PDA

View Full Version : Complete nooby with a 2.2 vectra engine for a nova

sparkySX
14-04-09, 12:36 AM
Hi guys, I joined today as PNG seems to be a really good club/forum :thumb:

I’ve wanted a Nova for about 6 years now (Well before I could drive!)

So have decided its my next project.

The list I’ve come up with to do is the following:

-Alloys
-No back seats/carpet
-No plastics
-Buckets
-Harnesses
-Minimal dash as poss
-Roll cage
-Seem weld
-Respray
-Custom exhaust and manifold
-Reseal all underneath car- removing any rust
-Willwoods or similar
-Braided fuel and brake lines
-Paddle clutch
-Lower on coilies

Now my question is that I am able to get a cheap Vectra 2.2 Year 2000 (Facelift)

(Im not sure what engine it is (Poss a Z22se? I think its an ecotec one))

Do these engines fit quite well?

I have no experience in engine transplants but its going to be a big and fun learning curve!

Cheers

Phil

The Simps
14-04-09, 12:45 AM
This is something I've thought about doing to a nova at some point because the intake on the 2.2 engine is on the front so would be cool for TBs/carbs and a ram air effect. The yanks are also getting a lot of power out of these engines!

You may need to fabricate your own front engine mount, I'm not sure. Other consideration might be that I think the 2.2s aren't throttle cable but are electronic. TBs/Carbs would fix that tho ;)

Gearbox wise I think they came with F18s which are hydraulic. You could run that or just fit an f20.

mikey14sr
14-04-09, 09:30 AM
The vectra's gearbox will more likely be an F23, cable change with hydraulic clutch operation, and no speedo output (vecs use the ABS signals for that). Should be able to fit an F20 complete with an early XE flat flywheel and clutch to get rid of that though.

Wiring should be no harder than any other conversion, but if you want to keep the engine standard you'll need to swap over the accelerator pedal and sensor with it being drive-by-wire.

16v Nova Kev
14-04-09, 10:42 AM
i would not touch one of those engines just cos my mate had one (SAAB) engine really. nightmare to work on and was as slow as a week in the jail

Riggy
14-04-09, 11:08 AM
there not a saab engine , there a GM engine from the U.S , really good engines tbf but just not alot of stuff availiable for them here , unlike the us where there are a few 1000 bhp ones knocking round

i have one in my astra and its fine , would think it would be a but of a pig to put in a nova though lol

sparkySX
14-04-09, 02:52 PM
Cheers for your advice everyone!

Being my first engine transplant I don't think it'll be the best idea to try and undertake it with extra complications :)

pul16v
14-04-09, 06:58 PM
they came with a f23 and can only use the f23 or m42 i think as the starter motor is at the front they are cable change and not really worth all the hastle of makeing up 4 new engines mounts in the bay unless its the turbo one your using they are fly by wire so would have to wire the whole car up for that or use standalone .
i agree with riggy there brilliant engines as long as the chain is kept in good condition .if you know how to look ater a engine and are willing to do it right buy one if you like to check engine oil wheneva you can be arsed dont get one simple lol

Stuart
14-04-09, 08:46 PM
there not a saab engine , there a GM engine from the U.S , really good engines tbf but just not alot of stuff availiable for them here , unlike the us where there are a few 1000 bhp ones knocking round

i have one in my astra and its fine , would think it would be a but of a pig to put in a nova though lol

to be pedantic its an English engine :D

Designed by Lotus Engineering.

Its a good lump in the VX, makes it about as fast as a nova with an Xe in it so with that extra turque in a nova would be pretty rapid (the 2.2 has the same ammount of torque as a 200bhp ITB'd XE).