PDA

View Full Version : Sky Tv Question!

John
08-04-09, 08:27 PM
Anyone good with sky outhere? currently i have an old pace sky box, and have the family package every month,
I wanna upgrade to sky+ but don't want to pay the £100 Lol, if i buy a sky plus box on it's own, is it just simply plug in and use?
If so what are the best make boxes to but second hand?

If not, what the cheapest way to get it new? there's no offers on atm, i rung and checked last nite Lol!

I'm currently trying to get them to do me a good deal on the line, line rental, broadband and the tv package.

Any advice/help greatly appreciated.:thumb:

Adam
08-04-09, 08:32 PM
No mate you cant just use a Sky + box, you would have to ring up and ask them to swap it over.
But, you could buy a + box, swap it with your box, ring up and say the old box is fooked, and see if they can swap it over to sky plus.

When my digibox died i just got another for a tenner(normal box), but it wouldn't work when i connected it up, had to ring Sky and give them the box serial/id etc for them to match it to the viewing card.

Pistol Pete
08-04-09, 08:37 PM
So your currently with Sky, and they wanted £100 pounds to upgrade to Sky+? Hmmm, bargain with them FTW. Mine is up for renewal later this month, i shall be playing Sky off against virgin to see what deal i can get!

TBH, i thought you could get a box and plug it in! Dont see why they will need to swap it. Swap what? You still use the same dish, cables...

EDIT: just re-read Adams post. The viewing card..i thought was the same!

John
08-04-09, 08:40 PM
Yeah robbing bar stewards, tried the good old blagging trick, woman was having none of it lol.
Iirc i'm not in a cable area (virgin is cable yeah?) How'd you check something like that?

Riggy
08-04-09, 08:43 PM
you can check if you are is cabled by using the postcode search on virgins website

mine is :thumb:

Adam
08-04-09, 08:44 PM
Go on the VirginMedia website and bang your postcode/phone number in

Most places round here aint Cable :(

AlexW
08-04-09, 08:48 PM
If you bought the box and added the 2nd cable (providing your dish has 2 or more outlets) then all you would have to do is call sky and get them to send you a new card, ofc the bill will double lol

I did this as when i did it, sky wanted about £200 for fitting it all, fitted it all my self for the cost of a bit of cable and the box which i bought from ebay for £70.

Never had a problem apart from the TV guide being UBER slow

Benn
08-04-09, 09:23 PM
I did this, rung them up and tryed to play virgin off. They had none of it.

You'll need a new lmb thing and you'll need the twin core wiring.

I looked thru ebay for it, wortks out cheaper, but if you do it that way they wont a 60 admin fee, do it when them with their box and stuff and they only charge 30admin fee...

Sky+ rules tho..

steve rdf
09-04-09, 07:15 AM
the other way to do it is cancel your sky totally then get your partner to sign up making you a new customer and you get the sky+ so much cheaper that is how we got round it.

Welsh Dan
09-04-09, 08:34 AM
Aren't they offering Sky+HD boxes for £50 at the moment?

Pistol Pete
09-04-09, 10:41 AM
I think they are, yes. But, IMO, what is the point? Not that many HD channels to warrant it TBH. And if you havent got a HD telly or watch football (alot of the sports channels off HD service) not worth it.

Benn
09-04-09, 06:24 PM
And its a tenner a month more for about 6 channels.