PDA

View Full Version : Who's changed there SR vinyl???

Adam*D
05-04-09, 06:34 PM
Think I may be the proud owner of a very clean 2.0SR very soon:D It still has the vinyl along the bottom of the doors but it's starting to go next to the rear arches:roll: . Has anyone got any pics of sr's with replacement vinyl? I was talking to a mate today who had the same problem years ago and he had the vinyl removed and a body shop painted the bottom half and he said it looked quite impressive! I'm just looking for ideas at the moment tho as I don't think it's bad enough to pull off and re-do just yet:thumb:

Nova_Tek
05-04-09, 06:46 PM
Thought PNG shop had SR vinyl stuff for sale. Check out the PNG shop.

brainsnova
05-04-09, 06:56 PM
when i had my sr many moons ago the wings had been changed and painted the exact vinyl colour on them and i only noticed when i couldnt find the edge to peal it lol

Adam*D
05-04-09, 07:13 PM
Thought PNG shop had SR vinyl stuff for sale. Check out the PNG shop.
I've looked mate, I think £166 is a bit OTT for some black sticky plastic tho:roll:
plus if I bought that and made a bit of a mess fitting it I'd be quite upsetlol

smcgsi16v
05-04-09, 07:13 PM
In all honesty painting the bottom the same colour as the vinyl is the best way to go, I wouldn't bother replacing the vinyl.

CoolTiger
05-04-09, 08:05 PM
I've looked mate, I think £166 is a bit OTT for some black sticky plastic tho:roll:

that is really cheap to what a body shop would charge you are looking around the 300ish£+ mark for painting it

chimp007_uk
05-04-09, 08:13 PM
All you need is some stone guard paint... I did it one of my shells i've got. The finish is identical to the vinyl and its a rubberised paint finish "so it doesn't chip" lol

L14MNP
05-04-09, 08:35 PM
^ Or become a water trap!

dave.gsi
05-04-09, 09:37 PM
agreed, it just holds water - not good on an 80's vauxhall

rip it all of and paint it body colour :thumb:

ade
05-04-09, 10:42 PM
All you need is some stone guard paint... I did it one of my shells i've got. The finish is identical to the vinyl and its a rubberised paint finish "so it doesn't chip" lol

Based on the time its taking to get the exact colour match for the vinyl do you have the name of the paint you used?

The Matt black vinyl we're selling in the club shop is long life vinyl and matt black. The panels are pretty big so there's always a risk of fecking it up when fitting.

dj_wudgey
06-04-09, 12:11 AM

depends on what you want though i mean id pay a scilly price for a GM kit any day off the week lol but i doubt ill ever get one :cry:

get it painted though matey you will be able to get the couler matched!!

sport
06-04-09, 09:47 AM
I would go for painting if it was me. You can get a grey textured paint which is a good match.

dj_wudgey
06-04-09, 12:19 PM
I would go for painting if it was me. You can get a grey textured paint which is a good match.

you know the name/code for this dude??

Jack
06-04-09, 12:27 PM
I'm sure some people use Rover Hurricane Grey as a good match for the vinyl.

I guess the advantage of a paint is you could colour the bumpers to match. There's nowt worse than dark vinyl and faded grey bumpers!

dj_wudgey
06-04-09, 12:35 PM
they look beter standard than painted i think!! but sport what paint you say this is id be interested if it was textured paint and a good match!!

Edd
06-04-09, 01:49 PM
paint is ok as long as it matched to the bumpers. I'm currently waiting for my local sign wrighter place to get bk to me regarding the vinyl. Gave him peice of b pillar vinyl for reference. He said he would be able to get a match. :thumb::thumb: if he comes good I will obviosly help other people out.

Edd

sport
06-04-09, 03:49 PM
you know the name/code for this dude??

Will check with my spray man and find out.

draper
06-04-09, 04:49 PM

subscribed, would be handy for me aswell please

dj_wudgey
07-04-09, 01:25 AM

thanks allot matey your a trooper!!

dj_wudgey
07-04-09, 01:26 AM
paint is ok as long as it matched to the bumpers. I'm currently waiting for my local sign wrighter place to get bk to me regarding the vinyl. Gave him peice of b pillar vinyl for reference. He said he would be able to get a match. :thumb::thumb: if he comes good I will obviosly help other people out.

Edd

well sounds good edd!! ill keep you to that one lol

probert_nova
07-04-09, 03:07 AM
i sprayed bumpers and where the vynal was in vauxhall anthracite, looked good IMO but some people dont like the shinyness of it. rover hurricane grey seems the prefered choice. could find some pics if wanted of before and after.

ade
07-04-09, 09:32 AM
Huricane grey is gloss as well. You need a satin finish which needs to be hard wearing because you cant lacquer it (lacquering will make it go gloss).

Edd - let me know when/if you get a match - I;ve got vectored images for all panels (and others).

The current concensus is we get a 50mtr roll specially made up but that's gonna cost!

However if you want the authentic look that's the way to go.

phazer
07-04-09, 09:41 AM
I've got the b-pillars on mine painted as the vinyl kept cracking. You'll see on the pics I've posted on here that you can't tell the difference and it's textured.

The bodyshop I use happens to be a Vauxhall place and they have the paint listed as 'Bumper Paint', the painter said it should be listed under Vauxhall, all paint manufacturers should do it (they use Dupont). To get the textured finish he added a light grain for a light texture (which was 'gunned' with the paint).

He said you might have to hunt on the colour charts as they don't really use it anymore as Vauxhall haven't done the half vinyl cars for a few years lol

Hope that helps.

dj_wudgey
07-04-09, 11:51 AM
nice one phazer we just need the name code off the paint!! id rather pay through the nose for a proper full gm kit but its does not look like its going to happen lol

i dont like it when they have been sprayed and are shiny does not look as good imo should be dull like it was when they released the car lol

phazer
07-04-09, 03:46 PM
The guy who painted my car said it's in all of the paint books as 'Bumper Paint' - that's its colour, listed under Vauxhall paints.

dj_wudgey
07-04-09, 03:57 PM
The guy who painted my car said it's in all of the paint books as 'Bumper Paint' - that's its colour, listed under Vauxhall paints.

nice one matey ill give vauxhall a ring!!

phazer
07-04-09, 04:01 PM
Good luck - I know the guys at my dealer very well. I can imagine most won't be arsed to help lol

Anyway, just dug out a picture of the b-pillar, it's not shiney just the way it should be:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/phazer_mig/P1000048.jpg

dj_wudgey
07-04-09, 04:07 PM
Good luck - I know the guys at my dealer very well. I can imagine most won't be arsed to help lol

Anyway, just dug out a picture of the b-pillar, it's not shiney just the way it should be:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/phazer_mig/P1000048.jpg

that looks ace buddy but they just said no to me over the phone!! but they have told me no to parts which other people have managed to get hold off from other vauxhall dealers so i guess its just these!!

thanks any way mate!!

Adam*D
07-04-09, 05:55 PM
I like the look of that, think painting is the way to go :thumb:

dj_wudgey
07-04-09, 06:00 PM
I like the look of that, think painting is the way to go :thumb:

getting the paint is a problem too being trying today lol

dj_wudgey
08-04-09, 02:03 AM
how come people at car dealerships dont like to be helpfull at all!! rang a few places today still no luck!! hope ade or edd find the right vinyl!! or us lot are screwed!!

draper
08-04-09, 06:49 AM
I've got the b-pillars on mine painted as the vinyl kept cracking. You'll see on the pics I've posted on here that you can't tell the difference and it's textured.

The bodyshop I use happens to be a Vauxhall place and they have the paint listed as 'Bumper Paint', the painter said it should be listed under Vauxhall, all paint manufacturers should do it (they use Dupont). To get the textured finish he added a light grain for a light texture (which was 'gunned' with the paint).

He said you might have to hunt on the colour charts as they don't really use it anymore as Vauxhall haven't done the half vinyl cars for a few years lol

Hope that helps.

where abouts did you get that done fella ?? anywhere local ?

dj_wudgey
08-04-09, 11:56 AM

yea tell me aswell please lol i may have a ride through and get it done since no dealership is helpfull at all!!

ade
08-04-09, 12:47 PM
Ali (who worked at Vauxhall in Milgavie) advised the bumper paint code for Vauxhall was L107 - bumper grey.

Might need to check this though...

dj_wudgey
08-04-09, 01:15 PM
well i hope your right matey ill give them a try again!!!

phazer
08-04-09, 05:25 PM

Yeah, Marehay Vauxhall near Ripley. The work those guys do for me is always top notch.

phazer
08-04-09, 05:27 PM
Ali (who worked at Vauxhall in Milgavie) advised the bumper paint code for Vauxhall was L107 - bumper grey.

Might need to check this though...

That's probably the one they were on about - the details were off the top of the guys head. I've not seen the paint code books they've got and they did say no-one really needs to use it anymore.

dj_wudgey
08-04-09, 05:37 PM
That's probably the one they were on about - the details were off the top of the guys head. I've not seen the paint code books they've got and they did say no-one really needs to use it anymore.

well ill try for some been buisy today and not tried them but i will tomorow hope they can be botherd to sorce me some which i seriously doubt!!

ade
08-04-09, 05:50 PM
tbh I'm seriously looking at going satin black with a speckle through it - whenever I see a decent SR (usually white or yellow) the photos always show the bumpers blacker than normal due to the contrast in colours (light and dark) and I have to say I really really like it!

Original or not - I know my car's an SR - at the end of the day it's never going to be a factory restore jobby - it's just my daily runner!

I'll keep trying to source the correct shade of grey but its been over 9 months now and tbh I'm starting to give up...

dj_wudgey
08-04-09, 05:58 PM
right now i know the paint code ill go down to vauxhall!! how long ago did you have this done?

phazer could you ask your mate if they definately can still get it?? ill go off my nut if they tell me they cant get it and i know they can!!

Edd
08-04-09, 06:54 PM
My mate got bk to me regarding the vinyl today. He's got a few samples for me to look at. Il go down Monday and take a look and update everybody.

Edd

dj_wudgey
08-04-09, 07:30 PM
My mate got bk to me regarding the vinyl today. He's got a few samples for me to look at. Il go down Monday and take a look and update everybody.

Edd

nice matey your a star!! honestly i dont know what id do if i cant get a match for the stuff!! im a perfectionist and if its not exactly right it would ruin my car and plans imo so i hope this comes up trumps!!

phazer
09-04-09, 10:10 AM
right now i know the paint code ill go down to vauxhall!! how long ago did you have this done?

phazer could you ask your mate if they definately can still get it?? ill go off my nut if they tell me they cant get it and i know they can!!

I've replied to your PM.

The guy I spoke to is the guy that painted my car :) I asked about it a few weeks ago for someone else which is why I have the details.

Don't forget that the texture is added by the painter so you need someone good to get the right texture.

dj_wudgey
09-04-09, 12:12 PM
thanks allot phazer your a star!! i know a really good painter round here that can do it!!

thanks again though dude!!

Edd
10-04-09, 01:11 AM
painting it on dose sound easier, not so good if you decided that you don't like it tho!! I'm still hoping that my friend comes good. Dose anyone know if early sr vinyl 84 to 88 is different that of the 88 onwards?

dj_wudgey
10-04-09, 01:12 AM
painting it on dose sound easier, not so good if you decided that you don't like it tho!! I'm still hoping that my friend comes good. Dose anyone know if early sr vinyl 84 to 88 is different that of the 88 onwards?

yes matey the early one is just grey the later is blue/grey

i hope your mate comes good aswell lol

Edd
10-04-09, 01:44 AM
Yeah I thort that as well but iv seen A reg sr's in White with dark grey vinyl!! .....bit of a nightmare this vinyl !! As Ade probably knows!!

dj_wudgey
10-04-09, 12:23 PM
yea matey he's had a big problem aswell!! he said it looks like having a 50meter roll made up to get it which wont be cheap!!

ade
10-04-09, 03:13 PM
the tewxture on the paint is a simple spatter paint effect - I used to do it when making architectural models on the grass. You slow the gun down so the paint comes out a little thicker and "blobs" on - by spattering it across the area is gives a textured finish... You can also lighten it just a fraction to give it a more prominant effect...

Pillar
10-04-09, 07:12 PM
you could use something like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-PAINT-HYCOTE-BUMPER-AND-VINYL-BLACK-SPRAY-AEROSOL_W0QQitemZ400041070211QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item400041070211&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

SRimon
10-04-09, 07:53 PM
Like everyone says, black isn't the right colour, and any Nova's restored with black bottoms look wrong to me.

Pillar
10-04-09, 08:25 PM
Like everyone says, black isn't the right colour, and any Nova's restored with black bottoms look wrong to me. there is many others just have to get a close match
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HYCOTE-Bumper-Vinyl-Paint-Dark-Grey_W0QQitemZ200329440986QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item200329440986&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

phazer
11-04-09, 08:27 AM
the tewxture on the paint is a simple spatter paint effect - I used to do it when making architectural models on the grass. You slow the gun down so the paint comes out a little thicker and "blobs" on - by spattering it across the area is gives a textured finish... You can also lighten it just a fraction to give it a more prominant effect...

Mine was done with an additive to the paint, don't know whether they use sand or whatever. It's real not just an effect. I guess that's why it's still textured after 11 years.

dj_wudgey
11-04-09, 11:42 AM
Like everyone says, black isn't the right colour, and any Nova's restored with black bottoms look wrong to me.

i agree mate!! i think it looks wrong too!!