PDA

View Full Version : Signing On...

chimp007_uk
05-04-09, 09:11 PM
Never thought I'd do this, but needs must...

I was made redundant over 2weeks ago, and struggling fr any kind a job :(

When I was out of work for 6months after Uni I never signed on, and had a letter through from the Tax Man saying I owed several hundred pounds in NI... I don;t want to have that happen again this time! :mad:

How does one go about signing on? Just go down the Job Centre with my P45? Is there a time limit after being made redundant?

Cheers Guys! Wish me luck lol

Stuart
05-04-09, 09:13 PM
why should you have had an N/I bill at all? if you arent working then you dont owe it.

did you get a payout? if its more than 6K then you cant sign on for fecking ages from what I can make out (otherwise I;d have been a cheeky cnut and signed on 2 months ago lol)

djbrowney
05-04-09, 09:14 PM
i hope you didnt pay the ni bill you only need 16 full years to get the full state pension which will probaly be fook all, it a voluantry controbution lol

just go down and they will give you a phone number to ring then the will book you in for an appoitment mate

if you took voluntray reduancey you cant sign on for 7 weeks

Welshy
05-04-09, 09:14 PM
you have to ring them and book an appointment mate

mowgli
05-04-09, 09:15 PM
you will go there, get treated like scum, then get bombarded with letters telling you why you aren't entitled to any money. well thats what happened when I signed on, then returned three hours later to tell them i'd found a job.

seriously, just get out there & try and find any form of work, it is far better on a cv than the dole

dave.gsi
05-04-09, 09:16 PM
for the hassle you go through, its probably not worth the effort for 50quid a week - unless you really have absolutely no money whatsoever :(

chimp007_uk
05-04-09, 09:16 PM
Nice £6k payout... rub it in my face Stu :( I got a good will gesture of one months pay which was dick all!

It was because I didn't tell them I wasn't working! I haven't paid it off yet, and they said it will affect my state pension :(

Whats the procedure of signing on?

djbrowney
05-04-09, 09:18 PM
Nice £6k payout... rub it in my face Stu :( I got a good will gesture of one months pay which was dick all!

It was because I didn't tell them I wasn't working! I haven't paid it off yet, and they said it will affect my state pension :(

Whats the procedure of signing on?

you dont have to pay it tell them to whistle lol

Stuart
05-04-09, 09:18 PM

erm no I said if you got £6K (or more)..... I wouldnt have taken VR for £6K.
and seems you have done better than most of the remaining employees at Visteon lmao

chimp007_uk
05-04-09, 09:21 PM
for the hassle you go through, its probably not worth the effort for 50quid a week - unless you really have absolutely no money whatsoever :(

Its gettign that way... Hence selling off everything I can find lol

Cheers for the advice all! I refused to sign on last time but, this time we're in a recession, I have a too specific job background... No temp agencies will give me office work because there are others with experience lol

So yes, I know the dole isn't great and I'm not a scrounger but needs must! I'll only end up giving the money to my parents anyway!

I was made redundant it wasn't a choice :(:cry:

chimp007_uk
05-04-09, 09:21 PM
erm no I said if you got £6K (or more)..... I wouldnt have taken VR for £6K.
and seems you have done better than most of the remaining employees at Visteon lmao

I wasn't at Visteon?!?!?! :confused:

kelbelle
05-04-09, 09:24 PM
I wouldnt call people on the dole scroungers as long a they are actively looking for a job. After all thats what its there for! To hold people together when they are struggling!

chimp007_uk
05-04-09, 09:26 PM
I wouldnt call people on the dole scroungers as long a they are actively looking for a job. After all thats what its there for! To hold people together when they are struggling!

I didn't mean it like that...

I know people who sign on and then work cash in hand... Thats not fair on others who are actually struggling and seeking work!

Stuart
05-04-09, 09:27 PM
I wasn't at Visteon?!?!?! :confused:

it was an example... your months pay was more than they got/will be getting now. Thats probably my fault for cleaning their bank out but hey, like I care.

If you do for example goto supermarkets for shelf stacking work, REMOVE your degree, automotive work and anything good from your CV as they wont employ you.

brainsnova
05-04-09, 09:28 PM
i ve never signed on but my mate says you now have to go to job centre meeting or something to do with how to get a job like a college class. **** signing on the time you waste going every week only benefit is your national insurance is payed.

chimp007_uk
05-04-09, 09:30 PM
it was an example... your months pay was more than they got/will be getting now. Thats probably my fault for cleaning their bank out but hey, like I care.

If you do for example goto supermarkets for shelf stacking work, REMOVE your degree, automotive work and anything good from your CV as they wont employ you.

I get you... Cheers for the advice as well ;) lol

djbrowney
05-04-09, 09:31 PM
i ve never signed on but my mate says you now have to go to job centre meeting or something to do with how to get a job like a college class. **** signing on the time you waste going every week only benefit is your national insurance is payed.

would only mean your mates have been signing on for more than 6 months lol tha start sending you to classes an stuff lol

chimp007_uk
05-04-09, 09:31 PM

National Insurance is payed for and £50 a week. In my current position thats better than nothing!

And, I was actually thinking about going to uni again but in 3 years I'd owe more than I'd earn in 2 once the recession is over. Would go to college to learn auto electrics or welding etc

djbrowney
05-04-09, 09:32 PM
just a note aswell mate to make good use on the job center they will put you through your cscs card for the construction industry for free, you might not ever use it but i might get you out of a muddle one day

brainsnova
05-04-09, 09:33 PM
my N.I is £360 behind lol

Stuart
05-04-09, 09:33 PM
hows your turbo knowledge?
http://www.jobsite.co.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetails.pl?selection=931696440&src=search

Stuart
05-04-09, 09:34 PM
more
http://www.jobsite.co.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetails.pl?selection=931710913&src=search

chimp007_uk
05-04-09, 09:38 PM
Cheers Stu, I don't want to put myself down, but I think they're too above me... 5years expereince etc and I have no turbochager experience other what I studied at uni about thermal dynamics etc

kelbelle
05-04-09, 09:38 PM
I didn't mean it like that...

I know people who sign on and then work cash in hand... Thats not fair on others who are actually struggling and seeking work!

No I just meant it as dont beat yourself up about applying for a system that is there to help you :thumb:

Stuart
05-04-09, 09:40 PM
Cheers Stu, I don't want to put myself down, but I think they're too above me... 5years expereince etc and I have no turbochager experience other what I studied at uni about thermal dynamics etc

ime, have a stab at the agent and see if there are any junior roles. Sometimes comes up trumps.

Failing that, bail on automotive and go defense, tons of jobs on offer at the moment and they seem to love the converts :D

chimp007_uk
05-04-09, 09:45 PM
ime, have a stab at the agent and see if there are any junior roles. Sometimes comes up trumps.

Failing that, bail on automotive and go defense, tons of jobs on offer at the moment and they seem to love the converts :D

help a Swansea brother out :D

Stuart
05-04-09, 09:46 PM
I need to start there first lol, a week tuesday :D

chimp007_uk
05-04-09, 09:48 PM
hahaha I'll be waiting darling ;)

Stuart
05-04-09, 09:49 PM
iirc Lockheed Martin have a military automotive division in Ampthill... might be worth a dig round (was too far for me to commute :( ). Atleast it keeps you with automotive a bit :D

chimp007_uk
05-04-09, 09:55 PM
just having a mooch on Lockheed Martin's site now :) Ta!

chimp007_uk
05-04-09, 11:05 PM
Applied online :)

Cheers guys, fingers crossed I'm not given the run around!