PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - upgraded driveshafts, cv's for smallblock nova

dstevenson
06-04-09, 05:43 PM
Hi there, need some help from the tech guru's on here.

We have a 1.2 8v nova used in rallying here in N. Ireland. The series is for youngsters from 12 years old and is seriously good competition. Modifications, etc. are limited to keep competition fair (as much as that is possible in motorsport, lol).

We are doing very well atm but are breaking the short drives (pass side CV joints) due to the abuse we give them. Whilst we can easily change these on the day it ruins a stage time and any chance of a good finish on that day.

I have seen a lot of articles on here about upgrading drives for the big block engines, etc. but was wondering what options there are to upgrade the drives on a standard F10, standard hubs, etc. Don't want to go full motorsport route as that would be too expensive.

Was wondering if you can use the larger outer cv with a hub machined to fit the standard bearing and which inner cv, shaft, outer cv, hub, etc. from what car/model/year would work??

Any help/ideas appreciated.

David

mowgli
06-04-09, 06:03 PM
which end of the shaft are you wrecking??

dstevenson
08-04-09, 12:00 AM
which end of the shaft are you wrecking??

The outer (wheel end) cv joint on the passenger side - short shaft.

David

mowgli
08-04-09, 12:08 AM
well, std outer cv joints can handle 300+ hp so I suggest putting some sort of steering lock stops on the rack, to limit the angle of turn, & get the driver to learn to make the back end move about more. tight turns & sticking power down will wreck outer cv joints really fast.

dstevenson
08-04-09, 12:37 AM
well, std outer cv joints can handle 300+ hp so I suggest putting some sort of steering lock stops on the rack, to limit the angle of turn, & get the driver to learn to make the back end move about more. tight turns & sticking power down will wreck outer cv joints really fast.

Thanks for the reply. Hard to believe that 1200 cv joints could take that much power, very good news. The rack stops sound like an idea, I guess they are small spacers that fit behind the steering arms that limit how much they can move into the rack body?? We are not allowed a quick rack under the class rules. Some of the stages are very tight and twisty. We have some more camber than standard and I noticed the tyres were just rubbing the gearbox and anti-roll bar/tie rod so confirms the amount of lock being used.

Well worth a try I think.