PDA

View Full Version : engine oil and gearbox oil?

tony k
06-04-09, 01:23 PM
hi peeps whats the best oil to use on a rebuilt engine c20let my mate said mineral oil but what mix tho,also whats th best oil to use on a f28 box with a quaife diff,also i know it sounds stupid wheres the plug to fill the f28 up,having a blonde moment lol

Pistol Pete
06-04-09, 02:48 PM
See here... http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98719&highlight=engine+oils

tony k
07-04-09, 08:24 AM
See here... http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98719&highlight=engine+oils

thanks for that pete 58 but it still dont say whats the best really,plus i need oil for the gearbox f28 with quaife diff:thumb:

tony k
07-04-09, 01:15 PM
anyone?

craig green
07-04-09, 02:04 PM
Oil is a funny subject. Too thin a grade (ie Mobil 1 or similar) will find its way out of the gaskets & seals & be leaky aswell as potentially smoke from the turbo. So I prefer a cheaper 10w40 grade & replace it more often (every 3000 miles).
You may feel differently if a rebuild motor stands you at a couple grand but IMO expensive oil is money down the drain (after 3000 miles). Likewise any rebuild will still only be carried out to ageing GM tolerances, if you are lucky.

tony k
07-04-09, 06:44 PM
Oil is a funny subject. Too thin a grade (ie Mobil 1 or similar) will find its way out of the gaskets & seals & be leaky aswell as potentially smoke from the turbo. So I prefer a cheaper 10w40 grade & replace it more often (every 3000 miles).
You may feel differently if a rebuild motor stands you at a couple grand but IMO expensive oil is money down the drain (after 3000 miles). Likewise any rebuild will still only be carried out to ageing GM tolerances, if you are lucky.

cheers craig my mates said use mineral oil on the first start up as the engine has never run yet,could i just use the grade you said any named brands at all :thumb:

Stuart
07-04-09, 06:51 PM
is the quaife an ATB? (I know quaife make the odd plate diff you see)
if its an ATB then simply use what ever haynes/GM specify for the box.

for running the engine in (the first 50-100 miles) I'd use a mineral 10/40 then progress to a 10/40 semi and finally to the intended running oil in fully synth depending on use/opertating temps

tony k
07-04-09, 07:03 PM
thanks stuart i dont know what diff is in there will try find out tho,i reckon it is a ATB one i hope lol