PDA

View Full Version : head questions

novaguy08
12-04-09, 02:32 AM
ok i been reading the "tuning your SPI 8V engine" article and i have a question, if i were to get myself a 1.2 head would i be able to fit the MPI system (from an SRI) to it? or would i need a 1.4 head thats just been skimmed loads??
I know that the 1.4 inlet has cathedral ports and according to the guide so does the carb head, but does anyone know if the studs would line up ok?

Any help would be great guys

Ta :D

MK999
12-04-09, 02:38 AM
even if it does fit, you'll have to remap the MPI system for the smaller engine, which would mean standalone management, by which time you're far better off putting the bigger engine in imo

Stuart
12-04-09, 07:28 AM
ok i been reading the "tuning your SPI 8V engine" article and i have a question, if i were to get myself a 1.2 head would i be able to fit the MPI system (from an SRI) to it? or would i need a 1.4 head thats just been skimmed loads??
I know that the 1.4 inlet has cathedral ports and according to the guide so does the carb head, but does anyone know if the studs would line up ok?

Any help would be great guys

Ta :D

no the 1.4 inlet DOSENT have cathedral shape ports. There are square (spi/carb) and Round (mpi) in the 1400 engines.

basically all (small block 8V) inlet manifolds bolt upto all small block 8v heads (same goes for the exhaust manifolds and exhaust ports). But you can have uber port mis matching etc.

MPI'ing a 1.2 would be ace, if a little pointless lol. You would need the mpi crank trigger wheel + sensor, any other sensors from it inc lambda (if it had one) then hope you can get the fuelling right, but chances are it wont be as you cnat turn the fuel pressure down too far otherwise fuel atomisation is compromised

Nobby
12-04-09, 12:37 PM
In other words mate dont bother save up for a proper engine! :D

novaguy08
12-04-09, 02:53 PM
I plan to get another engine, but maybe getting a C14SE engine i always wanted to do it as ive never seen it done before! i was hoping to do it without skimming the 1.4 head loads.
i know its pretty pointless but i like a gigle :D