PDA

View Full Version : cars just blown up :(

ZuG
19-01-03, 02:06 PM
was driving down this road and my lights seemed to dim, and engine nearly cut out. i thought it was weird so pulled over and couldnt see anything so carried on driving. Drove for another 5 miles and then boom all this smoke with a bad rubbery smell came pouring out of my engine. Now when i try and start it, the dash lights come on as normal but nothing happens, no engine noises at all. ive looked around the engine and cant find anything wrong at all. Does anybody have any idea what it could be ?
Thanks.

Ben (lurk75)
19-01-03, 03:14 PM
Cam belt snapped?

Chris LR
19-01-03, 04:04 PM
What car is it? What Year?

You could have asked the kind AA man what he thought it was? Unless it's still sat at the side of the road?

ZuG
19-01-03, 05:58 PM
i got towed home, didnt call anyone out. im gettin mechanic down tomorrow to have a look at it. its a 1.4i luxe plus J reg. i guess ill have to see what mechanic thinks but talking to him on the phone, hes not sure what it could be.

jatinder
19-01-03, 06:37 PM
alternator? starter motor?

ZuG
19-01-03, 06:50 PM
i guess but that wouldnt explain the rubbery smoke ? there was ALOT of smoke .

ade
19-01-03, 07:04 PM
check yer radiator hoses! My rad hose (big thick one) burst at a set of lights and TONS of steam poured out of every orrifice! V embarassing - especially as I was at a MAJOR set of lights and at the front of the q! Had to push it off the road! Luckily the garage I use was right next door. I had to pour TONS of cold water in the tank just to keep the engine cool (was advised of it in the past to try and stop head warping from engine heat - engine was off mind).

there was also a massive small of burning rubber! Was there tons of water on the road or did yer temp needle suddenly rocket to full!

Ade

Chris LR
19-01-03, 07:06 PM
Well just run through things.

It's got to involve electrics, It's got to involve heat.
Have you lost any fluids? Are all your components in place and intact?

I'd have a wild guess at a catestrophic failure of your battery charging system!

ZuG
19-01-03, 07:36 PM
this had a very distinct burning rubber smell so i doubt its just a burst rad hose ?
water and oil are still up to normal levels. ive looked over the engine and cant see much.

I charged the battery up and it started to try and turn over when i just put it on ignition. very weird. it just ticked though and the alternater belt just turned but kept jerking. after a few tries it just stoped doing anything and went dead again.

Aragorn
19-01-03, 09:56 PM
have u checked the cam belt???

if not that should be the first port of call

you cant be making things any better trying to start it if it is the cam belt

pop the cover off and have a look, if it aint then hrm

what color was the smoke?could u see where it came from?

Chris LR
19-01-03, 10:00 PM
Well I'd put money on the burnign coming from 1 of 2 things

Cam-belt/valve timing related problem

Or something with a fair few volts has shorted out, burning the insulation.

ZuG
19-01-03, 10:17 PM
its gotta be a short, its the only thing anybody can think of really. all the signs point to short :(. btw the cam belt is fine.

Chris LR
19-01-03, 10:21 PM
How are your HT leads, Dizzy, coil?

ZuG
20-01-03, 09:39 AM
Seem fine, after talking to aragorn in the novaload chat room last night i think its the starter motor or solenoid.