PDA

View Full Version : smokin radiator+engine management light!

blaiz
19-01-03, 03:15 PM
k, ocassionaly, mostly whilst drivin in the rain, after a fairly harsh run, my radiator starts 2 smoke+smell of burnin, however, my engine isnt over heating+the fan kicks in wen the temperature gauge reaches half way
n e ideas??

also, b4 id dun ne fin 2 the car, very ocassionaly my engine management light wud cum on whilst drivin, but then go off agen after bout 30secs..
after de-catting+ fiting powerflow backbox, it cums on slightly more often+stays on for slightly longer???
n e ideas on this 1 either??

cheerz in advance!

Chris LR
19-01-03, 04:02 PM
I get a small wift of smoke/steam come out when I'm sat in traffic.

It's done it for years, never been a problem

ade
19-01-03, 07:08 PM
check yer hoses - hot water running through hoses will make a small rubbery smell. If v soft get them changed.

Check nothing rubbery toughing engine block and melting.

Ade

whitey
19-01-03, 09:21 PM
LOL, the smoke is most likely just the cold rain touching the hot radiator and steaming!
I bet it don't really happen when you drive but when you come to a stop (quite a quick one) it steams!!

If so, it is just cold water running onto radiator!

As for the smell, i presume like Ade said!

Mine steams very rarely but then again, i think the rubber around my thermostat is dodge and water is constantly flowin!

Whites

Chris LR
19-01-03, 09:24 PM
Well my problem happens in all different weather!

I'm not too fussed about it.

blaiz
20-01-03, 09:18 AM
yer, i fink it mite b steam actualy, c in as i avnt noticed it wen its dry...!
its the actualy radiator that smells still tho.. :s

ne ideas about the engine management light???

cheerz

ade
20-01-03, 03:21 PM
check the plastic radiator guard at the fron tof the car aint fouling on anything hot. It might have broken due to an impact (hard nut wasp or summut) and a bit may be touching the manifold or summut. Worth a look.

It sits in front of the rad, behinf the bumper/grill.

Ade
:?

Manta Mad
20-01-03, 08:48 PM
The manual says that if the management light lights up briefly and then goes out again this is of no significance - just wonder what period of time they mean by briefly! It also says that if a fault occurs, the system switches to emergency running programme - do you notice any difference in performance/running after it happens.