PDA

View Full Version : Changing cam belt

twin40s
07-04-09, 12:24 PM
is there a tool you can get for sohc to hold it in position.

twin40s
07-04-09, 12:25 PM
also is there a tool you can get to hold the pulley so you can tighten the cam bolt.

Leeboo
07-04-09, 06:38 PM
You shouldn't need a tool?

And what do you mean by tightening cam bolt? Cam pulley bolt? I only take off the bottom alt pulley, then you can slip off the old belt and slip on new one.

novaguy08
07-04-09, 06:49 PM
yeah no need to remove the cam pully, just the tensioner, which should be replaced at the same time, need a small drill bit to hold it back whilst you put it back on.
Im guessing to tighten the belt you mean move the water pump, yes there is a tool but i got no idea how to get hold of one, i tried from Vauxhall a while back when i did mine but the guy couldnt find it.

mikey14sr
07-04-09, 07:27 PM
Draper, laser and sykes-pickavant(sp) all make or at least used to the tool for the pump, should be able to get get one from a decent parts shop (hellfrauds might even be able to order one for you), but I just use a hammer and a screwdriver to knock them round (only works on pumps that have been fitted less than 5 minutes cause after that you have to smash them to pieces).

No need for a locking tool on an ohc other than the drill bit in the tensioner, the cam pulley shouldn't move unless knocked.

Leeboo
07-04-09, 07:39 PM
It might not even need tensioned. Slip the belt on and check tension according to haynes manual.

novaguy08
07-04-09, 08:05 PM
yeah thats what i did, didnt touch the pump, mainly as i knew that it wasn't going anywhere in one peice!! When i got a mate of mine to look at it after changing cam he tried to move it with smeggin great hammer & chisel (didnt damage it) but its obviously been in there for the last 16 odd years! still, its an easy easy job that you shouldnt have any need for worry, just make sure that the timing marks line up! simples :D

twin40s
07-04-09, 08:52 PM
Sorry for the confusion was thinking of two jobs at the same time. When changing the head gasket it requires u to remove the black cam belt casing to do this you have to remove the pulley, when putting it back on you have to tighten it to the right torque. There must be a tool to hold the pulley while you tighten it.

feel like a plank now sorry lol

AlexW
07-04-09, 09:02 PM
I just usualy get it in the right place (pin on the back), and then tighten it untill the cam starts to move, then move it back if you can, slip the belt on, tention it, put the car in gear and tighten the top pully.

Thats my way to do it anyways,.

Stuart
07-04-09, 09:10 PM
the camshaft has a hex flat setup on it so you can put an AFS on there and tighten the cam pulley bolt

twin40s
07-04-09, 09:14 PM
sorry whats an afs and is the hex flat setup on the dissy end?

Stuart
07-04-09, 09:19 PM
"any f**king size" (adjustable)

the hex flats will be on the cam shaft. with the cam cover off you can see it

twin40s
07-04-09, 09:38 PM
sh^t i know what you mean now excellent thanks mate.

novaguy08
08-04-09, 06:47 AM
sorry but do you really need to remove the cam pulley?? there are 2 torx head bolts holding the cam cover on which you can remove thru the cam pully. being an 8valver the cam will come off the head no bother, the torx bolts are the only things holdingthe cover to the carrier no need
simples :D