PDA

View Full Version : Nova Suspension!

ewee870
07-04-09, 12:29 AM
Bin giving the old nova a bit of pain the last few days! (Mk1 GTE with a xe in it) The only problem is, like all 2.0lt novas, it dosnt like going round corners!! Whats the best suspension set up i can use or what i can add on to improve it a bit more?????

Cle
07-04-09, 12:29 AM
Coilovers FTW

dj_wudgey
07-04-09, 01:03 AM
i agree if i was building a big block nova id go for coilovers!!

Jack
07-04-09, 07:39 AM
I've got Koni (dampening adjustable) struts with PVD XE weight springs on my saloon, and that actually went round corners Ok. Well, as good as the cheapo tyres would allow lol

One thing I did note is that trying to tiptoe round corners it was a bit twitchy, but if you shut your eyes (Ok well maybe not lol), put the hammer down and dragged the car round a corner it would actually go round rather well.

Will F
07-04-09, 08:45 AM
What have you got on there currently?
Likle RJ says, get some decent tyres and the correct poundage springs on reasonable shocks and it will improve it 100%

ewee870
08-04-09, 11:28 PM
What have you got on there currently?
Likle RJ says, get some decent tyres and the correct poundage springs on reasonable shocks and it will improve it 100%

Iv got a spax front and rear shocks with 60mm springs on it! Just think it handles like a pig!lol

The Simps
08-04-09, 11:31 PM
is it bouncy?

what size wheels & tyres and brand?

what characteristics is it you dont like?

Southie
08-04-09, 11:35 PM
Become a member and get discount on gaz coilovers :D or I had fk coilovers on mine and were pretty good. NOT the budget set though. You get what you pay for mind.

Otherwise it could be that your springs are not built for the xe lump so are soft as hell, a bit like driving on blamange lol

The Simps
08-04-09, 11:40 PM
also depends on what he's setting the car up for - b roads/track/high street?

Southie
08-04-09, 11:48 PM
also depends on what he's setting the car up for - b roads/track/high street?
Sadly we are playing the guessing game with the lack of info!

Jack
09-04-09, 01:05 PM
Iv got a spax front and rear shocks with 60mm springs on it! Just think it handles like a pig!lol
And you're surprised because....?

craig green
09-04-09, 01:06 PM
Iv got a spax front and rear shocks with 60mm springs on it!

BINGO. :roll:

My advice is get some decent dampers & appropriate weight springs on it, then poly bush the tie bar brkts & plate the TCA's with poly bushes then maybe buy some lowering blocks for the tie bar brkts also. Anything else will begin to cost much more & will only make negligable gains.

[edit] worn components such as suspension top mounts or bushes will make the car feel especially vague & handle poorly.