PDA

View Full Version : Wiring

ST-eater
12-04-09, 02:46 PM
Can anyone tell me which loom i need for my c20xe? Im on my second loom now and neither fit fully... Im using motronic 2.5 ecu, and need the following connections on the loom

Coil - 4pins
Dizzy - 3pins
MAF - 6 Pins
lamba - 3 round pins
TPS - 3 pins
vacuum Sensor on manifold for carbon thingy - 2pins
crank sensor - 3pins

And then finally

ICV 3pins and knock sensor 2 pins (although i have a mini loom which connects the two and leaves me with one lager 5 pin connector).

The engine is apparently an astra 2.0 16v red top...

Urgent help needed lol!

Ive got an early loom which doesnt wire up lamba i have fitted.... and then another loom that has most of the bits, but things like the TPS have 3 pins on the car, and 6 pins on the loom, so wont connect.... Was told there are only 3 looms for these engines, but it doesnt seem like it...

Pistol Pete
12-04-09, 03:56 PM
AFAIK, there is only 2 looms. Engines with a dizzy (early spec) and ones with a dis pac (later ones).

Double check you connections/sensors?

ST-eater
12-04-09, 03:59 PM
Quad checked them all lol. the only thing i can think of is that there are a few sensors mixed up on my engine. I have been told there are at least 3 looms... early xe without lamba, xe with lamba, and then xe with coilpack... i have the wiring for the first two, and some bits from each fit, but neither are a full on fit for the engine

ck
12-04-09, 04:27 PM
there are laods of different looms for the c20xe but any will work providing it is from the correct engine (i.e coil pack or dizzy)

the astra GSI loom will be for coil pack and wil have an extra couple of connectors. 1 by the TB for the Traction control TB ect.

your either doing something wrong or you are missing things

ST-eater
12-04-09, 04:35 PM
must be missing things, i dont mind building the two looms into one going off the pins on the ecu, but cant seem to find any decent diagrams as the haynes is cr*p. Would rather a plug and play loom. Ive got the engine number so going to find out from vaux on tue exactly what engine and year i have... I know its a dizzy engine im trying to wire up, but having dificulties with the lamba and cps sensors, its a nightmare.

ST-eater
12-04-09, 04:51 PM
Ive had another look and the only loom that is 90% connected is the early loom. Im missing connections for the lamba and the fuel tank vent valve (which vacuum wise i had blocked off anyway).

Could i run this set up without the lamba? or would i have to earth out pin 20 on the ECU?

If i can get around the lamba, and the vent valve, then im sorted... well i am if it works with the ecu 2.5

ck
12-04-09, 04:55 PM
should not matter at all. all dizzy looms should work on all dizzy engines same with coil pack looms/engines..

as a run down on the dizzy loom there should be the following (dont think ive forgotten anything)

ecu connector
connectors to connect to dash loom
fuel pump relay
octane plug
air flow meter
throttle position sensor
3 earths
fuel tank vent valve
ignition amp
distributor
lambda
5 pin plug (for knock and iscv)
crank sensor

think that should be everything on the dizzy loom...

you got a pic of your looms roughly showing the connectors?

can you list exactly what you have so far for the engine?

ck
12-04-09, 04:58 PM
Ive had another look and the only loom that is 90% connected is the early loom. Im missing connections for the lamba and the fuel tank vent valve (which vacuum wise i had blocked off anyway).

Could i run this set up without the lamba? or would i have to earth out pin 20 on the ECU?

If i can get around the lamba, and the vent valve, then im sorted... well i am if it works with the ecu 2.5

if your loom defo has no lambda connector then its an early mk2 astra gte loom. they all should have the fuel tank vent valve connector. this comes out of the plastic piece of the loom on the right hand side (goes under fuel rail)

if it has no lambda connector then you can run it like that, the loom may automaticaly earthed pin20 or you may have to do that yourself.

ST-eater
12-04-09, 05:05 PM
im taking pics now, although i cant find the double pin vent valve connection anywhere.. il upload pics in the next 5 mins

ST-eater
12-04-09, 05:17 PM
The pictures get bigger if you click them.. :)

This is the loom that fits the best, but like i say i cant find the vent valve connection on it or the lamba connection....
Other than them two everything else fits....
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/6412/image338.th.jpg (http://img118.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image338.jpg)

This is the other loom,,, has the lamba sensor and the vent valve connection, but a few other things like tps dont fit ...
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/7554/image339.th.jpg (http://img118.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image339.jpg)

There are lamba connection and vent connections on the second loom...

ck
12-04-09, 05:30 PM
second pic looks like its a loom from an astra gsi c20xe with traction control.

1st pic does look like its an early astra gte loom. connector looks correct for a gte.. as it was so early (20xe) with no lambda it is possible it does not have a fuel tank vent valve as this was for emmisions

ST-eater
12-04-09, 05:33 PM
second pic looks like its a loom from an astra gsi c20xe with traction control.

1st pic does look like its an early astra gte loom. connector looks correct for a gte.. as it was so early (20xe) with no lambda it is possible it does not have a fuel tank vent valve as this was for emmisions

So could i use the first loom? and if so would i need to earth pin 20?

ck
12-04-09, 05:42 PM
yeah i would use the 1st loom. i wouldnt worry about the lambda for the time being, it will run fine without it. if it brings up the engine management light then do a diagnostics and if its showing a code for the lambda then yes pin 20 will need earthing.

if nothing comes up then i guess the early GTE loom will earth pin 20 actually through the loom itself..

ST-eater
12-04-09, 05:51 PM
yeah i would use the 1st loom. i wouldnt worry about the lambda for the time being, it will run fine without it. if it brings up the engine management light then do a diagnostics and if its showing a code for the lambda then yes pin 20 will need earthing.

if nothing comes up then i guess the early GTE loom will earth pin 20 actually through the loom itself..

nice one, il give it a go tomorrow, cheers :D

ST-eater
13-04-09, 01:28 PM
Im busy fitting the loom now, and just had a thought about if the motronic 2.5 ecu will be fine, or do i need to get an earlier 1.5 version to match the early loom?

Sloth
13-04-09, 01:58 PM
the xe only ran 2.5 on the dizzy mate. 1.5 is 2.0 8v stuff. btw my very early (nov 87) xe had no lambda and no takn vent valve. it auto earths pin 20.

ST-eater
13-04-09, 05:30 PM
the xe only ran 2.5 on the dizzy mate. 1.5 is 2.0 8v stuff. btw my very early (nov 87) xe had no lambda and no takn vent valve. it auto earths pin 20.

Great stuff, cheers :D

ST-eater
13-04-09, 05:49 PM
All the wiring is in loom wise, still yet to dig out the haynes manual to re-wire up the alternator and starter....

Can anyone give me a shout as to which way the fan is wired, and what colour is the + and - as im needing to hard wire a MGZR front mounted fan, and need to get it wired the correct way round so it pushes the air through the rad...

Also can anyone let me know what these two connections i have left on the early loom are for and where they go?

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1696/image345.jpg
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/198/image346g.jpg

Finally, is there anyway i can find out how the plugs are fitted.. as in firing order, and where they fit on the dist cap... as the cap doesnt seem to be numbered or anything :(