nail I can figure it out from how it's running and fix it lol Ask the seller if he can help you remove it/load it etc, or get a local forum member to help with that too :thumb:

16v Nova Kev
15-04-09, 11:17 AM
have a test drive in a nova with a 2.0xe before you do it cos i just drove mine for the first time yesterday i nearly pooed myself lol

Phoenixhairart
15-04-09, 11:22 AM
Assumed 1.2 as they're common as mud and would most definitely leave you wanting a faster engine lol next choice is whether to get a donor car or just engine, guessing from lack of space and ability to do an engine conversion that a shell lying round and knowing which bits to sell is out of the question though.

If I was getting an XE I'd want to hear it running I think, both of mine have just been picked up but i'm going with the theory that a 1.6 8v will run no matter how screwed it is and if it is a nail I can figure it out from how it's running and fix it lol Ask the seller if he can help you remove it/load it etc, or get a local forum member to help with that too :thumb:

well im liking the nova i already have and am thinking just to take the 1.4 out and put the engine in this one.

Phoenixhairart
15-04-09, 11:24 AM
have a test drive in a nova with a 2.0xe before you do it cos i just drove mine for the first time yesterday i nearly pooed myself lol
haha yes i better have a go actually. fastest ive been in was my 300bhp supercharger mr2 which had been uprated. but of course thats totally different handling and drive to what a nova is!

MK999
15-04-09, 11:25 AM
Donor car is for the engine to go in the nova, and 2.0 16v engine is called an XE, C20XE is the engine code. I never mentioned changing cars, don't be ridiculous lol we only buy other cars for the nice engines, then we kill them :cool:

Phoenixhairart
15-04-09, 11:27 AM
Donor car is for the engine to go in the nova, and 2.0 16v engine is called an XE, C20XE is the engine code. I never mentioned changing cars, don't be ridiculous lol we only buy other cars for the nice engines, then we kill them :cool: haha nah i meant im going to use the shell i already have lol. i probably misread it!

im going to plot to steal my bf's calibra engine..thats the same right? and i know it runs well..

16v Nova Kev
15-04-09, 11:33 AM
haha yes i better have a go actually. fastest ive been in was my 300bhp supercharger mr2 which had been uprated. but of course thats totally different handling and drive to what a nova is!
300bhp mr2 would be quick but the last time i went to a track day i watched a corsa with a 2.0xe with no mods beat a evo5 mr340 up the straight :eek:

Phoenixhairart
15-04-09, 11:34 AM
300bhp mr2 would be quick but the last time i went to a track day i watched a corsa with a 2.0xe with no mods beat a evo5 mr340 up the straight :eek:
Nice! i would only ever have novas or mr2's im really picky with cars. oh well and a dodge viper of course :D but my last mr2 kept breaking down so i thought it was time for something a little more reliable!

MK999
15-04-09, 11:40 AM
Calibra engine is indeed a c20xe assuming it's the 16v variant, also one of our favourite cars to kill lol

Jack
15-04-09, 11:44 AM
Yeas, but point to point the Evo will no doubt shonk the Nova. The latter of which will spend most of its time reversing out of the hedges its just flattened in an attempt to keep up with the Evo lol

Aye, kill a Calibra. Nobody likes them anyway :D

Phoenixhairart
15-04-09, 11:44 AM
Calibra engine is indeed a c20xe assuming it's the 16v variant, also one of our favourite cars to kill lol
HAHA yes it is..but he says if i want his engine i have to buy him a better replacement!

napalm_27
15-04-09, 11:45 AM
it may be a ecotech aswell in a 16v calibra

burgo
15-04-09, 11:45 AM
the caibra engine could be an eco-tec?

*edit*
damn u napalm

16v Nova Kev
15-04-09, 11:47 AM
Yeas, but point to point the Evo will no doubt shonk the Nova. The latter of which will spend most of its time reversing out of the hedges its just flattened in an attempt to keep up with the Evo lol

Aye, kill a Calibra. Nobody likes them anyway :D

erm nope 6 laps later mr evo could not get passed mr corsa :cool:

Phoenixhairart
15-04-09, 11:47 AM
the caibra engine could be an eco-tec?

*edit*
damn u napalm
Dont think it is... not sure well heres the probably victim if i can steal the engine , if not then ebay will help im sure

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs009.snc1/2869_93638865125_750860125_2949880_4997922_n.jpg

16v Nova Kev
15-04-09, 11:50 AM
pop the bonnet on the engine it would say ecotec on the rocker cover go look

napalm_27
15-04-09, 11:52 AM
my bets are a ecowreck

Phoenixhairart
15-04-09, 11:52 AM
pop the bonnet on the engine it would say ecotec on the rocker cover go look
i will when he gets here.

Phoenixhairart
15-04-09, 11:53 AM
my bets are a ecowreck

so whats this ecotech all about then? explain someone please :D

16v Nova Kev
15-04-09, 11:53 AM
fingers crossed for you

napalm_27
15-04-09, 11:55 AM
its a lesser more modern engine to the redtop (c20xe)
less bhp but more torque
leak more oil than they can hold
etc etc

Leeboo
15-04-09, 11:57 AM
Go pull the bonnet now its not hard lol

Phoenixhairart
15-04-09, 11:59 AM
Go pull the bonnet now its not hard lol
haha i would if the car was here but hes down in milton keynes at the moment! and dam i cant even txt him im outa credit!

16v Nova Kev
ecotech= 134bhp or their abouts get a bad name cos of engine faults with sensors and would cost more to modify
redtop= 150bhp more reliable easy to mod

but this debate goes on and on lol

Jack
More sensors, reduced emissions to comply with modern regulations. About 15bhp down (135bhp to 150), but most ecotecs will be newer, lower mileage, and less likely to have been ranted to death than a redtop. Ignore the naysayers, there's nowt wrong with an ecotec.

Kev, sorry i thought you said on the strip. In that case, meh, I'd still rather have the evo :D

16v Nova Kev
15-04-09, 12:06 PM
edit i fail

AlexW
16-04-09, 12:14 PM
Remember about the other costs of a 2.0, shafts, mounts etc.

And also the raised tax (although its only £60 more for a year) and the higher insurance.

Plus the welding required, but im sure somone around your area could do that easly enough.

Lee H
16-04-09, 12:29 PM

That would destroy an xe nova, think you would be disappointed with the nova after that to be honest.

Prey
16-04-09, 12:52 PM
Has the calibra has an engine change at some stage?

If not then it has the 2.0 8v engine in (as its an SE model) and it's only the NE version - 115bhp unfortunately.

If its had a swap then scratch that - could have anything in!

tom reid
16-04-09, 10:19 PM
I'm up for helping you get your car faster/more fun to drive.
I'd recommend keeping the 1400, improve the handling, brakes and a decent increase in power along with gearing mods will make your car much more fun to drive.