PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Question...

Will_Nova1.2i
16-01-03, 02:46 PM
Hi,

I've been offered some new 40mil lowering springs for my 1.2i Nova, I'm new to this sort of thing so need a bit of help, he told me I might have to get some new shocks?? Is this true, I thought you only had to get some if you lowered it 60mil? :?

Cheers

Will

neiloakley
16-01-03, 02:56 PM
it depends why he siad it. If yours are crap and leaking then you will need new shocks but if they are in good nick you wont need to. I lowered my first nova 40 with standard shocks and it was fine. No need to cnahge them

Will_Nova1.2i
16-01-03, 03:15 PM
No mate, he hasn't even looked at mine, he just said thats what I would have to do. I'm pretty sure mine are ok, might get them checked out soon though before I put the springs on. :wink:

Thanks

Will

neiloakley
16-01-03, 03:17 PM
does your car seem like a demented blamonge when driving it? If not, then your shocks are prob fine. Just bung the springs on!

Ste_Nova
16-01-03, 06:02 PM
how long ago did it pass the mot?

Jim
16-01-03, 06:45 PM
When I first got my Nova I bought some -30mm springs. After a while the standard shocks needed to be replaced. This might have been down to a number of factors, age of the shocks being one of those factors. At the end of the day if you can afford to get some new uprated shocks it might be worth it as they will help with the ride and work better with the new springs. If your shocks are in good condition then see how it goes for a few months, you'll soon be able to tell if your shocks aren't up to the task.

Jim

Will_Nova1.2i
16-01-03, 09:08 PM
Well, first of all it does feel a bit dodgey when turning too quick and going round corners too fast, sometimes feels so easy to roll it. But I will put that down to it not being lowered.

Secondley, it passed its MOT in June and I think sum little c*nt of a RoyBacer had been ragging it around before me because the tyres look shagged and the handbrake is muffed :evil:

I don't really want to spend too much but, I've heard about sports shocks which is alot stiffer and handles much better? Is this info right? If so how much roughly do you think I would have to spend to get some new shocks and get them fitted by a garage?

Cheers :D

Will

mikeoxford
16-01-03, 10:46 PM
i had -60 ultra low kit for a gte - so god knows how much that dropped a stanadrda base suspesnion on my old car

worked fine until i got my new car

i think i had newish shockers on my motor though as suspension was very stiff almost as if it had uprated ones on.

did some mileage in that car ill tell ya and it was fine for me.

try it...........?