PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Boot Spoiler

paragon_of_virtue
17-01-03, 12:28 AM
Hi, me and my dad are in the middle of painting my nova 1.3sr. We've already completed the front and rear bumpers, painting them a nice black. Now the rubber spoiler thing on the boot need painting, but primer just seemed to flake off. Any ideas on how to deal with this. Cheers

burgessovsalford
17-01-03, 11:16 AM
I spray painted mine with normal primer & paint without it flaking? You must spray it in warm conditionstho. preferably in a warm garage, not outside in the cold.

another option is to go to your local paint shop & tell them what your trying to paint & they should know the right primer for it...

neiloakley
17-01-03, 01:44 PM
i pretended it was fibreglass and used etch primer followed by appropriate primer for your colour, and then the top coat. Mine has lasted fine without a crack.

mikeoxford
17-01-03, 05:26 PM
id say it had some crap on it - wash it down with sommat im not sure what, maybe a chemical but i dont wanna guess what one and hav you melt the spoiler ;)

on metal, parafin works well, once dried off gives a good pinting surface

Fester
17-01-03, 11:17 PM
the easiest option would be to get a GTE item which is painted from the factory as opposed to soft vinyl type then sort it from there

neiloakley
20-01-03, 08:08 AM
use ordinary cellulose thinners.

tom_beverley
20-01-03, 05:37 PM
i had the same job done on mine and u need to get a special primer so that the paint flexes with the rubber then just paint it normally, easy, job done

neiloakley
21-01-03, 08:17 AM
etch primer

Anton
21-01-03, 09:17 AM
just make sure you get all the chemicals off like back to black etc

ade
21-01-03, 02:10 PM
you need a special flexi addative to mix with the paint - I think its acrylic based - you can get it from most good car paint shops - look up spray painters in yellow pages for nearest in yer area. Most can mix up paint in cans for you if your using them

Plastic primer is no good coz its rubberised material and it will just crack

Ade

locky
21-01-03, 05:04 PM
No1 has mentioned a good key! light rub b4 u spray it, with sand paper, clean it off, and then spray ur etch, iv had no probs at all!