PDA

View Full Version : semi hessitant 1.2

novaguy08
12-04-09, 11:27 PM
hi guys,
my 1.2 (C12NZ) is "semi hessitant" as per title i know i know :wtf:!! but when i set off goes fine, driving along fine, but in 3rd on my H box at about 2.5/3k i bury the throttle and it takes a second or two to actually go, whereas if i feather the throttle in it goes till i touch the floor the power will drop off for about half a second and then pick back up?!? Not done this before and im scratching my head (amonst other things:thumb:) about this, but its been doing it for about a month or so.
Dont know if this is relevent information but its got a 1.6 cam, on a 98ron chip with 99 ron in the tank, (been doing this whilst its had 95ron in there!) there seems to be noisy tappets at about 3k in all gears and its done that ALL the time since i owned her so :confused:
did this before i changed the cambelt and tensioner, but it "popped" through the inlet where the timing was being knocked out a little bit with the shonkey tensioner, been on there about 6 months and 10k miles. its also started popping through the inlet again but only at low revs if i open the throttle right the way up and close it again quick (stamping on it)
No EML when it does this and there is no other mods to speak of.
Any help would be appreciated guys :D

Asa-James
12-04-09, 11:32 PM
noisey tappets at 3k in all gears, sounds like pinking (pre-detonation) i take it its single point? do they use a knock sensor? also with the popping back, could be a combination of overfueling (also leading to pinking) or timing out,

hope its a little to get going on.

/me awaits to be shot down in flames!

burgo
12-04-09, 11:33 PM
timing is screwed. that "noisy tappets" will be det ;) i would investigate your advance mech in your dizzy

burgo
12-04-09, 11:34 PM
noisey tappets at 3k in all gears, sounds like pinking (pre-detonation) i take it its single point? do they use a knock sensor? also with the popping back, could be a combination of overfueling (also leading to pinking) or timing out,

hope its a little to get going on.

/me awaits to be shot down in flames!have a green blob

novaguy08
13-04-09, 11:44 AM
she pinkin(smeg!)? yes a single point, but im not sure about knock sensor, i doubt it though, the timing was spot on when i put the new belt on 6 months ago and i dont think that it would have jumped a tooth, i was thinking about the overfueling but when it went though its MOT last time the HC level was pretty much 0 iirc there also no smoke coming out the back and she runs fine at all other times. however ill look into it would need to think at what will cause overfueling now, have to get some new injector seals for a start, and look at the tank vent to make sure its not stuck open (which i think it is!)

novaguy08
13-04-09, 04:42 PM
right been looking about today trying to source the problem and i relized that a hose that was floating about the engine bay a couple of months ago (turned out to be carbon canister vacuum pipe) which leads to the throttle body vacuum node plate, it leads to the one with the red straw hanging out below howevr there is no vacuum coming from it? :confused: any ideas?http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/P130409_1624.jpg

Nova_Tek
13-04-09, 05:06 PM
do they use a knock sensor?

I doubt it has a knock sensor if he's using and ocatne plug.

Check the timing and the dizzy as said. Throw some injoctor cleaner and check the usual ingition shizzle.

burgo
13-04-09, 07:37 PM
cam timing has nothing to do with the ignition timing. just cos the cam is timed properly doesnt mean the ignition timing is. need to get yourself a timing light and check it. i would block off the bit on the TB aswell

AlexW
13-04-09, 08:12 PM
Its SPI, flash out the codes. Search topbuzz.

novaguy08
13-04-09, 08:25 PM
no codes, no EML, dizzy is electrically timed so no adjustment, Cam timing is good lines up same as it did when i put it in 6 months ago........
That bit on the TB your on about blocking off is supposed to be a vacuum node IE sucking a vacuum like the one on the right, its where the Carbon canister vacuum pipe goes, what my question is, why is there no vacuum?

AlexW
13-04-09, 08:35 PM
There problery is a slight vaccum, maybe only at certain times. Just block it.

And when you say no codes have you checked it then? came up with 12 6times?

novaguy08
13-04-09, 08:38 PM
no not checked, need a 2nd person as diag plug under bonnet, im saying no codes as the EML not on. there NO vacuum at all coming from it, open taps or anything not blocking it as it is parts of the vacuum for the fueling system, which is why im concerned there is no vacuum from it that i can see anywho

AlexW
13-04-09, 08:42 PM
i wouldnt worry about it tbh.

And to flash the codes, just have the ign off, bridge the pins and then go inside and turn on the ign. Easy

novaguy08
13-04-09, 09:09 PM
righto, fiver bet ya ten though, there will be no codes, mainly as there is no EML
ill try it later on tomorrow, still need to figure out why its oer fueling

AlexW
13-04-09, 11:54 PM
Always worth checking...............

burgo
14-04-09, 01:03 AM
no codes, no EML, dizzy is electrically timed so no adjustment, Cam timing is good lines up same as it did when i put it in 6 months ago........
That bit on the TB your on about blocking off is supposed to be a vacuum node IE sucking a vacuum like the one on the right, its where the Carbon canister vacuum pipe goes, what my question is, why is there no vacuum?if its a dizzy you can twist it to adjust it

novaguy08
14-04-09, 07:58 AM
tried to do it before, wont move. anyways even if i do then the ECU is just going to reset it soon as i start it

novaguy08
14-04-09, 08:13 AM
right whilst i was under the car looking for tank vent (which i cant see for the life of me so could someone tell me where it is please & thank you :D) there is a strong smell of petrol coming from tank area and i remebered that it was pointed out to me whilst i was getting tracking done a while ago. now if someone can tell me where the tank vent valve is i can see if that is stuck open, which i think it is. after that il flash up codes and find out why there is no vacuum going to the carbon canister

AlexW
14-04-09, 12:56 PM
There is no valve on these? Just a pipe coming from the top of the tank to the carbon canistor.

Smell of fuel is problery just where the pipes are old now.

novaguy08
20-04-09, 09:06 AM
righto, fiver bet ya ten though, there will be no codes, mainly as there is no EML
ill try it later on tomorrow, still need to figure out why its oer fueling

AW06 you owe me a tenner, flashed up codes today got nothing but 12's which is bubkiss!!
its still doing it and now its worse after running outa petrol a couple days ago, im going to try to change the fuel filter to see if that helps!

novaguy08
20-04-09, 11:57 AM
Changed the fuel filter and what appears to be black sand came pouring out the filter, LOADS of it!! i can tell the filter is old, had to cut the fuel lines to get the sodding thing out!!! that and its an original GM one, i wouldnt go as far to say original but its ancient! still, seems to have done it at the moment, loadsa power right thru the motion! (touch wood!!)

novaguy08
22-04-09, 04:19 PM
Right, whilst i was giving the throttle body a clean yesterday (i do it regularly) and i noticed that the spray patterne was ****, well to be fair it was ok at idle but when i opened the throttle it was pants, rather then being diffused finely it had some quite big dropletts, is this the injector knackered or just the seals?

jimbob-mcgrew
22-04-09, 04:25 PM
probably slightly blocked jet, try sliding a pin up into it and give it a jiggle

novaguy08
22-04-09, 05:56 PM
i looked at the jets a while ago (whilst farting about thinking the an inector from a 1.4 would be better) and its spoteless? also bloody small jets (there are 3) i dont think a pin will fit but ill try get hold of some new rubber washers and give that a go.

novaguy08
22-04-09, 09:25 PM
anyone with another suggestion just in case jimbob and me havent hit the nail on the head?

novaguy08
03-05-09, 03:57 PM
Still happening!! tested the lambda sensor today whilst using my dads industrial grade multimeter and just after starting it read 15ohms, after is come off the choke it read between 12.5 & 13 ohms, any one know if this is right?

Im starting to turn blue over this as i can figure out for the life of me why i got power loss at 2-3000rpm @ full pelt! HELP ME OUT GUYS!!
Oh its wasnt the injector pattern i pulled that out before i went away gave it a clean out put all back together