PDA

View Full Version : Gear selector nightmares.. F20 xe nova

dumpycorsa
14-04-09, 02:14 AM
Hi. Ive just refitted my gearbox along with my rebuilt xe. The car was converted by a previous owner. Basically when I bought the car the engine was sat on the piss but running a xe and selecting all the gears no problem. Now I've refitted the engine and box with the correct spacers and mounts so the engine is level etc. I cant get all the gears. Same linkage as before and same box (just rebuilt).I'm assuming its a nova linkage joined to the f20 on the rod that slides into the selector box on top of the gearbox (as this rod has been cut and re welded). Basically I turned the bush around hoping this would cure it but then found that the back of the selector hits the steering rack(I've now turned this back to its original position). The lug on the gear lever has been ground off and I played around with the linkage on the gear stick rod moving it side to side and in and out and I cant seem to get reverse and 2nd and 4th hardly engage. The gear lever hit the side of the tunnel in 5th and 1st is where reverse is:confused: So I cant turn the linkage either way on the gear stick rod. It almost seems like theres alot more distance between all the gears (if that makes sense).I've done searches and they seem to suggest things I've already tried. Any help would be appreciated:thumb:

brainsnova
14-04-09, 02:18 AM
have you tried the good old drill bit to adjust the gear selector linkage.

dumpycorsa
14-04-09, 02:24 AM
I certaily have. As well as holding it roughly where neutral should be whilst my mate clamped the linkage on. It seems like I cant move it either way now as I'll either lose 5th or 1st. Let alone find reverse.

Long sleepless night for me by the looks of itlol

Sloth
14-04-09, 02:51 AM
i get soneone to hold the bit on the box over towards 5th, but still in neutral, then hold the lever centrally. and clamp it. i replyd in ya build thread too matey.

Welsh Dan
14-04-09, 11:19 AM
I'd replace whichever bits have been cut and welded for standard ones, then turn the plastic bush around and use the drillbit method.

dumpycorsa
14-04-09, 11:22 AM
i get soneone to hold the bit on the box over towards 5th, but still in neutral, then hold the lever centrally. and clamp it. i replyd in ya build thread too matey.

Cheers for replying twicelol . I rang chris astley today and he said there shouldn't be any cutting and welding involved in making the nova linkage work. Basically what I think has happened is the previous converters have extended the rod that goes upto the bush (that you spin 180degs) instead of spinning the bush. This is why now when I spin the bush it hits the rack:( .
Hopefully I'll be able to get the standard part off of my "spare" nova and get that to fit. Not sure if this will help with the issues of getting reverse and 5th though:tard: