PDA

View Full Version : What makes 1 C20XE Nova quicker than another?

Adam*D
11-04-09, 08:02 PM
I had a little race with a mate on a private road, both have XE novas. Standing start and mine easily pulled away from his:D Both cars are fitted with C20XE's and F20's mine is a coscast dizzy engine, his is a coscast DIS engine. Both have just had a full service and are, what we think, standard engines. What makes mine far quicker? Obviously he thinks mine is modded some how but I could just be a better driverlol lol lol

sulphur
11-04-09, 08:06 PM
Weight? Age/condition of engine/box? Mileage? Suspension setups?

Spudly
11-04-09, 08:07 PM
He weighs more than you?

Ive always noticed this, some vaux engines are unreal quick for what they are and others are just, well dogmess!

Not sure if its because one has been thrashed all its life or driven by a granny its just one of those things!

nova_saloon
11-04-09, 08:09 PM
tyres to

Tommydewe
11-04-09, 08:10 PM
its also the driver, he could of had rubish gear changes etc..

Nick J
11-04-09, 08:12 PM
Putting Dar in the drivers seat! lol

Nobby
11-04-09, 08:28 PM
i have thought this in my belmont estate, i had a play with a corsa xe and wiped the floor with him now mines a big estate and his a little corsa??

peester
11-04-09, 08:52 PM
tyres to

ye

burgo
11-04-09, 09:13 PM
everything makes a difference

Adam*D
11-04-09, 09:30 PM
He has 15" Toyos I have 14" ditchfinders. He has ebay coilovers I have Bilstiens and XE springs. His engine is on around 100k miles I'm not sure what mine is on!

He'll just have to face facts, mine is better than his :lol:

Stuart
11-04-09, 09:34 PM
you forgot the "its a goodun" factor lmao

greg1.4
11-04-09, 09:54 PM
we found this with my brothers 2.0 8v cavalier sri..

it was unreal for a standard engine..went like stink in the cav! would beat any other sri, beat a gsi, beat an astra gsi..

it had been thrashed all its days..

i now have the engine sitting ready to be dropped in my nova..

valvercorsa
11-04-09, 10:15 PM
yeah some engine where just built better than others lol

not every engine can be the same, you could have 2 same engines on a dyno and 1 will always make more power than the other.

its a strange thing but its like people at the end of the day we all made same but come out in different speeds lol

mayhem
12-04-09, 02:38 AM
weight, driver etc. etc.

also, the guy i went to for my dyno and remapp told me that the dis engines run with a very resticted ecu management.
stock astra c20xe dis, he put the ignition timing back about 10 degrees :O:O while most dizzy engines get about 6.5 degrees.

krobinson
12-04-09, 09:18 AM
You two should book into a rolling road and see what you get!

Southie
12-04-09, 09:26 AM
Even different fuel can make one run better than the other.

Lee H
12-04-09, 09:49 AM
Should go up the 1/4 and see what times it does.

Mine is a dis engine and is by far the quickest xe I've had, it's done 150k too and runs quicker than my old xe on twin 45's.

Adam*D
12-04-09, 11:57 AM
One of the other lads video'd the "event" on his mobile, I'll try and get it off him and post it up :)

Nobby
12-04-09, 12:03 PM
[quote=Lee H]

Mine is a dis engine and is by far the quickest xe I've had, quote]

same as me buddy compared to my old dizzy 1

Jonlem
12-04-09, 12:20 PM
weight, driver etc. etc.

also, the guy i went to for my dyno and remapp told me that the dis engines run with a very resticted ecu management.
stock astra c20xe dis, he put the ignition timing back about 10 degrees :O:O while most dizzy engines get about 6.5 degrees.

lol

Yet both engines made within a few h/p of each other from new :p

My DIS engine went very well, low 14 sec pass engine and had only covered 43k from new at the time.

Do you know for sure yours is standard, I've owned a few and when stripped its turned out they had cams and others were chipped. Octane plug in the wrong way will reduce power mildly as will doing that on the wrong fuel.

LOADS of different reasons

Rich
12-04-09, 05:15 PM
My old dizzy xe nova went like stink, stripped out had big bore manifold and 2 1/4" straight through system to match. Used to go very well, i put a dispak xe into a corsa sri (with interior/standard manifold) and didnt really think much of it!

Put a dizzy engine into an astra gte with a set of mild pipe cams, that used to go very well! made 169bhp on the rollers when the new owner had it tested

I prefer dizzy engines for this reason but then my dispak engine had done about 130k

novasrikev
13-04-09, 12:45 PM
it depends what car your engine came out of coz all the ex's are different power look in the back of total vauxhall dude

Rich
13-04-09, 05:55 PM
The engines are all pretty much the same, the power differences are with or without a cat.

Lee
13-04-09, 09:20 PM
Other factors can be thrown in, especially with engine conversions. You'll be surprised how many people bung an engine in and dont bother to check if they're getting full throttle.

Jacks doner car is a good example. Mr 'Whack' thought his V6 creation was quick, but im sure it would have been quicker if it was getting more than 3/4 throttle with the pedal on the floor lol

Mike
13-04-09, 09:22 PM
Is your mate a fat fcuker?