PDA

View Full Version : gearstick block chop for hidden 5th

jimbob-mcgrew
06-04-09, 11:04 PM
just noticed ive actually got a 5 speed on my 1.2 :)
anyone know where to make the insicion on the plastic block for optimum 5th engage and whats he best way of going about doing it ?
after trying with a standalone hacksaw blade, with minimal effect, i left a metal coathanger in hot embers for a while and slapped it on in a bid to burn/slice it off, but after 3 ish mm of plastic it hit something hard within, is there metal underneath the plastic ?
any pics of the chop to help me out ?
cheers :thumb:

Steve
06-04-09, 11:11 PM
Just cut off as much as you can, did mine with a junior hacksaw.

Do you mean you've put a 5 speed in there? as normally 4 speed novas still have the picture of a 5 speed on the casing.

jimbob-mcgrew
06-04-09, 11:23 PM
yeh :( ive just noticed that in other older threads, might not be in that case, bloody stupid for putting it there if u ask me but hey.
i need to check this 36mm nut whatever wherever it is to clarify that.
bloody hope so, need the economy, caining petrol on the motorway everyday.

Steve
06-04-09, 11:31 PM
I think its just to save costs at the factory, so they dont have to produce to types of gearbox casings. A 1.2 shouldnt be using any petrol on a run, i'd take to a garage and get the carb adjusted back to factory settings. Made mine go better as well as improved economy.

jimbob-mcgrew
06-04-09, 11:37 PM
my cars running ever so slightly lean to save juice.
i earn a slaves wage so its emptying my wallet, especially today as i woke up 20 mins before work so my usual 50 mph run was 110.

edit : i need mpi & a 5 speed, thats what i need.

AlexW
06-04-09, 11:53 PM
And what makes it even more confusing, the selector turret Does NOT work on a 5speed. (I tried it)

mikey14sr
07-04-09, 11:44 AM
Jim, if you've got the big blanking plug on the end of the box then it won't have a fifth ratio in it.