PDA

View Full Version : Uniroyal Rainsports ?

vaughanmc
08-04-09, 03:47 PM
Anyone used these before ?

Let me know what there like in dry/wet conditions please

If there not any good...let me know a tyre that is

Cheers, Vaughan :thumb:

tom_beverley
08-04-09, 03:54 PM
Fappin excellent tyre, got them all round on my Fabia. They replaced Goodyear F1's back in January and are IMHO much better, especially in the wet. Road noise is good, grip is excellent and they seem to be wearing very well too.

For the first time (EVER!) I know I'll be putting the same brand on again.

MK999
08-04-09, 03:54 PM
IIRC this is what a lot of the trackday drivers use in the wet, but they get absolutely shagged rather quickly in the dry? Stuart always recommends Kumho KU31's, which seem to get very good reviews especially at the price, bit of a diamond of the rough of budget tyres it seems, most likely what I'll be trying if/when i need to replace tyres :)

edit: Guess I'm thinking of a different tyre if toms are wearing well then :confused:

mayhem
08-04-09, 03:59 PM
there great. i have them in 195-45-14 on my XE nova, and the do there job very well. the wear fast, but thats part of the game imo.

~~joycey~~
08-04-09, 04:00 PM
These tyres are excellent in the wet :)

novaxe235
08-04-09, 04:42 PM
As said above grip really well but wear very quickly.

mayhem
08-04-09, 04:59 PM
As said above grip really well but wear very quickly.

grip and slow wear isnt a known combination to tyre manufactorers :P

16v Nova Kev
08-04-09, 05:22 PM
like the first set of yokos i bought they were like toffee on a hot day lol

amggsi
08-04-09, 05:39 PM
I have them on my Softstars, seem to be a good tyre, and a lot softer on the road than the Avons I have on my Speedlines.

As for wear and wet grip I have no idea though, they've only done about 500 miles if even, and it's never out in the wet!!!

ck
08-04-09, 05:48 PM
good tyres in all conditions i thought, just there way to expensive for the little length of time they last... too much on the soft side for dry conditions..

Paul
08-04-09, 08:55 PM
rather use ditchfinders.

Eagle F1s FTW

Riggy
08-04-09, 08:57 PM
always rated these myself , excellent on my nova in the wet and dry , was only a 1.6 at the time though

Adam
08-04-09, 08:57 PM
WTF Paul

Ive NEVER heard anyone put Rainsports down.... lol

Awesome tyres imo, id use them again but they are expensive as fook.

Paul
08-04-09, 09:01 PM
pah, dont listen to these northerner's theyre clueless.

Theyre ****, i had them and absoloutely hated them.

**** in the dry, not great in the rain, wear down fast and seem to offer poor grip, lot of roadnoise, big sidewall, look crap, expensive. They are everything i dont like about a tyre, id rather have proxes than rainsport's, and i think proxes are poo aswell.

However thats just my opinion.

Riggy
08-04-09, 09:04 PM
lol , you must have got some ****ed up set lol ,

now the worst tyre ever is the a539's

Paul
08-04-09, 09:07 PM
a539s were awesome!

mayhem
08-04-09, 09:46 PM
a539 is also great!
but in what size did you guys have them?? i paid about 200 euro for a set of 4 in 195-45-14.

tom_beverley
09-04-09, 09:43 AM
LMAO at the northerners dig lol

F1's are good but IMO the Rainsports are better, on a par in dry conditions but they come into their own in the wet, which lets face it, is quite often. The compound rating is also the same as the F1's - 230 IIRC - and are wearing really well on mine for the amount of miles I've done.

On my Fabia vRS I've got 205/45/16's stretched a little on 8" rims and they are excellent, eliminate a lot of spinning when I boot it in second and third in both dry and wet conditions.

Mine were around £65ea fitted which I didn't think was bad?

I don't rate Toyo's at all either, never tried A539's.

Edit - it is Rainsports 2's were on about right?

mikey14sr
09-04-09, 09:45 AM
In my experience A539's are fine in the dry (though they don't last long at all) but show them a bit of dampness and you might aswell have ditchfinders fitted!

vaughanmc
09-04-09, 10:09 AM
Aye it's Uniroyal Rainsport 2's I have - Only got 2 atm but hoping to get another 2 so I have a full car set

I remember Adam saying these were good tyres but just wanted to see other peoples views on them

They should be ideal in Scotland as well as it ALWAYS rains lol

Cheers :D

Leeboo
09-04-09, 10:12 AM
**** in the dry, not great in the rain, wear down fast and seem to offer poor grip, lot of roadnoise, big sidewall, look crap, expensive. They are everything i dont like about a tyre, id rather have proxes than rainsport's, and i think proxes are poo aswell.

However thats just my opinion.

In my opinion, they are the opposite to what you have described. And how can the sidewall look crap. Similar to any other tyre.

I drove a corsa with 195/45 15 rainsports in the rain and she wouldn't step out in the wet AT ALL, even when trying. They last a decent enough amount of time considering their performance.

vaughanmc
09-04-09, 10:17 AM
In my opinion, they are the opposite to what you have described. And how can the sidewall look crap. Similar to any other tyre.

I drove a corsa with 195/45 15 rainsports in the rain and she wouldn't step out in the wet AT ALL, even when trying. They last a decent enough amount of time considering their performance.

Cheers fella, that's set my mind on them!

The old Nova should handle well with these on it...even though its only an old 1200i lol

craig green
09-04-09, 01:56 PM
I bought 4 new rainsports last month.

Not used them yet but going by the rep they have from a couple of the track boys I thought I'd give them a go. I had the old ones & didnt like them esecially but I have the new tread pattern this time. Having witnessed Olly H giving it large at Castle Combe a year ago in very wet & cold conditions, he seemed to be pushing very hard in light of the conditions.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/NovaGSi-WIP_pics/CombeEUROFEST031.jpg

I blagged my local tyre place to do a set of 4, 195/45/15"s for £200 fitted & delivered back to my house.

ant_tay
09-04-09, 03:02 PM
what are peoples views on the yoko paradas then

Jack
09-04-09, 03:29 PM
Falken FK452 FTW.

Soft as ****e but they quite happily keep my GT4 glued to the road :D

craig green
09-04-09, 04:01 PM

Lethal in the wet.

Its another thread altogether tbh.

joeSRI
09-04-09, 04:04 PM
I've had uniroyals they were great in the wet. A mate of mine worked for lexus and got me a set of 4 continental contisportContacts for £200 for 195/45/16.
Now i have no money so its budget tyres atm. :(

I have heard some good reviews on Nokian Tyres.

craig green
09-04-09, 05:09 PM
Tyres are such a personal thing, and then you can take into account the way different cars handle differently. I wouldnt expect a tyre that is good on a 205 GTi to be as good on a Nova, or likewise a BMW 3 series.

I say its best to take advice from people you trust that run a similar/same car or experiment yourself & decide for yourself.

I always say the grippiest tyre wont be the best tyre.

trackdaynova
09-04-09, 05:21 PM
Having witnessed Olly H giving it large at Castle Combe a year ago in very wet & cold conditions, he seemed to be pushing very hard in light of the conditions.Thanks Craig, as above really - I cannot recommend them enough, suprised a fair few passengers at the rate of knots heading into corners despite the track being submerged...

And despite the video making the weather look not too bad... here it is anyway lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZXsq1ErEww&feature=channel_page :D

Riggy
09-04-09, 08:03 PM
mine were rainsport 1's , would love some more :thumb:

chris gsi
09-04-09, 08:21 PM
i bought a set of ransport2s a few months back not used them yet after seeing olly use them i thought i would give them a go, i did want goodyear f1s but could not find any as i was told they dont do them any more and when i found rainsports for £120 for 4 195/50/15 i could not leave them

MyNovaSr
09-04-09, 08:32 PM
I have 2 on the front of the nova, great in the dry and great in the wet.

?Handling improved 2 fold when I got them!

ck
10-04-09, 04:23 AM

Lethal in the wet.

Its another thread altogether tbh.

i would have to say the opposite lol. they were great on my C20LET'd mk3 astra in the wet and dry!!

stupot89
11-04-09, 10:03 AM
iv e got rainsport 2's on speedlines and there fine girp well in the wet and dry and not alot of road noise :thumb:

vaughanmc
11-04-09, 12:21 PM
iv e got rainsport 2's on speedlines and there fine girp well in the wet and dry and not alot of road noise :thumb:

Perfect mate, cheers :)

stupot89
11-04-09, 09:18 PM
ive just been out in it again today over skipton keighley area and it stuck like **** to a blanket on the twisty top roads:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: