PDA

View Full Version : Alternative paint to 2k

ade
10-04-09, 10:54 PM
As many know I have 2 Novas - well ones sort of a Puntova but anyway...

I'll be respraying both in the near future but have decided I dont really want to use 2pak paint. Various reasons one being I like life...

So - can anyone recommend an alternative painting system?

What have you used, what do you recommend? and so on...

Serious answers please - I dont ewant a slanging match about why not use 2pak - I may well do but at the moment I'm looking at alternative options...

Ade

Graeme
10-04-09, 11:04 PM
I thought the only other options were celly or water based

Pistol Pete
10-04-09, 11:41 PM
Emulsion.....

nova_saloon
11-04-09, 12:30 AM
poster :P

Dave.
11-04-09, 01:00 AM
what did rexy use on his when he painted his? wasnt that water based? looked amazing imo

muzzy
11-04-09, 01:04 AM
Have a word with paints4u they were very helpfull and willing to give me advice when i had a few questions for them. They will be able to advise you on the best plan of attack and whether you are just best going for 2-pack or if cellulose & waterbased are a half decent option.

From experience and im not a painter, 2-pack was the easiest to use but obviously there are the possible effects from using it and you really need all the filtering equipment and then there is all the other issues that come with it. I suppose it is down to how competant a painter you are but as said if nobody on here gives you the answer you are looking for its worth giving them a shout.

dougie_boi
11-04-09, 03:35 AM
you would probably need to go 2pk at least for the laquar as you could use water based base coat but the laquar top coat needs to be 2k as they havent designed a water based laquar as to my knowledge im sure all laquars and solid colours which are a direct gloss are all 2k based mate

Rexy
11-04-09, 10:27 AM
ada, to be honesty matey there are only waterbourn and solvant based paints which in the long term are the best.

The clearcoat is and always will be 2k "2 part" (HS clear and activator)

You can use a paint which is synthetic, this drys with a shine but jesus this is aweful to paint with its mainly used on commercial stuff and sticks to farking anything eyelids, arms, hair face etc. Celly is absolute ****e if you want a remotly good job, get with the times celly users is naff and always has been :P

So no, your a bit stuck. They have released a load of HS clears over the last few years with lower solvant and other nasty chemicals, even waterbased paints has a small amount of nasty chemicals in them.

One option is 1k stuff, again its not as tough as the 2k option, but the nasty content is reduced. Personally, i would want the best coverage and deepest shine and for it to last. So, Waterbourne base coat with a HS clear FTW Just add a dab of thinners to the HS as it can be like porrige at times.

Just re-read the original post.

Now ade, in total honesty mate get yourself a decent mask, if your only using it for one maybe two days you will be fine and dandy, as said every paint has a nasty in it. If your planning on painting it yourself your better off buying a good extraction setup of renting one along with a mask you will be fine get a spary suit as well Just a cheapo one will suffice and plenty of gloves lol :D I used to paint vans without a mask and im still here bit naughty, but it did take its toll now i wont paint anything unless i have a mask.