PDA

View Full Version : paint bobbling and lacure

carrie_girl_wonder
09-04-09, 09:11 AM
I'm sure to many of you 'expert's' this is a really simple question but any suggestions on the best way to handle this..??

When I was polishing my car I noticed several areas where my paint has bubbled,only small but any semi non expensive idea on how to fix this?

Also what would be better,

the lacure on both my wing mirror's is chipping off,would it be better and easier to lightly sand the old lacure and re do it or to repaint and lacure? :confused:

Any suggestions would be super

Thanks!

bmw156
09-04-09, 09:14 AM
bubbling is not good lol. usually means rust of some sort, sand it back and get it all flat again, then skim with filler if needed. then paint. if its rotten then best to cut it out and weld it up in an ideal world.

and flaky laquer, is it big areas?? if its small you might be abl to get away with just gently sanding back those affected areas and re laquering them, if big area then best to do the whole lot

carrie_girl_wonder
09-04-09, 10:28 AM
Yeah thanks. With the sanding the bubbling, would it stand out that it had been done? Yeah there is a bit of rust not bad though! my body works in pretty good condition,quite proud :thumb:

I don't think I will do it myself,already tried with some silver hamerite under the bonnet,whichi s fine but external don't want to risk ruining it,what would be a good price do you think?considering it's only surface rust ?

bmw156
09-04-09, 10:32 AM
im unsure tbh, i dont know prices depends how bad it is. i would sand it back. and see how bad it is (post up pics) and then go from there, get people opinions on here. i had a small bit of bubbling, smaller then a 5p piece and just sanded it back to metal and primed.

and will you be able to tell. depends if you get a good colour match lol

scott.parker
09-04-09, 10:38 AM
When you say bubbled? do you mean lots of small one's say all over the roof etc??

If so that's micro blisters (when the panel has been sprayed moisture was sat on the primer/base paint) and it's now rising up though the paint, only way to stop that is to get it sanded back to bear metal and re-sprayed in body shop with a oven to stop the moisture.

As for the mirrors, you should be able to try it your self with some lacquer from halfords, just flat them back and give it a go!

Scott

carrie_girl_wonder
09-04-09, 10:39 AM
with the wing mirrors the laquer is just the top so I guess if I lightly sand the rest off I could sort that! Shame the weather's meant to be poo this bank holiday weekend :(

carrie_girl_wonder
09-04-09, 10:50 AM
That must be it,a while ago when I got the car I had to fix the arches are the guy before had mucked them up ( to be polite) but there are some patches that are just rust as well but not bad! I will have a look this weekend if the weather perks up,and will be able to get a good look as changing the shocks. Thanks for the advise guys and I think I'll give the wing mirrors ago i'm not too bad with a paint brush! :)

When you say bubbled? do you mean lots of small one's say all over the roof etc??

If so that's micro blisters (when the panel has been sprayed moisture was sat on the primer/base paint) and it's now rising up though the paint, only way to stop that is to get it sanded back to bear metal and re-sprayed in body shop with a oven to stop the moisture.

As for the mirrors, you should be able to try it your self with some lacquer from halfords, just flat them back and give it a go!

Scott

MattBrown
09-04-09, 11:00 AM
I think I'll give the wing mirrors ago i'm not too bad with a paint brush! :)

With tins, or better a gun:thumb:

Not a brush, these leave streaks, marks, and all sorts of problems!:thumb:

carrie_girl_wonder
09-04-09, 11:11 AM
haha thanks for that! OOO one more question...if I want to stick my Nova badge thing back on what's the best glue or method of doing this? I'm going to have a busy weekend!

bmw156
09-04-09, 11:12 AM
haha thanks for that! OOO one more question...if I want to stick my Nova badge thing back on what's the best glue or method of doing this? I'm going to have a busy weekend!

go to halfords, you can buy the badge tape for it, its quite thick compared to normal tape and is foam like.

carrie_girl_wonder
09-04-09, 11:18 AM
Awesome! thanks very much,my mate said I should just super glue it but I didn't want to ruin paintwork!:thumb:

go to halfords, you can buy the badge tape for it, its quite thick compared to normal tape and is foam like.

bmw156
09-04-09, 11:20 AM
Awesome! thanks very much,my mate said I should just super glue it but I didn't want to ruin paintwork!:thumb:

nah dont super glue lol if ya wanna remove them in the future, then you can just pull them off. using the tape i described

carrie_girl_wonder
09-04-09, 11:23 AM
That's what I thought,glad I held on and didn't do it!