PDA

View Full Version : 8v cam rocker cover / BREATHER

mikeoxford
16-01-03, 12:13 PM
now then - heres an idea!

with the 2ltr custom plug cover thing lately, ive had an idea thatll settle 2 of my problems

on the 1.6 8v engine i think, the breather pipe from engine comes up into the top of the cam housing through the cam rocker cover,

so - my idea is this

:idea: can i modify a 1.6 cam cover, and bring my breather pipe up to it, so the oil goes back in, and also put a T in to vent the air out - and also get it chromed or engraved or whatever (ent decided yet)

another thing that led me this way was dan :( cheers MATE :evil: LOL :wink: cos he sent me a pic of his engine with the pipe being reutrned to the top and also a mini k&n on a T piece..........

is this possible?

:?: will the rocker cover from 1.6 fit a 1.3 cam housing?
:?: could i connect my breather pipe to it?

MC
16-01-03, 01:48 PM
Yep, that should work. Would solve alot of problems. try keeping the vent at the top of the return.

MC

Ste_Nova
16-01-03, 02:50 PM
nahh just vent it to the floor :twisted:

carltoncrazy
16-01-03, 08:46 PM
why wuld ya wanna put dirty oil thro the engine?
agree with ste,give it to the road

mikeoxford
16-01-03, 10:41 PM
why does the GTE 1.6 engine do this as standard then?

if there is a problem why would vauxhall design it as standard this way???

also

:?: will the rocker cover physically fit?

:?: and there probably wont be a GTE i want in a scrappy sop what other engines can i knick parts off!?

carltoncrazy
16-01-03, 11:34 PM
DOTN BE A COCKY ****
maybe they clean it first,

mikeoxford
17-01-03, 12:09 AM
heres a good point:

eh that dont make sense, the oil pump fires it back up anyway to lubricate rest of engine lmfao

speakin to another novaloader on msn tonight - he has a good point :lol:

mikeoxford
17-01-03, 12:50 AM
http://www2.novaload.net/files/breeny/crankcasevent.jpg

i thought maybe this with a breather filter on a T piece would look good near the top...........

stil need to know if 1.6 cover will fit 1.3 assembly

Ste_Nova
17-01-03, 11:18 AM
yes it will cause i have a 1.6i rocker cover on my 1.4.... and i use the pipe off it to vent to the road :twisted: it's designed like that to reduce imisions http://www2.novaload.net/files/kev/steshouse/15engine.jpg

Anton
17-01-03, 12:28 PM
wow check out all them doors :D

mikeoxford
17-01-03, 05:07 PM
what is pipe number one on that EPC diagram? connects to elbow 11?

that isnt on a cam cover i have seen unless its blocked up :?

CP
17-01-03, 10:10 PM
DOTN BE A c**k c**t
maybe they clean it first,

Just in case anyone is wondering, this abusive comment has lead to the individual being banned from the site.

mikeoxford
18-01-03, 12:57 AM
:o hope he dont blame me :roll:

oh well :| it was inevitable i ges?

mowgli
18-01-03, 05:34 PM
Hi, do you have a specific problem with your engine, or is it a cosmetic thing???
I ask cos many years ago, I had a 1300 lump that the breather filter blocked up on, causing the cam seal to leak. I got a new one and the engine ran perfectly.
Also, I thought that the whole idea of the breather being connected to the intake was that if the oil blew out, it didn't get spread all over your car, and any car following, and I think there is something in the MOT rules governing it.

CHEERS

Ste_Nova
18-01-03, 06:02 PM
wow check out all them doors :D

io no wanking over my doors :?

Ste_Nova
18-01-03, 06:04 PM
what is pipe number one on that EPC diagram? connects to elbow 11

it goes to the inlet

Ste_Nova
18-01-03, 06:06 PM
and I think there is something in the MOT rules governing it.

CHEERS

crank case can't be vented to air.... but mine all ways passes with 2 open to air breathers

mowgli
18-01-03, 06:18 PM
Tis a pity that I don't live in your part of the world, cos if you have a modded car round here they start asking for engineers reports.

One garage mechanic actually 'Test Drove' for 35 miles and then told all of his mates about my car. They then tried to hound my missus into letting them have a test drive, cos they had heard it was for sale, and one tried to steal it.

MC
20-01-03, 08:02 AM
AS Ste said, your'e not supposed to, but you'll find that most decent mechanics will turn a blind eye.

Mowgli,

When you really thrash a modified 1.6 (1.4's not effected the same), you get alot of oil pushed up out through this breather. You don't want this going back in the air intake, and sometimes its so severe that the whole engine bay, underside of the car, brakes etc get covered, so the best alternative is to run it back into the top of the engine, and vent else-where.

Mike,

Feed the oil in through 11, and vent off through 10. There should be baffles and mesh between these.

MC

mikeoxford
20-01-03, 08:45 AM
cheers for your help all esp MC

i am getting a catch tank AND the encessary parts of a 1.6 that way when i do the last of my engine work this week i can decide what to do and then scrap or sell or play with the rest